Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Catalyst Accuracy in Peru

• 1.  Catalyst Accuracy in Peru

Posted 05-04-2022 10:46
    Does anyone have any insights as to how accurate Catalyst can be in Peru?  RTXAL (Latin America) is available in Peru. I have a Catalyst kit (DA2 antenna and a TDC600) and will be mapping in a remote area in highland Peru that does not have internet service. Internet is available in the nearby town.  

I would like to use the highest accuracy subscription possible (Catalyst 1cm) for mapping in Peru, but I realize this may not be possible, since Peru is neither in a VRS now region nor is it in an RTX fast region. Is it fair to assume that 1cm accuracy is not possible? With Trimble Corrections Hub in a remote area with no internet service, what accuracy can I reasonably assume I can get? 

In 2016, I used an R2 and Centerpoint RTX to take points at 4cm accuracy. Is this not possible with Catalyst?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-Jacob

------------------------------
    Jacob Bongers

• 2.  RE: Catalyst Accuracy in Peru

Posted 05-04-2022 21:54
    Hi Jacob,

You should get accuracy at least as good as your previous experience with the R2 using RTX. As long as you are able to download sign-in and your Catalyst license while online you are then able to use Trimble Catalyst offline for up to 30 days at a time. You can see the Catalyst DA2 Web page on Trimble.com here, I would especially recommend you look at the FAQ.

Best regards,

Mark Kellaway

• 3.  RE: Catalyst Accuracy in Peru

Posted 11-13-2023 15:52

Jacob,

I would assume by now you have figured this out. But here is my advice from using Catalyst in remote places.

If I am going to be working in a remote location without w-fi, but have cell phone service, I can make my cell phone a hot-spot and use

the phone for a web connection.  If this will not work for you then you will not be able to obtain 1cm level with

Catalyst 2.0.  Catalyst service is provided in different subscription precision levels, 60cm, 30cm 15cm - these levels can be 

achieved in a remote location without internet access.

For me If I know that I am traveling to a location that has no internet access, then first before I leave

the spot where I do have internet access, I will get out my equipment turn everything on and log into my Trimble account using

my field data collection tablet with my antenna turned on and bluetooth connected.

They leaving my tablet tuned on and leaving my antenna turned on I will proceed to go to my remote location.

While I am in a remote location because the battery is on all the time, then it is very important to remember to bring 1 or 2

back up batteries to run the antenna or to charge the tablet or cell phone.

Hope this helped.

Vince Cavanaugh