Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

• 1.  Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

Posted 04-10-2022 00:57
    My company has used TBC for years and we have just switched our surveyors to Access. They have been requesting the ability to stakeout a polyline (drainage line, easement, etc) with a reference to a centerline station and offset (for stake markup purposes). I have found where you can select a line and store it as a road then stake out with a reference to another RXL. But surely there is a better way?

Today, under the edit option for an RXL, I went to additional strings and stored some random station and offsets which is promising but not something i want our field guys doing. Is there not a way to add an additional string but select a polyline from the map? (plus, using emulator on my desktop, the additional string set keeps crashing Access). 

If anything, it would be nice to have a display on the screen that perpetually displays the station and offset of a predetermined alignment.

Any help or feedback would be great! Thank you!

------------------------------
    Josh Phillips

• 2.  RE: Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

Posted 04-11-2022 07:35
    Hello, We convert the linestring to an alignment in corridors and export the alignment as an RXL. Stations, Vpi, PC, and PT will be displayed in Access. We stake all your sites features using this method.   Hopefully this helps.

Thanks, Tom

Thomas Mauriello

• 3.  RE: Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

Posted 04-12-2022 08:47
    I think you need the Roads module to do what you are asking. If I had a collector in the office with roads I would test and confirm. Maybe someone here has the road module and can confirm or talk to your dealer about it.

Charles Wilt

• 4.  RE: Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

Posted 04-12-2022 10:52
    Roads is not required.

Thomas Mauriello

• 5.  RE: Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

Posted 04-12-2022 11:08
    Let me rephrase for clarity. If you want the station and offset to a reference alignment other than the line you are staking then you need roads. If you want the stationing to the line you are currently staking then create an alignment RXL and you do not need the roads module.

Charles Wilt

• 6.  RE: Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

Posted 04-12-2022 11:21

Understood. 

Good luck on your quest!

Thomas Mauriello

• 7.  RE: Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

Posted 04-12-2022 14:26
    Something I've been asking for for years. And SCS900/Siteworks can do exactly that since literally years. Setout a random line, select a second random line as reference and get the values shown for both of them. So simple.

BUT, don't ask me why, they are unable/unwilling to implement that in Access. After all, Access is the engineering surveying software. It should, as a minimum, have all of Siteworks' functionality.

But as the others have suggested, in Access you'll have to setout one of the lines as alignment with the road module and one as normal line string, and then you'll have to jump forth and back between the modules.

Ronny Schneider

• 8.  RE: Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

Posted 04-13-2022 07:10
    THIS IS A MUCH NEEDED FEATURE IN ACCESS! Why is this not included in Access?  It's mind boggling why this feature is not available to surveyors that use Access but is available to contractor's construction crews that use Siteworks.

Mike Hathaway

• 9.  RE: Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

Posted 04-14-2022 17:03
    I never came across the need for this. 12 d Field has a single string set out function, where you always have to select two strings, even it is actually one string, you must select the string twice. No body was able to explain this functionality. My question is, why is there a need for your request?

Heinz Lichtenberg

• 10.  RE: Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

Posted 04-15-2022 11:14
    Sure there is the option to store every line as a road but you can only import those individually. But we are talking about several lines and that can get very labor intensive. 

Heinz, to your question, it doesn't come up often. However, there are times our guys stake out lines that aren't part of a road/corridor (waterlines, gas lines, right of way, etc). In almost every case, our stakes have to show mainline stationing and offsets to them. 

From what I have noticed, there is no issue staking out an alignment (be it an xml or rxl but regardless it was a TBC alignment) and set another reference alignment. But I don't understand why we can't do the same with a polyline. In theory they are defined the same.

Josh Phillips

• 11.  RE: Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

Posted 04-15-2022 11:24
    And I understand we just stake to a line, stop survey, stake to a road and get a station/offset. But again, that becomes time consuming when you are talking about staking out 1,000 ft of right of way and drainage lines.

Josh Phillips

• 12.  RE: Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

Posted 04-17-2022 06:52
    Does Access not allow to have multiple windows open?  Survey Controller you were able to leave multiple windows open and just toggle from stake out to station offset.  We are about to demo Access to possibly replace Survey Pro which does not allow to leave multiple windows open also.  Access need to have this option for multiple windows if it doesn't and not have to charge extra for a road module.  Even the demo version you can't even access the road module.

Francisco Guerrero

• 13.  RE: Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

Posted 04-17-2022 08:31
    Francisco, I was under the assumption it was a possibility to have the general survey and road module running at the same time, however, from what my guys have seen in the field, that is not possible. 

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Josh Phillips

• 14.  RE: Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

Posted 04-17-2022 08:39
    You should be able to setup hotkeys to switch between roads and stakeout quickly.

Charles Wilt

• 15.  RE: Stakeout to a line/string with a reference alignment station & offset

Posted 06-10-2024 15:09

Thanks For posting this illustration. Many surveyors don't believe me or don't understand the need for this function when I explain what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm converting everyone who tries siteworks, this being but one of many functions made simple. 

Stephen Davis