AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is it possible to calculate earthwork volumes using three surfaces?

Question asked by Chris Haskins on Aug 31, 2020
Latest reply on Aug 31, 2020 by Alan Sharp

Hello!

I am somewhat new to Trimble Business Center and need some help figuring out how to calculate earthwork volumes for payment per the requirements of my contract. I have the Survey Advanced Edition of TBC.

In essence, my project is a giant drainage channel. My project file contains three surfaces: an existing ground surface, a final excavated surface, and what we call a "template" surface that defines the limits for payment. Payment is not provided for any material that was not excavated and remains in place above the template surface. Payment is also not provided for any additional material excavated below the template surface. Below is a visual depiction of these limits.

I need to determine the earthwork volume that is below the existing ground, above the template surface when the final excavated surface is lower than the template surface, and above the final excavated surface when the template surface is lower than the final excavated surface.

I have gotten as far as creating my surfaces and generating a corridor. However, it looks like I can only get the program to calculate volumes based on only two out the three surfaces at any given time.

I have considered generating multiple earthwork reports to calculate the cuts and fills between the different surfaces, and then adding and subtracting the different cuts and fills to get the volume I need. However, I believe my client is expecting a single earthwork report as backup for the payment quantity. I also need to submit a PDF of the cross sections showing a visual depiction of the area excavated.

Appreciate the help in advance.

Outcomes