AnsweredAssumed Answered

Create Side Slope, Curb Machine Models, and Corners

Question asked by Richard Tyndall on Oct 2, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 17, 2019 by Richard Tyndall

When stringless slipforming typical vertical curb, a flat surface following the profile of the reference line, among other things is required. It is recommended that on the machine side of the reference line, the surface extends at least as wide as the full with of the machine. The surface I create is usually 10' in front of the face of curb, and 2 or 3' behind the face of curb. The "Create Side Slope - Copy No Edit" command works spectacularly for this task, with the exception of........corners. In order to overcome this issue and produce a flat surface into the corners, while still only producing one surface for the entire project, I basically manually miter the corners as follows:

1. Break the master 3d line at the corners and use the side slope command to produce overlapping linework. (Fig. 1)

2. Use the chamfer command to join the line work. I use the "one distance" option of 0.07' so that the newly created chamfered segment is roughly 0.10' long. (Fig. 2). The linework that is chamfered and ultimately added to the surface is a copy of the linework produced by the side slope command that I copy to a different layer. (making a copy to a different layer may prove out to be an unnecessary step)

3. Draw breaklines from the corners of the new chamfer segments to properly model the miter. (Fig. 3 and Fig.4). I turn on "Quick Contours" at 0.10 interval as a verification that everything is as it should be.

The questions are:

1. Is there an easier more efficient way, from directly within the side slope command, to get through the corners while maintaining the desired cross slope of the surface all the way into the corners, as shown?  (This would also sorta apply to corner and gridzone modeling for MSE Walls.)

2. If the master line is modified in any way, the program obviously modifies the side slope lines as expected, however, it also deletes the copied lines that are on a different layer and part of the surface. Is there some way to prevent the copied lines from being deleted? (explode the lines?)

While this method in itself is not overly burdensome or time consuming considering, there is usually a better way. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Fig.1

Fig 2

Fig.3

Fig. 4

Outcomes