Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

TSC5 Could be Used for GIS - Currently not useful

• 1.  TSC5 Could be Used for GIS - Currently not useful

Posted 03-22-2023 10:37

The TSC5 is marketed to only the Surveying community.  We in GIS ask the question... Why just use the TSC5 for Access?

Combine the TSC5 with the EM100 module (basically an R1) in combination with ESRI Field Maps could be put to use, but the screen doesn't rotate to Landscape.

Why couldn't Trimble improve this small update?

It doesn't make sense to make this wonderful controller, combined with a submeter module like the EM100 difficult to use.

I'm cross posting this to the ACCESS community forum.

GIS devices use by well-designed Trimble engineering staff continue to leave GIS users out of the MARKETING LOOP.  Its clear we (GIS) don't have the "ear" of Trimble anymore in our device choices.   

Please consider this small update as a viable alternative to making the TSC5 only useful for ACCESS.

Here is a photo of a TSC5 with the Empower EM100 module.  Would you use this in the field?

------------------------------
    Joel Cusick

• 2.  RE: TSC5 Could be Used for GIS - Currently not useful

Posted 03-22-2023 17:24

Hi Joel,

Thank you for your feedback

Unfortunately the Trimble EM100 is now end of life, but we have taken your comments about the suitability of the TSC5 in GIS workflows onboard.

I believe Esri would need to make a change in FieldMaps to recognize the TSC5 as a landscape orientated device so the application will rotate.

Thanks

Hamish

Hamish MacMillan
    TerraFlex Product Manager

• 3.  RE: TSC5 Could be Used for GIS - Currently not useful

Posted 03-22-2023 17:41
    Edited by Joel Cusick 03-23-2023 19:26
    Hi Hamish,
    That would be great.
    Were greatly saddened by another receiver option that is being deprecated from within the "MAPPING WORLD".   The R1, deprecated, the R2, pretty old in the teeth, the EM100..... All could be used for Solid submeter SBAS corrections, bypassing the otherwise BYOD device.
    Surely Trimble could see some value in keeping alive the more WAAS (and now 20cm Galileo HAS service) on a receiver that is plug and play, like the EM100, or the R1.   
    I think I represent a few folks in the GIS world that feel like were getting a bit squeezed with so few options, and of course, here in DOI, the limitation of not being able to use Trimble Cloud services.  
    Hope you understand.  Thanks for the time to make my comments.
    cheers.
    Joel Cusick

• 4.  RE: TSC5 Could be Used for GIS - Currently not useful

Posted 03-23-2023 13:45

Some more points to recommend the TSC5 for any data capture application are the full keyboard (after using TSC5 for data entry, I hate doing data entry on a touch screen keyboard) and the huge internal battery life of TSC5.  Oh, and the light weight of TSC5.

As Hamish says, it's up to ESRI to support Landscape orientation in their applications - but to support the GIS community we should ask Trimble to add Landscape support in TerraFlex as well.

Norman Smart

• 5.  RE: TSC5 Could be Used for GIS - Currently not useful
    Best Answer

Posted 03-23-2023 15:19
    Edited by Joel Cusick 05-14-2023 11:46
    Hi Norman,
    thanks for the info.  Then, like ESRI mobile platforms (i'm assuming not only Field maps requires the landscape mode but Survey123 and Quick Maps as well).  Good to know TerraFlex isn't operational either on the TSC5 either.  Mr. Hoy indicated Terraflex as an option.   More importantly, would be the low quality GNSS engine inside the TSC5.   A "R1" equivalent EM module (the TSC5 has two available mount points) would make sense to enhance the use of this product in the GIS line.
    Joel /23/2023 4:45:00 PM
    Subject: RE: TSC5 Could be Used for GIS - Currently not useful

Some more points to recommend the TSC5 for any data capture application are the full keyboard (after using TSC5 for data entry, I hate doing data entry on a touch screen keyboard) and the huge internal battery life of TSC5.  Oh, and the light weight of TSC5.

As Hamish says, it's up to ESRI to support Landscape orientation in their applications - but to support the GIS community we should ask Trimble to add Landscape support in TerraFlex as well.

Norman Smart

• 6.  RE: TSC5 Could be Used for GIS - Currently not useful

Posted 03-24-2023 15:14

For those you are wanting a Trimble Android device that supports Trimble Access and Esri FieldMaps and other 3rd party applications. I would encourage you to look at the TDC600 which supports both Portrait and Landscape modes. The TSC5 was purpose built as a replacement for the legacy TSC3 and with the built-in key board. It doesn't make sense for this device with extended keyboard to be placed into Portrait mode. When running Trimble Access on the TDC600 it supports either Portrait mode or Landscape mode. Like Hamish mentions, Esri Field Maps which doesn't support Landscape mode on large format Android Tablets (at least currently) see Esri Support Blog. https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-ideas/field-maps-screen-rotation-orienatation/idi-p/1016271 Contact your local dealer to learn more about the Trimble TDC600. Great small form factor and versatile platform. https://geospatial.trimble.com/products-and-solutions/trimble-tdc600 

Mel Philbrook