Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

• 1.  Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 04-29-2021 04:54
    Hello,

I'm having a problem exporting pointclouds from TBC (V5.32) to RCP format. I follow the instructions in the TBC help files and while they work perfectly for e57 format, whenever I try to export to RCP TBC crashes out after about 20 seconds. Then when I try to open and reload the project I get a warning that there is a 'lock' as it is still open somewhere (it isn't, I've checked in Windows Task Manager). Then sometimes when I open and reload I've lost my registration or sometimes even the entire pointcloud has gone missing and I have to start the project again. Now it's not too much of a problem exporting to e57 and indexing in ReCap (and I find this quicker than exporting to RCP project directly from Realworks, as I used to do from Faro Scene as well), but it is a NTH as occasionally it can save that extra step if I'm very busy.

------------------------------
    Ken Bazley

• 2.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 04-30-2021 02:34
    Hi Ken,

It might be a case of asking IT to put TBC 5.4 on for you.  Please let me know what size of point cloud you are seeing issues with and I'll check there are no issues with a cloud of a similar size my end.

Regards, Richard.

Richard Selby

• 3.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 05-05-2021 01:34
    Thanks Richard. I'll try to prompt them but, as you know they have their own timetable for pushing software out!

Ken Bazley

• 4.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 05-12-2021 08:41
    Had TBC 5.4 installed today and I'm afraid to say it still crashes when trying to export an RCP project. We're talking about a very small pointcloud here - only 3 scans - exported E57 is only 240mb

Ken Bazley

• 5.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 05-12-2021 11:24
    Hey Ken, 

Can you provide the data that you're seeing this issue with? 

I'll see if I can reproduce on my end. 

Regards,

Shane Lyons

Shane Lyons

• 6.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 08-26-2021 09:26

i have been seeing this same issue for several months now. sometimes it will create a RCP but most of the time it will just stop creating the RCP as soon as i click convert to RCP. Was there ever a fix for this issue?

Dustin sirman

• 7.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 08-30-2021 13:18
    Do you have Autodesk Recap Pro installed with a valid license?  It's needed to export the RCP format.

Robert Hoy

• 8.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 08-31-2021 00:39
    Yes. All software we use is fully licensed.

Ken Bazley

• 9.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 09-16-2021 04:29
    i have had this issue today as well

• 10.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 09-16-2021 04:36
    I may have found a solution, did you have only point clouds displayed and selected? i tried and had also got cad lines selected, I turn off everything but scan data, and it seems to have worked

• 11.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 11-17-2021 01:39
    We have been having this same issue for months... Super frustrating.  I tried Alan's solution, but that doesn't work for us.  This has been the same on multiple versions (including most recent 5.60).  no error logs created... just stops.  We have 2020 and 2022 Recap installed, licensed, etc.  I would really like to see a solution for this if anyone has one.

Peter Seaders

• 12.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 11-18-2021 13:39
    I was having the same issue, and found that if work on my local C-Drive, then it works.

willie stoll

• 13.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 11-19-2021 02:13
    I haven't tried this export route for a while but I've always performed laser scan registrations and exports on the C drive so there's no network-related issues going on.

Ken Bazley

• 14.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 05-06-2022 15:59
    I have been having the same crashing issue and I had been exporting to our server. Once I changed the export destination to my desktop, worked completely fine with no issue! Thank you.

Akos Seres

• 15.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 05-08-2022 07:47

Akos,

THANK YOU!!! That worked for me.  Seems like an obvious thing to try, but obviously it isn't obvious. �� 

Hello Trimble... You now have a known issue here.  RCP export fails when writing to a network drive.  Please fix!!!

Thanks,

Peter Seaders, PE/PLS

Peter Seaders

P.S. – Please use "Reply All" when appropriate to help keep people informed.

• 16.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 05-08-2022 17:40
    It could be possible that if there's an interruption in the network connection to your server/network drive that TBC can't handle the interruption? Could be a more isolated user phenomenon than a universal problem? I'm sure Trimble testing writes to network drives.

Robert Hoy

• 17.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 05-19-2022 14:03

Not sure.  Seems like a reasonable cause, but the server and workstation in question are on the same machine so there really is not network connection between them that can get interrupted.  Also, I think TCPIP protocol is specifically designed to handle interruptions in the connection, but not sure what the TBC software is doing behind the scenes.

Thanks,

Peter Seaders, PE/PLS

Peter Seaders

P.S. – Please use "Reply All" when appropriate to help keep people informed.

• 18.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 06-01-2022 11:31
    I'm having the same problem. I select the cloud to Export, pick my save location and pick RCP as the save format and the moment I press save the program crashes with no information as to why.  It hasn't corrupted my file thankfully. It's the only computer actively using the server (and there's not enough room on the desk top to try the round about method) so i don't think that that's the problem.
    Unless someone knows another way to get point clouds out and into Revit which is the end goal.

Anna Teadtke

• 19.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 06-01-2022 12:21
    You might try and external hard drive connected to your local machine, but I was never able to do an export to a network drive... It always crashed like you described.

Thanks,

Peter Seaders, PE/PLS

1520881612748_Peter

• 20.  RE: Export pointcloud to RCP crash problem

Posted 06-02-2022 07:38
    I think this is a memory problem. Crashed with 360 million points. Resampling and after  that operated with 240 million points.

Attila Tóth