Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Moved my point cloud import, looking how to get it back

• 1.  Moved my point cloud import, looking how to get it back

Posted 06-03-2019 06:13

Not realizing that TBC by default doesn't import a .las file to the local file folder, I cleaned up my downloads folder and backed it up onto my hard disk drive. I wondered why my scan info was gone but didn't really need it at the time. I want to work on getting it back, I moved the original folder back into downloads but I still have nothing. I spent a lot of time separating trees into a junk layer, I'm hoping all of this is not lost. Any other way to get TBC to recognize that file the way it was before?

Thanks.

• 2.  Re: Moved my point cloud import, looking how to get it back

Posted 06-03-2019 11:01

When you import Point Clouds as you have found, you can copy the point cloud files into the project folder or not (that makes a duplicate copy of the source data in the Project Folder, however the LAS file is not the file that TBC ultimately uses. The Point Cloud file is read into a Project Database File that also sits in the Project Folder system (provided that you are using Project Folders (Support -Options - Project Management - Use Project Subfolders [ x ]) - if you are not using Project Subfolders then all of the Project Data gets stored in your default Projects Path (Support - Options - Project Management - Project Management Folder.

Each Project where you bring in Point Cloud data creates a folder called SdeDatabase.rwi and in that folder you will find the "indexed versions" of your point cloud file(s) as .rwcx files. You will also find an .SDB and an .SDM file in the root folder of the project after importing a scan file.

So if you have somehow lost these folders / files for the project you need to work out how to restore them in order to get your data back to where you were. You may have to exit TBC and Restart in order to get them to pick up correctly

There may also be a reference to the scan file - I am not sure on that - however I would expect it to look in the Project Folder and the original file location if that was the case - so maybe just placing a copy in the Project Folder would work - a Restart of TBC will be required for that to pick up. 

I tried to reconstruct what you did to see if I could recreate what you are seeing

1. I started a new project
    2. I imported a LAS file from my downloads folder - it creates the above database files etc
    3. I saved the project and exited the project and TBC (to be sure)
    4. I then deleted the las file from my Downloads folder
    5. I restarted TBC and reopened the project - the point cloud was still there 

This tells me that the issue you are having is somewhere else - it could be that you have one of the following issues

1) See if the point cloud shows up on a different color background

2) Try CTRL A to select All and see if it shows up as selected

3) Check your folder systems to make sure that the SDE database files are all present

4) Make sure that your Point Cloud Regions and Scans are all turned on

5) Set your View Filter to ALL to make sure that it is not just turned off

6) Make sure your Selection Explorer is not set to only display certain things (In View Filter Manager)

Sorry for the above basic checks - you likely know all those but I always have to start there as sometimes it is just View Filters or similar that people have set incorrectly

If the above don't work let me know and I will ask around to see if anyone else has any ideas 

Alan

• 3.  Re: Moved my point cloud import, looking how to get it back

Posted 06-04-2019 09:32

Alan,

Thanks for the thorough response. I've tried all of the checks and I still can't get it to work.

I do have the SdeDatabase.rwi folder, and its contents are:

Database.dmt

SdeDatabase_Station3_Scan3.rwcx

SdeDatabase_Station7_Scan7.rwcx

trwdb.db1

trwlayer.lay

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Adam

• 4.  Re: Moved my point cloud import, looking how to get it back

Posted 06-04-2019 15:18

Have you tried using the Restore All function in Point Clouds - if you deleted point cloud data somehow, this will bring it all back and should honor any regions that you have created

Alan

• 5.  Re: Moved my point cloud import, looking how to get it back

Posted 06-11-2019 04:17

So, I've tried everything, even restore all. I had created a new file and brought in the same scan but did not process it. I just noticed today that the new file doesn't show the point cloud either after some time. Something is going on and I'm not sure what it is. My TBC files are stored in OneDrive, could that have something to do with it? I haven't had any issues with anything else. It definitely works when I drag it in, and am successful using it for days, then it goes away. Would you be willing to look at my file? I can send a link that will download the entire file structure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 6.  Re: Moved my point cloud import, looking how to get it back

Posted 06-11-2019 04:34

Sure I can look

Alan

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Re: Moved my point cloud import, looking how to get it back

Posted 08-03-2022 17:17
    Hi Adam

Having similar issues with .e57 point cloud imported in to TBC. Did you get any where with this in the end?

Cheers
    Tara

------------------------------
    Tara Elliott
    ------------------------------