Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Trimble Mobile Manager losing connection to device very frequently

• 1.  Trimble Mobile Manager losing connection to device very frequently

Posted 11-19-2021 15:36
    Hi all,
    I've been having an issue with TMM (2.9.0 iOS) where it will lose connection to my R1 at the drop of a hat.

I'll go through all the steps to connect, and using a RTK it'll get down to 55ish cm. I'll open my collection app: either Arc GIS Field Maps, Survey123, or Terraflex, and the precision will drop to 1 meter.
    When I go back to check, TMM says that it isn't connected to the R1, but once I flick the switch, it'll get back to normal.

I will then have to relaunch my collection app,  after which I might get one point in before it acts up again, or it might not get fixed at all.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this, or how to get around it?
    Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Trimble Mobile Manager losing connection to device very frequently
    Best Answer

Posted 11-21-2021 13:42
    Hi Alfred,

Each of the three data collection apps you use interacts with TMM differently, so you will see different behaviour. 
    • Field Maps: Use TMM to configure the correction method and coordinate system/Geoid. Once you have done this TMM should be disconnected from the receiver. Field Maps uses the configuration you set up in TMM, however it does not need TMM to be connected to the receiver while it is running, indeed you are seeing TMM disconnect by itself because Field Maps and TMM cannot be connected to the receiver at the same time.
    • Survey123: On iOS Survey123 consumes an NMEA stream direct from the receiver, TMM is needed in this configuration to feed corrections to the receiver and you should not see TMM get disconnected. You do need to make sure that your R1 firmware is up to date for this configuration.
    • TerraFlex: TerraFlex does not use TMM at all, all receiver configuration and management is done by TerraFlex itself. It is not possible to have TerraFlex and TMM connected to the receiver at the same time, so it is correct that TMM shows as disconnected.
    I'd recommend you look at the Product Configuration Guide here.

If you continue to have issues it would be worth contacting Trimble Support directly.

Best regards.

------------------------------
    Mark Kellaway

• 3.  RE: Trimble Mobile Manager losing connection to device very frequently

Posted 11-23-2021 09:02
    Hi Mark,
    I made an enhancement suggestion post this morning that has some relevance to this post - that is "Disconnect TMM" versus "Exit TMM".

Enhancement to TMM - Make Exit from TMM More Difficult to Do.

In light of the application scenarios, on non-Trimble apps, including Catalyst, the user community is confronted with the terms "Disconnect" versus "Exit" from TMM and I think TMM needs to be re-structured slightly to make this clear to the end user.  Disconnect keeps TMM alive for the 30-days on the device and running  the latter shuts down the TMM application, requiring re-engagement when the user has internet.   

Exiting TMM is way to easy under the Home Screen, with one click away and a no -return when this is done.   Make exiting TMM difficult to do, moving it under ABOUT or its own EXIT APPLICATION Tile with a confirmation popup that informs the user exiting means "Trimble identity and Multi-factor authentication" is required to re-instate. 

Joel Cusick

• 4.  RE: Trimble Mobile Manager losing connection to device very frequently

Posted 11-23-2021 14:11
    Hi Joel,

This is great feedback, thank you. As I've indicated I'm reviewing this with the UX team.

Thanks again,

Mark Kellaway

• 5.  RE: Trimble Mobile Manager losing connection to device very frequently

Posted 03-24-2022 09:54
    Bumping this thread because this is is turning into a real problem.
    Using iOS last week, I got into FieldMaps and had precision of about 70cm with the R1, which was expected. I watched it switch from 70cm to 2.1m before my eyes. This happened two or three times.
    I ended up using Collector for rest of the day, which gave me no problems.
    Given the precision shift, it appears to me that FieldMaps is dropping the R1 entirely and switching to the integrated provider.

The configuration chart indicates the two apps handle the connection differently, which may explain part of the problem.

That being said, I'm cross-posting this to the Esri Community and am interested in hearing if other people have this issue here.

Thanks!

Alfred Baldenweck

• 6.  RE: Trimble Mobile Manager losing connection to device very frequently

Posted 03-27-2022 16:13
    Hi Alfred,

It would be helpful if you could perhaps describe your workflow, listing your steps from switching your iOS device and your receiver on to the point where you see the accuracy drop in Field Maps.
    It seems unlikely to be switching to the integrated GNSS provider as iOS will not report accuracies as good as 2m.

Regards,

Mark Kellaway

• 7.  RE: Trimble Mobile Manager losing connection to device very frequently

Posted 03-28-2022 08:39
    Hi Mark,
    It looks like it turned out to be user-error in this case:
    You must open TMM before Field Maps, even though FieldMaps opens TMM by itself if it isn't open already. 

So, easy fix, still kind of weird behavior.
    Thanks for getting back to me.

Alfred Baldenweck