Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Connection Issues Trimble Mobile Manager and Field Maps

• 1.  Connection Issues Trimble Mobile Manager and Field Maps

Posted 05-17-2023 09:13

Hi:

I have done a decent amount of reading on configuration of TMM and Esri Field Maps.  This office uses a Trimble R2 GPS and an Ipad 10 for data collection.  The firmware version on the R2 has been updated to v 5.60.  I have configured TMM with the login info provided by ODOT VRS Team.  I have also configured the account section of ESRI Field Maps.  I need clarification on connection issues with TMM.  I noticed that TMM will connect for about 5-10 seconds and disconnect with this error message about about account login credentials.  Check username and password.   I have confirmed with ODOT my login info is correct.  I open my field maps map and get the gps connected to the map I am using for data collection.  Most of the time is will stay connected but has issues some days.
    1.  Is the TMM app suppose to connect and stay connected?  
    2.  Is TMM app for testing connection purposes only?
    3.  If the GPS gets disconnected from field maps, what is the proper reconnection process?
    4.  What is the GNSS Status app used for?

Thank you,

Robert

------------------------------
    Robert Snyder
    GIS Analyst
    Wood County Engineer's Office
    Bowling Green, OH
    419-3734916

• 2.  RE: Connection Issues Trimble Mobile Manager and Field Maps

Posted 05-18-2023 14:55

Hi Robert,

One thing I notice is all of the asterisks shown at the end of the Trimble unit name.  Those will need to be removed, your Trimble supplier will be able to help you with that.  We had somewhat similar issues to what you are experiencing until we removed those in the name.

We also use an R2 unit for high accuracy data collection.  Use TMM the first time you are connecting to a unit to ensure all things are working and see the accuracy you are expecting.  Once that is done, close out TMM app > open field maps > connect to your R2 unit (TMM will flash across the screen - so this tells you that field maps is communicating with TMM to access the correction source information, as a result this will open the TMM app).  In field maps map you will then just need to wait until the accuracy is at what you expect it to be.

If you use the same R2 unit every time you will not have to open the TMM app directly unless you are experiencing issues and testing connections.

If the GPS disconnects in Field Maps, close out the Field Maps app and TMM app then open Field Maps again.  If that does not work, close out Field Maps and check connections in TMM, and if still not working disconnect everything and start over.

I believe you can still use the GNSS Status app to check connections, however, it will not communicate with Field Maps.  GNSS Status worked with ArcGIS Collector before Field Maps replaced it.

This is probably a longer response than you needed but hope it is of some help.

Denise

Denise Tingstad

• 3.  RE: Connection Issues Trimble Mobile Manager and Field Maps

Posted 05-18-2023 15:54

Hi Robert,

Denise has given some great advice which should get you going. I'll try to add to that by answering your points in turn:
    1.  Is the TMM app suppose to connect and stay connected?  
    No, the TMM app is needed to set up the correction and coordinate settings, and, if using a Catalyst subscription (which you are not), to process user sign-in. Field Maps reads those settings when setting up its own connection to the Trimble receiver.
    2.  Is TMM app for testing connection purposes only?
    No, see answer to (1) above.
    3.  If the GPS gets disconnected from field maps, what is the proper reconnection process?
    You should be able to reconnect in Field Maps, after checking that Bluetooth connectivity is restored. If you lose connection to the R2 because of range, battery etc then the R2 should reconnect to the iPad automatically when back in range/powered on.
    4.  What is the GNSS Status app used for?
    GNSS Status is an older application that was used to provide some of the functionality now provided by TMM, you do not need to use it.

Additionally please note that as you are not using a Catalyst based receiver like the DA2 you do not need to sign in to TMM.

Best regards,

Mark Kellaway