AnsweredAssumed Answered

What are the best practices for building site models for machine control?

Question asked by john chronister on Oct 6, 2019
Latest reply on Nov 8, 2019 by Jason Kuiack

I see a lot of information pertaining to corridor modeling on here, but very little about creating surfaces for things like ponds, parking lots, and landscaping areas where alignments aren't used and the only info you have to go off is grading plans. Most of the sites we do are apartment complexes, so I need to model the parking area, the landscaping area, any detention ponds that are on site, and the building pads. 

I'm building these models for our dozers and blades to use in the field, but I'm not really sure if I'm providing too much information or not enough information. I'd like to tailor my process to how the machine operators grade the site. I use the quick contours command to aid the process as I go (I don't include the design contours as members of the surface and cross check the quick contours generating off my surface with the contours provided in the grading plan), but this normally requires a lot of breaklines in odd places to get it close. 

I'd like to know your process for modeling a parking lot and landscaping area?

By landscaping area, I mean modeling from the building foundations to the back of curb, getting all the details of the hills, swales and finished grade that the contours are detailing on the plans, while ensuring your sidewalks and ramps all meet ADA requirements. 

By parking area, I mean a surface of the area contained within the face of curb, getting all swales, grade breaks, and inlets included, while ensuring all handicap parking areas meet ADA requirements.

I understand this question is very broad, but I'd at least like to start a conversation about how people here approach this type of modeling and the different methods used to get finished products that the operators can use. 

Outcomes