Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Creating holes in Polygons

• 1.  Creating holes in Polygons

Posted 03-08-2023 13:15

I'm trying to see if it's possible to create a polygon and then be able to punch holes through it so that there's an internal surface inside of the polygon that I can use to snap another polygon to. Below there's two layers that overlap each other (Figure 1) and often sit below the layer I want them both to exist at (Figure 2). I want the internal green polygons to be able to snap to a boundary inside of the orange polygon so that they create a single smooth polygon together.

Original Polygon1(Figure 1)
    Original Polygon2
    (Figure 2)

I can technically create these holes with the "tracked Regions" function but the act of doing so converts the orange polygon into a LineString and automatically sets the elevation to 0 (Figure 3). And I need to export as a Polygon and with correct elevation.

Tracked Region

(Figure 3)

I also can do the same by turning the bounding orange polygon into a surface (Figure 4) and the using the "Add/Remove Surface Boundaries" function to create these holes, but again, I need to export as a polygon not as a surface.

Add Surface Boundaries
    (Figure 4)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ross

------------------------------
    Ross Bichener

• 2.  RE: Creating holes in Polygons

Posted 03-08-2023 14:33

@Ross Bichener What software are you using in this case?

Matthew Morris

• 3.  RE: Creating holes in Polygons

Posted 03-09-2023 02:34

@Matthew Morris Trimble Business Center - Version 5.60 (5.60.8046.36884)

Ross Bichener

• 4.  RE: Creating holes in Polygons

Posted 03-10-2023 11:12

Got it. You're probably best then to post this question in the Trimble Business Center Community. Unfortunately, I can't cross post this - you'll have to do a copy/paste. 

Matthew Morris