Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Trimble siteworks can't select line

• 1.  Trimble siteworks can't select line

Posted 10-06-2022 07:12
    Hi, i  started work with TSC7 and Trimbe Siteworks and from first day have problems in selecting line to stake it or selecting it to make radius center. This problem is almost in every design.
    I make new design by saving in .dxf format from Autocad civil. (Don't have TBC license for it). All lines are polylines.
    Sometimes it helps to delay far away, pick near and chose from lines list.

------------------------------
    vytautas radvilavičius

• 2.  RE: Trimble siteworks can't select line

Posted 10-06-2022 08:07
    Yeah, it's an issue and very frustrating. Send me the dxf here: adam@abcivilconsulting.com

I'll see if running the convert to linestrings command in TBC, then exporting the dxf changes anything. I forget if it's possible the linework has a UCS attached to it.

Adam Bower

• 3.  RE: Trimble siteworks can't select line

Posted 10-06-2022 21:48
    Hi,
    You have to export dxf from TBC.

Kazimir Subotovic

• 4.  RE: Trimble siteworks can't select line

Posted 10-08-2022 07:44
    I'm not sure I quite understand what exactly the issue is?  When tapping and holding on a DXF line in the map screen the line is not selectable or does not come up in the pop up menu?  When you tap and hold, Siteworks will look for all lines at a certain radius away from the tap point, and depending on how many lines are in there, will either select the only line in the radius or give a list of all the lines in there (which I'm sure you have noticed)... If you are zoomed in on the line and not able to select it, that is not the expected behavior.  What are you seeing?  A "Free Pick Point"?  

And it sounds like you are already aware that the DXF/DWG needs to be an actual "Design" chosen during the Design creation process, and not used as the "Project Map" when creating a new project?  The "Project Map" - which is a CAD file that lives in the main project Directory of the folder structure, is a "Background map" that will appear on screen, but not be selectable.  Based on your statement that you are able to eventually select objects by tapping further away, you sound like you have that figured out :) 

One other workflow to try is to use the actual stake command by going into the Menu > Stake, and then using the Stake Object selection screen.  That is a dedicated screen for selecting stakeout objects, and also will give you access to a list of stakeout objects by using the list icon in the upper right of the Select Object screen.   Using that list is greatly enhanced by having the lines named properly in AutoCad, as the "(Unnamed CAD)" lines will not show up in the list, and will have to be selected by tapping on them in the Select Object screen. But please do try selecting lines via the Stake command rather than tapping and holding on the main screen. 

One other benefit of using the Menu>Stake command is when using the stake command vs just tapping and holding on a line while in Measure mode, after you complete staking, you will remain in stakeout mode, and be prompted to stake the next object.  This is in contrast to the tap and hold, which is just a "quick stake" command, designed to only stake one object and will return to measure mode after the stakeout is done.  

Another thing to try is to use the DWG directly, as Siteworks does support DWG as linework files as well.  Not sure if that will improve, but it could perhaps save some steps in the export if you are able to use the same design file in the office and the field.  

If you'd like to post a screen capture video and some of the data you are having trouble with, that would help us understand what it is you are seeing and perhaps lead to a better solution, or a bug report to get filed.  

Steve DiBenedetto

• 5.  RE: Trimble siteworks can't select line

Posted 10-08-2022 08:26
    Steve,

It does seem by his original post that it could be some sort of operator error issue, but I will say I was a survey manager over 2 surveyors using Trimble most of their career from the start of SCS900 and in Siteworks they had reported the exact same issue. Can't select the arc to create a radius point. I believe it may have something to do with a UCS but I think I even eliminated that as a possibility, I forget now. I know Siteworks doesn't like UCS objects. The Convert to  Linestring command cleans it up quickly. Also, I just started to use a RPS command to generate all radius points and then they didn't have to worry about the issue of selecting the arc to create the radius. We had the exact same thing happen. I wish the OP was able to send me the files so I can run them through an emulator. I think we also had issues with selecting lines to stake and it was also a UCS issue.

Adam

Adam Bower