Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

• 1.  Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 06-22-2022 12:36
    I'm using a Catalyst DA1 with a Samsung Galaxy S4 tablet that is running Android 10. I have no problem when connecting with TMM and finding satellites.  When I go to Field Maps it says that it can't locate a GPS signal.  I used a Catalyst DA2 with the tablet and there were no issues.  Then I used the DA1 with an Android phone running Android 12 and there were no issues.  Is there an issue with the DA1 and Android 10?

------------------------------
    Andrew Guardi

• 2.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 06-26-2022 14:47
    Hi Andrew,

The Catalyst DA1 is not supported directly from Field Maps, you should enable TMM as the Mock Location provider in your Android settings and use the Integrated Location Provider in Field Maps. See here for more information on location sharing in Field Maps.

Best regards,

Mark Kellaway

• 3.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 06-27-2022 07:58
    I have all those settings completed on the TMM and in Field Maps.  The RTK is fixed to sub-foot in the TMM.  When I then open Field Maps and open to one of my maps it is not able to locate the GPS and Field Maps freezes up. 

I tried opening Field Maps first and then opening TMM.  Then the location in Field Maps bounced around with no better that 80ft accuracy.

Andrew Guardi

• 4.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps
    Best Answer

Posted 06-27-2022 21:05
    Andrew,

Please confirm that you have Developer options enabled on your S4 and that you have selected Trimble Mobile Manager as the Mock location app, to reiterate these are the steps to follow:

• First you need to open TMM and connect to the DA1.
    • Next go to the 'Application settings' in TMM and ensure that the 'Share location' is setup and enabled. In this step you must select Trimble Mobile Manager as your Mock location provider.
    • Next, with TMM still running and connected to the DA1, go to Esri Field Maps, click on your profile and select 'Provider', then select 'Integrated' (do NOT select DA1 if it is available in the list)
    You should find that you are receiving accurate positions in Field Maps if you follow these steps. One thing to check is that Google Maps is showing an accurate position, this will show that TMM is feeding the location to location services on the device, which is what the 'Integrated' option on Field Maps uses.

Regards,

Mark Kellaway

• 5.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 06-28-2022 08:16
    Mark,

I have completed the steps as you have laid them out and when I open Field Maps it says GPS location not available.  Google Maps showed an accurate position.

As a test I tried using ArcCollector and the accuracy was 11 inches.

Andrew Guardi

• 6.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 06-28-2022 13:02
    Andrew,

I believe you are missing something here. You NEED to have the slider bar on within TMM and running. That is the first step. Assuming that yo have TMM location sharing on already and Mock Locations Enabled within your android developer settings, then you can open ESRI Field maps. Again, like Mark said, you want to select internal versus the DA1. I run this setup all the time for trainings and support purposes. You DO NOT want to open Field Maps first. Also, make sure that TMM and Field Maps are both up-to-date. I believe there was a Field maps update in the last 2 weeks. Lastly, be sure that Google and Google Chrome are both up-to-date via the Play store as well. I have found that when Chrome is not up-to-date, that it can cause login issues.

Zach Edwards

• 7.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 08-30-2022 10:33
    Hi, this was really helpful. I would just like to clarify if the device location should be turned off for this?

Annalie Agad

• 8.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 08-31-2022 07:58
    Yes, Location should be turned ON in the Android settings.

Reid Joy

• 9.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 09-14-2022 09:38
    Hi 
    I am perhaps a bit late in this conversation but, following the discussion above I have a similar case with ESRI Field maps, Trimble Catalyst running on a Trimble TDC 600 , Android 10.
    Field Maps freezes and flashes the message GPS location not available.
    We have followed the thread above but are still not getting this to work.

Archie Stewart

• 10.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 09-15-2022 08:04
    @Archie Stewart

If you're seeing regular crashes I would recommend you contact your local Trimble reseller who can work check your setup and most importantly that you are on the latest versions of software/GNSS firmware etc. These issues are usually something simple that your resellers support teams can spot and resolve

Beyond that you can use Trimble Mobile Manager to send the log files directly from the device you are experiencing crashes on.
    • This goes through to the support and product team who can help.
    • Please add a description when submitting the logs to speed the process up and someone will usually contact you directly

Tom Harrison

• 11.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 10-27-2023 14:51

Had this same issue. It is caused by Fieldmaps only supporting Android 10.6.1 and later. We swapped in a handset on Android 13 and it solved the problem.

Matthew Hobson

• 12.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 10-27-2023 14:51

We had this same issue with a DA1. It was caused by Fieldmaps only supporting Android 10.6.1 and later. We swapped in a newer handset running Android 13 and this fixed the issue.

