Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to transfer files to TDC600 to view on a map

• 1.  How to transfer files to TDC600 to view on a map

Posted 07-07-2021 06:13
    Is there a simple way to transfer files from the SIM card to the Trimble TDC600? Is it possible to put a KMZ file (Google Earth) on a SIM card, insert it and pull those files from the card into Google Earth as an application? How else do users transfer files? What are other apps I can use? Thanks!

------------------------------
    Sarah Fernandez

• 2.  RE: How to transfer files to TDC600 to view on a map
    Best Answer

Posted 07-07-2021 06:33
    Hi Sarah,

A TDC600 runs with an Android operating system which does allow manual transfer of data files. One of those methods is via USB. You can use the USB-C to USB 3.0 charging cable to connect the TDC600 to your computer and access the Android operating system files via File Explorer. In order to do this, you will likely need to put the TDC600 USB mode into a 'File Transfer Protocol' when it is plugged in.

The other common manual method is like you described, using a microSD card. Of you have a microSD card reader for your computer, you can load files onto that then transfer the microSD to the TDC600 underneath the battery door. Those files are then accessible through the operating system 'Files' application.

Your last option would be to use a cloud-based file sharing system like Google Drive or Dropbox where you can upload files from your computer to the cloud, then download them to the TDC600 while connected to the internet using a file sharing app.

Hope that helps!

Lane Carter

• 3.  RE: How to transfer files to TDC600 to view on a map

Posted 07-07-2021 06:56
    Hello Lane, 

Thank you for your response! I was able to use my microSD card from my GPS unit to get files onto the Trimble, but now when I try to open/view those files, it says ""there is no application associated with this type of file". Do I need to download certain applications to view certain files? In other words, do I need to download one application to view GPX files, another for ADM files, another for KMZ files, etc.?

Sarah Fernandez

• 4.  RE: How to transfer files to TDC600 to view on a map

Posted 07-08-2021 08:36
    Hi Sarah,

In this instance, yes you will likely need to download specific applications that can open/view your various file types. The Trimble TDC600 is similar to other Android-based devices and does not limit you to only use a single application. If you have KMZ's, ADM, or GPX files, perhaps you are more familiar with Garmin applications as these are all common exports or file types from those devices. On Android, several different applications can be downloaded to view such files - just need to find the one that best works for you.

Trimble's Android data collection software like PenMap or TerraFlex both have the ability to import KMZ files.

Lane Carter

• 5.  RE: How to transfer files to TDC600 to view on a map

Posted 08-23-2022 14:51
    Thank you, Lane. That resolved my issue completely!

Rick Hudson
    Mobile County, AL

Richard Hudson