The create utility line from a linestring needs an option for the user to select what the vertical location of the selected lines are:
- Top of pipe
- center of pipe
- Bottom of pipe (OD)
Then TBC uses the properties of of the site improvement selected, the pipe is created accurately.
Typically, you are not going to have a line that represents the center of the pipe run. It will either be:
- top of pipe (recording shots as it is installed either from layout foreman or excavators)
- bottom of pipe (conduit is an example where the trench may be dug and the layout foreman is able to go through and shot the bottom before pipe is installed)
- invert shots ( drainage and sewer, layout foreman is able to record accurate shots on inverts by popping covers and recording shots).
This process is especially a pain when a TBC user is using linework from field crews that represents the top of pipe.(Something I am doing right now)
- Import linework from the field
- Look up specs of material
- Use offset to offset the line to the center of pipe
- Now I have an additional, unnecessary line
- I can either keep or delete
- Use the create Utility Line function to create the pipe run
Steps 2 and 3 could definitely be eliminated and speed up the process.