Patrick L'heureux

Dynamic Modeling - Takeoff to Surface Model

Discussion created by Patrick L'heureux on Jan 9, 2019

One of my goals this winter is to try and keep as many objects dynamically linked as long as possible throughout the takeoff/modeling process. This will help when there are changes from the engineer, situational changes, or if we need to make accommodations for material (increase/decrease cut and fill). I think this will make re-running takeoff quantities a lot easier and quicker. I had this happen to me on a subdivision project a couple weeks ago where the typical cross section change. Traditionally, this would have taken me a while to manually tweak everything but because I used the corridor function, the changes were a fraction of the time and I felt confident that I did not miss something. 

I have attached a small project below that I feel is a good project to test out because there is a good mix of modeling objects without being to overwhelming. I was able to model this very quickly using the corridor tools and intersection function. Two sections that I was not able to dynamically model where the cul-de sacs. When I tried to model the curb and sidewalk all the way around the cul-de-sac, the linework did not match like it should because it was offsetting the features perpendicular to the alignment and not to the previous feature (which I totally understand why). 

I think the create side slope tool will help with this. The create side slope tool is a very useful feature because it does the same thing as the corridor tool without as much leg work. In the future I would like to see either an addition to this command or a new command that is just as easy to start and use the template but stays dynamic. Currently the tool acts more as a very efficient way of offset (which is great, so please don't interrupt that as being negative). I think a combination between the current capabilities and the surface tie would be great where this side slope acts more like a surface.   

One of the issues is that if my reference line changes horizontally or vertically, I need to rerun the command and make sure I have saved the previous templates. I do not have the ability to change this linestring dynamically once the command has been performed. 

**Correction:The side slope linestrings do update dynamically  when the source reference line is updated.

For now, I am going to take the 3D breakline around the cul-de-sac, create an alignment from this and apply my templates. I think this will be a suitable work around. 

There may be a better way of doing this and if so please let me know. Thank you!

Attachments

Outcomes