Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

• 1.  can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 03-04-2020 07:47

can you use trimble business center to do a concrete takeoff on a building foundation for excavation?

im sure you can, but are there tools inside to model footers/walls or to create a library like in REVIT.  i know you can make user defined shapes in the MSI tab to model structures, is there a similar tool that can be used for foundations?

• 2.  Re: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 03-04-2020 07:56

Yes.

• 3.  Re: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 03-04-2020 08:00

that looks like just the footers though? what about the vertical walls leading up to FF?

• 4.  Re: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 03-04-2020 09:50

I'm sure you could figure something out, honest never tried. I usually just do outside of wall to backfill to. TBC does not like VERTICAL though...

• 5.  Re: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 03-04-2020 11:45

right, so without creating tons of breaklines and small offsets as to not throw up flags, i end up doing 3 surfaces and multiple takeoffs/quantity checks.  i was hoping using something like the user defined shape from the utility tab would be perfect.  

• 6.  Re: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 03-05-2020 13:34

Yes.  Same idea as footers..Side Slope....5 minutes playing around.

• 7.  Re: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 03-05-2020 16:00

Hey John,

What are you trying to get at for the concrete take off? Volume, quantities, reports? TBC has typically focused on the earthworks piece. Getting into large vertical structural and foundation elements are better handled in Tekla software: Model-based Quantity Takeoff Software for Concrete | Tekla 

Curious to hear more about what you are trying to achieve.

Cheers,

Riley

• 8.  Re: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 03-11-2020 06:16

the guys above answered the basic question. i was just wondering about a good workflow using TBC to quickly calc volume for doing a takeoff for building foundations. 

• 9.  Re: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 03-11-2020 06:18

i just requested a trial.  never used it before.  can you recommend any learning aids?

• 10.  Re: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 03-11-2020 06:52

Hey John,

Two places to start with:

1) Tutorials for TBC - These are great because they have example data sets and a step-by-step guide for different tasks. Check out the one on '

2) YouTube videos for all kinds of workflows such as takeoffs, volumes, reports.
    Trimble CE&C Help: Business Center - YouTube 

If you can't find a video or tutorial for your specific task, search the Trimble Community page or make a new post.
    Trimble Business Center for Construction 

Cheers,

Riley

• 11.  Re: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 03-11-2020 11:37

John

The Trimble Library is also a good place to go to watch Training Videos of key workflows as well as the Community Forum where you made this post. To access the the Trimble Library go to the Support Menu and look for "Retrieve" - to access the Library you will need to have a Trimble ID - if you dont have one - go to www.connect.trimble.com and sign up and then follow the link to Create a New Trimble ID. There are many free videos on the Library and you can also Subscribe to additional videos through the store on the Library. If you need help with the Library, you can work with @Michael Carris at Trimble (michael_carris@trimble.com) and he can get you going with the Library access etc.

For sure you can model Concrete Structures, however as Eric mentioned earlier, TBC models everything as Surface Models so to create a Vertical Wall, the top and bottom of the wall need to be offset by a small amount e.g. 0.01' so that the surface model can be created.

If you have areas in the model that are just a simple vertical offset to the top surface e.g. a Concrete Pad that is 2' Thick or a Concrete Wall that is 6' Tall, then you can simply apply Site Improvements to the areas where the concrete is applied and then use the Create Subgrade command to build the base or top of the surface model - and from there you can compute the Volumes.

If you need help over the next few days as you start this learning process, please feel free to reach out to me (alan.sharp@rockpilesolutions.com) and I would be happy to point you in the right direction. You can also call me on 720 323 0481 if you need to discuss best approach to something.

I would typically start by using the Sideslope Command for both Footings and Structural Walls, that allows you to create all of the linework and Offsets that you need. There are videos on the Blog for PUG 2.0 that you may find useful on this - check out this link - Click Here and take a look at Video for 3A, 3B or 3C or 4 to get a feel for how Sideslope can be used.

For Simple Subgrade Adjustments - take a look at this video at this link

Click Here

Let me know if you need help

Alan

• 12.  RE: Re: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 02-14-2024 08:42

We are looking in to TBC. I have same Question as John. If TBC can not do a foundation takeoff, then how will it know the amount of backfilling needed after the foundation is in?  Example. If I'm digging a 4 foot deep foundation. Say 5' wide. I get 20 CF/Foot of Dirt removal.  Then I have a typical Foundation. 2x1 footing.  1' wide wallx3 feet High. That's 5CF/ Foot. How would TBC know I have 15CF of Backfilling if no Foundation was taken off? 

Also. We haven't used a 3d Model yet for our machinery. (in process of having a excavator gnss installed).  I would want a footing layout on the model so that my operator would know how wide to dig, no?

------------------------------
    Steve Pereira

• 13.  RE: Re: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 02-14-2024 13:05

The Utility workflow can help with this. Here's a quickie example:

Nelson Hays

• 14.  RE: Re: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 02-15-2024 07:07

Great use case there Nelson. Thanks for sharing

Ed Levandoski

• 15.  RE: Re: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 02-15-2024 09:14

Good morning Nelson is there a way you can share a video or template of how you created this trench template?

Thanks in advance.

Melvin Hercules

• 16.  RE: Re: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 02-15-2024 09:14

Can you please share a template or a video of how you created the template?

Melvin Hercules

• 17.  RE: can you use TBC for a concrete foundation takeoff?

Posted 10 days ago

Hi,
    I haven't used Trimble Business Center for concrete takeoffs myself, but I've had experience with concrete takeoff services and know how essential accurate modeling tools are. If Trimble has features similar to REVIT for footers and walls, it could be very effective. The ability to create user-defined shapes in the MSI tab sounds promising, but it would be great if there were specific tools for foundation work to streamline the process.

Mary Freya