Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Takeoff materials that go down to original ground

• 1.  Takeoff materials that go down to original ground

Posted 04-07-2021 16:32
    I'm curious if anyone has any tricks for creating a takeoff site improvement that has a material where the depth has a maximum value or stops at original ground (or stripping).  For example if you have a building pad that has 8" of concrete, 12" of gravel, and then structural fill down to a max depth of 6'.  If you put in 6' as the depth it will create a cut if the 6' goes below original ground.  As far as I know there is no property or setting that allows it to be clipped at the original ground?

Seems like that would be a useful feature to add in if it doesn't already exist.

------------------------------
    Wayne Welshans

• 2.  RE: Takeoff materials that go down to original ground

Posted 04-07-2021 19:56
    Hi Wayne, 

How about the workflow below:

1) Create your improvement surface, even if it has unwanted cuts.
    2) Merge your improvement surface with original ground using "keep maximum" option

Marian Plucinski

• 3.  RE: Takeoff materials that go down to original ground

Posted 04-08-2021 05:15
    Thank you Marian.  That is basically what I do now.  It makes it rather difficult to get the quantity of the select fill that has the variable depth though.  Currently I will use my Keep Maximum surface and compute earthwork report between that and subgrade (without the structural fill in it), using all the paved areas as boundaries.  Its a lot of extra steps, especially when building takeoff surfaces and running takeoff report takes so long to complete even on a small site.

Wayne Welshans

• 4.  RE: Takeoff materials that go down to original ground

Posted 04-08-2021 15:12
    Edited by Rob Davidson 04-08-2021 15:15
    Wayne,

You could not define the structural fill, and then run an earthworks report between the FL with SG adjusted model and original (stripped) ground with the Volume Breakdown option set to 'By depth increment' to 6' and the slab outline(s) (named to identify in report) as a volume boundary(s). Reported cut will be to achieve the defined conc/gravel; fill to depth 6' is structure; and the balance in general fill.

Rob Davidson

• 5.  RE: Takeoff materials that go down to original ground

Posted 04-09-2021 05:19
    Rob,  Ah yes that is a good idea.  I hadn't thought of volumes by depth increment.  Thank you!

Wayne Welshans

• 6.  RE: Takeoff materials that go down to original ground

Posted 03-14-2024 02:20

I know this old post, but it's this kind of feature that is crazy to me there's still no way to do this simple very common task.

Mark Matthews

• 7.  RE: Takeoff materials that go down to original ground

Posted 03-14-2024 11:57

It is in the Overexcavation command.

Nelson Hays