Trimble Penmap

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Penmap vs Terraflex for data collection and import/export

• 1.  Penmap vs Terraflex for data collection and import/export

Posted 09-23-2022 10:17
    Experienced Terrsync user, looking to upgrade from GeoXH to a new DA2 antenna + tablet. Trying to decide on the best software solution for my work flow. I need to collect X,Y data, import into AutoCAD, then export my design (DWG or DXF) and stakeout locations. I have in the past accomplished this with Terrasync and GPS Pathfinder Office. Can anyone explain to me which of these programs would be a better option and why?

------------------------------
    ADAM HOLTZ

• 2.  RE: Penmap vs Terraflex for data collection and import/export

Posted 09-23-2022 19:34
    Adam,

I would definitely recommend PenMap given that you are looking to do basic collection, stakeout, and export to CAD format.  PenMap would definitely fit better here based on your needs. It's slightly more expense but definitely worth it. It works just as great as TerraFlex with the DA2 + a quality rugged android device (TDC 600 or Juniper CT8X2). PenMap also allows for creating projects on the fly from your android device versus TerraFlex where you need to create via a web browser on your desktop (or tablet but not the best experience). You can also export right on the android device versus your desktop with TerraFlex. Both are great for different purposes but PenMap here is clearly the winner unless there's additional features that you haven't mentioned.

Zach Edwards

• 3.  RE: Penmap vs Terraflex for data collection and import/export

Posted 09-26-2022 08:20
    Thanks Zach. Strongly considering Penmap now. It sounds like this would create the most streamlined work flow. And- Thanks for the recommendation on android device, I'm leaning toward the Juniper.

I also saw your post RE: accuracy issues with Penmap:

https://community.trimble.com/discussion/penmap-staking-accuracy-live-versus-as-staked-point-accuracy#bm1f4c2c65-9184-4e47-9c01-c9075d975162

I wasn't clear on what you were referring to as "as-staked" and "single epoch" shots. Should I be concerned with this?

ADAM HOLTZ