Matthew Hobson

• 13.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 10-27-2023 15:27
    Edited by Zach Edwards 10-27-2023 15:30

Matthew, field Maps is actually supported on android 8 and above. I'm wondering what was causing the issue though.I am guessing the android device that you were using is just not quite enough horsepower to run the Catalyst Service for the DA1.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.esri.fieldmaps&hl=en&gl=US

Zach Edwards

• 14.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 12-02-2023 15:12

Using a DA2, I'm running into what sounds like a similar issue on a Samsung Note 9 (Android 10) . TMM is able to connect to and utilize my DA2 receiver just fine. It is able to achieve the Catalyst subscription level of accuracy (1-cm). When I try to use the DA2 in Field Maps, things go bad.

When I jump over to Field Maps (after toggling OFF the TMM's "Connect to position source"), I am unable to add the DA2 receiver as a location provider because the DA2 is not listed as an available location provider. All of my other bluetooth devices are listed as available location providers, but not the DA2. I've unpaired and paired the DA2 numerous times, but that doesn't seem to help. Meanwhile, when I look at my genaral bluetooth device list, the DA2 is listed. 

As an attempted workaround, I tried the mock location route.

• I closed Field Maps
    • I closed TMM
    • Opened Developer Settings for mock location and set it to TMM
    • Opened TMM and connected to the DA2 as the position source
    • Enabled TMM's Location Sharing under Application Settings
    • Opened Field Maps and confirmed the location provieder is "Integrated"
    • Open a map in Field Maps

At this point, my map loads, but the map glitches while flashing "GPS location not available" repeatedly. If I disconnect the DA2 in TMM, the Field Maps map will load and show my location with the  integrated GPS accuracy around 2.8 meters (native cell phone GPS).

Both TMM and Field Maps are fresh installs as of today.

I have performed the same steps on a Galaxy Tab S7 FE 5G (Android 13) using the same DA2 and both of my scenarios described above work fine. Field Maps is able to accept the DA2 as a location provider with good accuracy, and I am able to perform the mock location approach with good results. ESRI claims Field Maps supports Androids with Android 8.0 (Oreo) or later (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/get-started/requirements.htm)

Any recommendations would be apprecatiated.

Micah Holzbauer

• 15.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 12-02-2023 15:12
    Edited by Micah Holzbauer 12-04-2023 05:43

retracted duplicate post

• 16.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 12-03-2023 15:58

Hi Micah,

It's strange that Field Maps doesn't see the DA2, and this feels like the issue we need to focus on. Can you confirm which Firmware version your DA2 has installed? You can see this by looking at the Status view in TMM while connected to the receiver.

Thanks,

Mark.

Mark Kellaway

• 17.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 12-04-2023 06:01

Thanks for the quick response, Mark. I agree that it seems quite strange that the DA2 doesn't appear as an available position source. 

My DA2 firmware version is 1.58. FYI, I found the firmware version listed under the "Position Source" window instead of "Status" in TMM.

Micah Holzbauer

• 18.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 12-04-2023 14:23

Thanks Micah.

That's one theory out of the window! :-). We've just tried it here on the same device and it's working fine. Just confirming again, if you add a location provider (as opposed to the list of known providers) in Field Maps you can't see the paired DA2? I know it's a pain, but it might be worth removing Field Maps completely and reinstalling it on that device if you haven't tried that already.

Regards,

Mark.

Mark Kellaway

• 19.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 12-08-2023 10:25

Hi Mark,

I uninstalled and re-installed Field Maps. I also unpaired the DA2 from my bluetooth, reset the DA2 bluetooth connections (held down power button for ~5 seconds). The DA2 is still not listed as an available provider in Field Maps. 

Micah Holzbauer

• 20.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 12-10-2023 17:17

Hi Micah,

Well this is really strange, to my knowledge at the point Field Maps adds a provider it's simply looking for a supported receiver in the BT list. Have you raised a ticket with Esri on this? If not that might be a worthwhile step. If you look at the name of the receiver in the BT settings is it this format: 'DA2, 0123456789: Trimble'?

Regards,

Mark Kellaway

• 21.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 12-11-2023 08:23

Hi Micah,

The Trimble folks ought to chime in here, but as I understand it, TMM writes a config file that Field Maps ought to pick up for seeing the DA2 and its parameters. That config file may be corrupted or have issues?

Eric Collins, P.L.(Eng.), P.Tech.(Eng.)
    Operations Technology, Chief Operations Engineering
    Calgary, AB, Canada

• 22.  RE: Catalyst DA1 and Android 10 issues with Field Maps

Posted 12-11-2023 13:19

Hi Eric,

That's a good thought, however that file is only read AFTER a Trimble receiver has been selected in Field Maps. The config file is read to obtain correction and coordinate system info.

Thanks,

Mark.

Mark Kellaway