AnsweredAssumed Answered

Am I mistaken of is there is no ability to model a Cul-De-Sac with no center island?

Question asked by Patrick L'heureux on Jan 11, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 11, 2019 by Alan Sharp

This question is part of the blog post I started about dynamic modeling:

Dynamic Modeling - Takeoff to Surface Model 

Modeling Cul-De-Sacs with no Center island

After some further investigation, it looks like the Cul-De-Sac tool does not support Cul-De-Sacs that do not have center islands, such as the Cul-De-Sacs in the sample data provided. 

If I add a center island, I can get the cross slope of the lane to be -2%, but it models the center of the Cul-De-Sac incorrectly because it creates and island and there should not be one. I couldn't not find a way to fake a no island using the tool. 

Enhancement Request:

1. I think there should be an addition to island type: no center island. this would keep the Cul-De-Sac flush from the the center to the edge of lane/shoulder carry the desired lane cross slope. 

1. There should also be a new line command that allows you to set the island as a void. This would apply a boundary line to the Cul-DeSac and allow the user to manually model the center of the Cul-De-Sac.
  • island - would be the default
  •  void
    • This would allow create a void at the center of the Cul-De-Sac and allow the user to add any customization they may need for the center island

This can be accomplished by adding a boundary lines, one the exterior of the Cul-De-Sac and one the center island of the Cul-De-Sac, but the user could lose some of the dynamic capabilities if the shape of the island and Cul-De-Sac changes

Thank you.

Cross slope example:

Examples of projects with these parameters( no center island):

Outcomes