Trimble Penmap

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

DA2 - adding a photograph as I record a datum

• 1.  DA2 - adding a photograph as I record a datum

Posted 05-30-2022 19:26

Hi there

I've recently purchased a DA2 and in enjoying using it. But I'm having a few learning curve issues I'd like some help with

When I'm recording a datum point in the field I sometimes want to add a photograph with it. How do I do that?

1. I'm using a Samsung so am on the android system

Regards

Tom Gardiner

FULCRUM Ltd

824 Old North Road

Waimauku 0882

Auckland

E: thomas@fulcrumltd.com

M: +64 275–90–20–90

P:+64 9–411–9004

F: +64 9–411–9024

• 2.  RE: DA2 - adding a photograph as I record a datum

Posted 05-31-2022 01:12

Dear Tom Gardiner,

nice to hear you enjoy working with our Catalyst DA2!
    You mention recording a "datum point" can you explain what you mean by that exactly?
    You can collect an iFeature which has a photo as attribute and a datum.
    You can define this in Penmap Project Manager.

An iFeature is a node/point with attributes. (In this case the attribute would be the picture)
    https://community.trimble.com/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=a881c98e-2149-879c-a86e-0cfff1a46457&forceDialog=1

Kind regards
    Penmap support

------------------------------
    Patrik Stahlhut

• 3.  RE: DA2 - adding a photograph as I record a datum

Posted 05-31-2022 01:56
    Hi there Patrik

Thank you for your reply. Apologise for my chosen words. Yes I meant when I in the field and recording Heights and locations
    I  want to add a photo on key occasions 

The person that initially introduced me to the DA2 was using an iPhone, which uses different software. So I don't know how to do it myself now.

So from what you've said I need to use a particular feature in order to add a photo...?

Can you explain that further please

• 4.  RE: DA2 - adding a photograph as I record a datum

Posted 05-31-2022 02:33

Hi Tom,

when creating a project use the template "survey exmple" to have a "Foto" iFeature. 

In the project, select an iFeature on the top right.
    Choose Foto
    You can now either measure a node/point to associate it with the selected iFeature directly via the GNSS button, or use the Snap node function to associate it with an existing node/point.
    After you associated the node/point with the mentioned iFeature you will be able to take a picture via the camera button.

Kind regards
    Penmap support

Patrik Stahlhut

• 5.  RE: DA2 - adding a photograph as I record a datum

Posted 05-31-2022 20:10

Hi there

I followed through what you've said and that makes sense

but it seems limited to when I can take photographs. Is this correct

For instance I'm wanting to mark out the edge of a river or a fence line...

So in my iFeature selection, under Topo I would choose either fence or shore. Most of the time I just need to collect the node.

Occasionally, when there is a significant feature around that I might want to remember, I want to add a photograph to that node. How do I do it then?

I've just tried this now - and it was slow and cumbersome.

PS

how from Penmap manager on my phone do I cause to upload the latest recordings. Sorry I've forgotten , it's been a stressful week

Another issue I'm having - when I export my result files from Trimble connect.

I can open the DWG or dxf (using a program called eDrawings – part of solidworks and Desalt Systems and I see the line drawings well. I can see different colours are used for different types of features. That's great

I can see the numerical number of the node that I have zoomed in on – like the one below – number 143 at a height of 16.9

but the 16.9 is only accurate to one decimal point. Can you recommend a program or a technique where I can see the decimal point to a much greater value – as per DA2 recorded?

With the spreadsheets that are exported, sometimes I notice that the recording number (e.g. 143) is present in other times it's not

How do I insure this to happen all the time and with the photographs to be associated with this too

Can you please help me figure this out as I need to do my first proper survey this Saturday

Regards

Tom Gardiner

FULCRUM Ltd

824 Old North Road

Waimauku 0882

Auckland

• 6.  RE: DA2 - adding a photograph as I record a datum

Posted 05-31-2022 23:40
    Hi Tom,

I could recommend our Youtube-Channel and especially the iFeature and Snap videos.
    YouTube-Link
    Penmap is very flexible in the data collection of features... the iFeature coding enables you:
    • to switch between active features - collect features in parallel
    • to collect points, lines, polygons - with GIS attributes
    • to set up your own feature-coding etc.
    • to collect pictures, signatures etc.

• You mentioned to collect a fence - Measure the node, Penmap draw automatically the line. It's no additional work.
    • Add a picture, change iFeature and snap node in the map to your fence node. You can work with multiple iFeatures in parallel.
    • With snap and the iFeature system you are very flexible, fast and you directly collect features in your map
    • That reduces digitizing work in the office, node redundancies, wrong geometries etc.
    • But for sure - You can also collect just nodes. It always depends to the customer requirements
    Not sure if you have already explored our HELP Portal here you could explore settings and options for your data collection in detail.
    But probably a training with your local distribution partner could also be helpful.

Markus

Markus Koper

• 7.  RE: DA2 - adding a photograph as I record a datum

Posted 06-06-2022 22:55

Hi Patrik

I replied to this email of yours a few days ago but I hadn't heard back from you yet

I still don't know how to merge the two capabilities - photographs and fence line

if I use the iFeature, topo, fence - then I can proceed to collect node/points and a line is automatically drawn (as you described) but from time to time, on one of those node/points I want to add a photograph that I can refer to later to draw my attention to some particular thing

I cannot see, following what you have instructed how I can do that – on-the-fly. Only by going back into iFeature ....

As I said, when I was introduced to this by the gentleman using an iPhone he was able to do both at once. Why can't I?

Your help ASAP would be greatly appreciated - had to cancel my first survey that I had booked into because I did not know how to achieve this

Regards

Tom Gardiner

FULCRUM Ltd

824 Old North Road

Waimauku 0882

Auckland

• 8.  RE: DA2 - adding a photograph as I record a datum

Posted 06-07-2022 01:27

Dear Tom,

just like my collegue, I would suggest a training with your local distribution partner for more detaill.

To "merge" fence and photographs you would have to edit the template, the iFeature "fence" to be more exact, and add the attribute of a photograph to it.
    (This would allow you to take one photo associated per iFeature)
    The other option would be to work with multible active iFeatures at the same time, so you could collect the fence as you go and whenever you feel the need to take a photo, you activate the second iFeature for the point to collect a photo there as well.

As mentioned I would suggest a training with your local distribution partner for a more detailled workflow.

Of course you can also find information in our "Help" on How to modify an iFeature template.

Kind regards
    Penmap support

Patrik Stahlhut

• 9.  RE: DA2 - adding a photograph as I record a datum

Posted 06-07-2022 03:23

Hi There

Thank you for your prompt reply

In one of your previous emails you attempted to demonstrate to me the idea of editing the template. That sounds like best way to go

I tried to figure out from the email you sent me how to do that - but I was not able to

are you able to share any more clues with me? - Perhaps the exact link on the help files

I will ask my local distributor to help me tomorrow

Regards

Tom Gardiner

FULCRUM Ltd

824 Old North Road

Waimauku 0882

Auckland

• 10.  RE: DA2 - adding a photograph as I record a datum

Posted 06-07-2022 03:39

Dear Tom,

the following link includes the description on how to edit a template:
    https://community.trimble.com/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=a881c98e-2149-879c-a86e-0cfff1a46457&forceDialog=1

the following link guides you to the Penmap android help:
    https://help.trimblegeospatial.com/PenmapForAndroid/en/Content/SystemOverview.htm

the following link guides you to the Penmap Project Manager help:
    https://help.trimblegeospatial.com/PenmapForAndroid/en/Content/PPM_Intro.htm

Kind regards
    Penmap support

Patrik Stahlhut