Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Newest version of Field Maps freezing with connection configured to Trimble External Antenna on an iPAD.

• 1.  Newest version of Field Maps freezing with connection configured to Trimble External Antenna on an iPAD.

Posted 04-05-2022 06:56
    We have been having issues with the newest version of Esri Field Maps freezing randomly when the device has a connection configured to an external Trimble antenna such as an R2. This seems to just be happening to a small subset of our users. It will happen even if the user is not using the Trimble antenna but is instead set to use the integrated GPS. Just having a Trimble connection on the device can cause Field Maps to freeze. I should also say this is happening on iPADs. I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this issue?

------------------------------
    Tripp Corbin, GISP
    GIS Implementation Manager
    Davey Resource Group, Inc.

• 2.  RE: Newest version of Field Maps freezing with connection configured to Trimble External Antenna on an iPAD.

Posted 04-05-2022 20:02
    Hi Tripp,

It sounds very strange that you still have the issue when the location provider is set to use the integrated receiver in the iPad, in that scenario there should be no interaction with the Trimble receiver. I assume when you say 'just having a Trimble connection' you mean that the receiver is connected via Bluetooth? Have you also reported this to Esri?

Best regards,

Mark Kellaway

• 3.  RE: Newest version of Field Maps freezing with connection configured to Trimble External Antenna on an iPAD.

Posted 04-06-2022 06:50
    Hello Mark,
    In our case, the issue happens if the Trimble connection is listed as a possible option to select from. I have reached out on other forums including Esri's and found at least a couple of other organizations which are experiencing similar issues but not just with Trimble antennas. This is also happening to some using EOS Arrow units as well. I am now thinking it has something to do with how Field Maps is handling Bluetooth connections. It also seems that some Esri apps are also having issues with iOS version 15.4 and 15.4.1. Field Maps is not currently listed as one of the apps but I would not be surprised if it was not impacted.

Tripp Corbin

• 4.  RE: Newest version of Field Maps freezing with connection configured to Trimble External Antenna on an iPAD.

Posted 04-06-2022 18:40
    Hi Tripp,

Thanks for the additional information. I'm sure that Esri will be following up on this issue if it has been reported to them, and I will be sure to bring it up next time I speak to our contacts there also.

Best regards,

Mark Kellaway