Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

R1 issue… reset possible?

• 1.  R1 issue… reset possible?

Posted 08-31-2021 15:39

My R1 will only turn on intermittently.

If I plug the USB to power, I can push the button.  Sometimes it looks like a normal start routine .  I'll get with the green, blue, amber.  Sometimes  I just get two very bright amber.   I don't see it in Bluetooth on my phone.

I figured let me hook it up to windows 10 firmware.   It detects it and has a number… I continue on..One time it said reading or checking configurations and it said I couldn't update …so I unplugged to try again…that time it said it couldn't check the configuration.

It just sounds like it's corrupted. Is there a reset as I know there are for other Trimble by holding the button down a certain number of seconds or anything like that with this?  I tried holding the button, but didn't get LED flashes even after a minute.

Thanks

------------------------------
    Stuart Weber

• 2.  RE: R1 issue… reset possible?

Posted 09-02-2021 08:01
    Hi Stuart

Holding the power button down for 20 seconds will perform a factory reset so give this a try.
    • As a reference the R1 User and Quick start guides can be found here
    If you're still having problems reach out to your local Trimble reseller with the R1 serial to hand and they will be able to troubleshoot or action a repair/replacement If required

Tom Harrison

• 3.  RE: R1 issue… reset possible?

Posted 09-02-2021 08:15
    Thanks I'll give it a shot… I know there's got to be some sequence. Most of the time I have two brake LEDs are almost whitish. Sometimes I'll have just the single yellow as it's charging. Sometimes I get nothing why it's charging. Sometimes I'll get two green one green to red one red so lots of combinations but I can't get it to smoothly consistent . I saw a guide to talk about a bunch of the other R series, More and more seconds does more and more. I figure it needs to be reformatted so I was trying to get hold it longer than a minute but I'm not laugh at something that's working consistently. I don't think it's fried if it's giving me sequences of LEDs sometimes right?

Stuart Weber

• 4.  RE: R1 issue… reset possible?

Posted 09-02-2021 08:25

The Factory reset (20 second hold) should resolve anything other than HW (in theory) but If the R1 LED's are sequencing differently to ANY of the displayed patterns here then you'll need to give your local Trimble reseller a call and get it looked at by a service tech I'm afraid.

I would also normally suggest reloading the firmware but you've already tried this without success I can see from your first response.

Tom Harrison

• 5.  RE: R1 issue… reset possible?

Posted 04-20-2023 07:36

Tom,

Is there a "Soft Reset" per the R1? aka Hold down the power button for 5 or 10 seconds?

Thanks,

Jay Riester

• 6.  RE: R1 issue… reset possible?

Posted 04-20-2023 13:38

Hi Jay

As I'm sure you know, normal shutdown is by press-and-hold of the power button - initially both LED are Red, release when the GNSS LED turns off after about 3 seconds to turn off.  But if you don't release the power button, after 10-12 seconds the LEDs go from GNSS Off / Power Red through the normal startup cycle (both white / blueish then both green). 

It's not a "Soft Reset" as such, it's the same as turning the R1 off, releasing the button, then turning it on again.

Unfortunately R1 does not have a feature like the ProXRT / ProXRT2 and similar Trimble receivers, where longer presses can be used to clear satellite data and wipe file system etc.  The only practical way to clear satellite data on an R1 is to reload the firmware.

NOTE:  The above description is for R1 operating on battery power, there are differences in LED indications when external power is connected.

Norman Smart

• 7.  RE: R1 issue… reset possible?

Posted 07-27-2022 06:21
    Tom,

Hi, this link per the R1 User/Quick Start Guide seems to be broken - can be found here

https://www.trimble.com/globalTRL.aspx?nav=Collection-109386

Can this be resolved?

Thanks,

Jay Riester

• 8.  RE: R1 issue… reset possible?

Posted 07-27-2022 06:46
    Hi Jay (and all concerned)

Good question here and thank you for raising it
    Failing this, the partners site will have discontinued product materials under the Product A-Z > Discontinued Products section (but this isn't accessible by our customers I know)

Hope this helps

Tom Harrison

• 9.  RE: R1 issue… reset possible?

Posted 07-27-2022 06:53
    Tom,

Thank you for the follow up locations per the R1.

Thanks,

Jay Riester

• 10.  RE: R1 issue… reset possible?

Posted 11-27-2021 09:46
    Same issue here. It worked intermittently when first purchased (used). It would lock up with 2 LEDs glowing & no response from power button. After waiting for the battery to die then recharging, it would work again but the lockups were more frequent, sometimes while charging. 

Must be a hardware issue based on the huge number of units for sale that won't power up.  Never seen a post by someone who fixed it by simply replacing the battery. 

I ordered a new/pre-owned main board, will see if that fixes it.

Mike Williamson

• 11.  RE: R1 issue… reset possible?
    Best Answer

Posted 11-28-2021 16:41
    Hi Mike (and others with similar problems)

I'd suggest trying to reload the firmware - that's the only thing which you can do at a User level which will thoroughly reset the unit.  I'm afraid the long power button press just forces a restart, it doesn't clear satellite information etc.

You can find R1 firmware on the trimble.com web site by Googling "Trimble R1" - the latest is v5.48. Unlike other Trimble GNSS receivers, there are no restrictions on updates, but you'll need a Windows computer to run the installer.

Norman Smart

• 12.  RE: R1 issue… reset possible?

Posted 12-09-2021 06:07
    I tried that and so far it is working perfectly. Thanks!

Some notes for others with the same issue:
    Start with the 5.09 rollback firmware. Updates say to not go further back than that.
    Apply each available update from there to (almost) current 5.47.
    (That may be tedious/superstitious it worked.)
    I chose to not install 5.48 since that is what the R1 was running poorly before and the update didn’t apply to my region.

Noted that after the 5.09 rollback, the R1 stayed responsive without a lockup longer than it had in a year.

After 5.47, it ran for about an hour then locked up with the LEDs glowing white hot. I let the battery die & recharged. After that, it has worked perfectly through about 4 full battery cycles. Fingers crossed but that’s a new record.

• 13.  RE: R1 issue… reset possible?

Posted 12-09-2021 12:50
    Hi Mike

Changes from 5.47 to 5.48 were (should have been?) very limited, and unnecessary for most regions.  If you think 5.47 is more stable than 5.48 and you don't need the upgrade then staying with 5.47 is the way to go.

I have a number of R1 with 5.47 and 5.48, these regularly run continuously for weeks at a time without apparent problems - it's been a while (a number of firmware versions) since I've seen the freeze you describe.  What region are you operating in, and what real-time corrections are you using if any?

Norman Smart

• 14.  RE: R1 issue… reset possible?

Posted 12-09-2021 21:13
    I’m in Georgia, USA. The only reason I stopped at 5.47 was because the R1 was on 5.48 when it started having the “locking up” issue. Figured if anything, I could at least eliminate one possible firmware version.

On 5.48 it struggled to stay running. Was using SBAS only but it would often lock up before getting a fix— or while booting. Maybe my 5.48 firmware was corrupt. Seemed odd, in a good way, that after rolling back to 5.09, it ran without locking up through all the firmware updates.

My hunch is that 5.48 would probably run fine now. I’m just happy my R1 appears to be working now and far better than the $1,200 paperweight it was acting like…so not worth tempting fate.

• 15.  RE: R1 issue… reset possible?

Posted 12-12-2021 12:59
    Hi Mike

The only intentional change from 5.47 to 5.48 was different frequencies and data rates for RTX satellite in Asia Pacific and Latin America regions, so if 5.47 works for you there would be no benefit in changing to 5.48.  Equally, if 5.47 was not working for you, we would not expect any benefit in changing to 5.48 except that loading a new firmware version does wipe the file system so that might fix some corruption issues.

Norman Smart