Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

DA2 and iPhone 13 Pro Max

• 1.  DA2 and iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted 03-30-2023 03:54
      |   view attached

I've been using the DA2 with Catalyst 30 on iPhone13 pro max for about 1.5 years now. Recently last 2 months we started noticing that randomly the location would shift off by 3 or 6 feet And all subsequent data collected at that time is shifted 3 or 6 feet. All settings are the same and other devices at the same time are still collecting accurately. In the attached screenshot you can see the 3 foot shift. All subsequent data collected by this user is shifted. No settingshave been changed. 

------------------------------
    Carson Garver

• 2.  RE: DA2 and iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted 03-30-2023 15:19

Hi Carson,

I see your GPS accuracy is 24ft, which is also concerning. Could you tell us how your Profile is set up, and also confirm what accuracy you get if you connect to the DA2 in Trimble Mobile Manager rather than Field Maps?

Regards,

Mark Kellaway

• 3.  RE: DA2 and iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted 03-31-2023 04:31

Hi Mark,

The GPS accuracy is at 24ft in the photo I provided as it was only to show the difference in spatial location between the features. The device the screenshot was captured on does not currently have a sub activated on it.  Otherwise, we are using catalyst 30 and our accuracy is consistently at 11.9 inches in both TMM and or Field Maps (when conditions are ideal). That is the problem though, two people standing at the same location capturing the same feature and there being a three to six-foot difference between where they are collecting. I could understand a one-foot difference. All setting between the devices in the field are the same. Catalyst 30, correction source set to Auto (Trimble Correction Hub), GNSS Output set to Auto which should be NAD83 2011, our Geoid is EGM 96 as that is what our client wants.

-Carson

-Carson

Carson Garver

• 4.  RE: DA2 and iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted 04-04-2023 00:05

Hi Carson,

Apologies for the delay in responding. A 3ft error would seem to point to a coordinate system issue, could you provide us with the Field Maps Profile details for the device with the issue (is it always the same device?)? A screen shot of the profile details would suffice.

Thanks,

Mark.

Mark Kellaway

• 5.  RE: DA2 and iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted 04-04-2023 05:23
    Edited by Carson Garver 04-04-2023 05:59
      |   view attached

The profile has to be set up the same as the default profile from Field Maps will not allow the map to open. It is not always the same device. It occurs randomly. One day a user was collecting fine. The next day, he noticed collection was off despite accuracy in field maps saying 11.9 inches. We had to reset the antenna blue tooth connections in both iPhone Settings and Provider Settings in Field Maps, and this resolved the issue, but it's not always caught right away.

*can't figure out how to add/remove attachments from a post. added the GNSS config.

Carson Garver

• 6.  RE: DA2 and iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted 04-05-2023 12:10

Hi @Carson Garver@Mark Kellaway and I have been discussing this case. I had a few follow-up questions that I wanted to ask and would also suggest that we get this submitted as a proper support case through your Trimble distributor. That helps us in the prioritization and tracking.
    - Can you narrow down the time when you first noticed this? I'd like to see if it correlates to an update to either Field Maps or TMM.
    - In your screenshot of the Field Maps location profile, the settings indicate the web map is in NAD 1983 UTM Zone 10N. Did you setup your own basemaps or map packages to accomplish that? That particular transformation path (the composite from NAD 83 (2011) to NAD 83 (original) by way of WGS84) will yield a very small difference (few cm) for most of the continental US.
    - Can you correlate the incorrect positions to the fix type of the GNSS at the time? I believe that Field Maps will only apply the transformation selected in the location profile when it sees a fix type of 'RTK Fixed' or 'RTK Float' regardless of accuracy. Given what I said in the bullet above, I'm not sure that would make much of a difference  but I've been wrong before.
    - At this point, I'm not sure if the source of the missing (or double) datum transformation is within our components or the Esri components. For that reason, I think it would be good to get an Esri support case spun up for this as well. Once that's done, we can connect with them on the backend.
    - Can you confirm in what region you are working? I'd like to see if you are getting VRSNow corrections or RTX....the internal datum handling for each is different.
    - It might be worth a test in TMM to select 'NAD83(2011) (EPOCH:2010)' as the GNSS output frame instead of Auto. It should give you the same thing but just trying to rule out variables.

Thanks.

Matthew Morris

• 7.  RE: DA2 and iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted 04-05-2023 12:41
    Edited by Carson Garver 04-05-2023 12:52

I will send a message to our distributor. I will include a link to this page with the recommendation of starting a support ticket.

- Can you narrow down the time when you first noticed this? I'd like to see if it correlates to an update to either Field Maps or TMM.
    The closest time frame I can provide is sometime between January 30th - February 6th is when it started occurring. We had been working in Texas in December/January without issue. Work moved to California the 2nd week of February and I noticed it that week.  Both the work in Texas and California were/are using the same settings with only the map coordinate system being different for Texas.

- In your screenshot of the Field Maps location profile, the settings indicate the web map is in NAD 1983 UTM Zone 10N. Did you setup your own basemaps or map packages to accomplish that? That particular transformation path (the composite from NAD 83 (2011) to NAD 83 (original) by way of WGS84) will yield a very small difference (few cm) for most of the continental US.
    Yes, I have set up basemaps using imagery we were provided. 

- Can you correlate the incorrect positions to the fix type of the GNSS at the time? I believe that Field Maps will only apply the transformation selected in the location profile when it sees a fix type of 'RTK Fixed' or 'RTK Float' regardless of accuracy. Given what I said in the bullet above, I'm not sure that would make much of a difference  but I've been wrong before.
    Unfortunately, no I cannot. If someone in the field notices this, I will have them contact me to see what fix type is showing.

- At this point, I'm not sure if the source of the missing (or double) datum transformation is within our components or the Esri components. For that reason, I think it would be good to get an Esri support case spun up for this as well. Once that's done, we can connect with them on the backend.
    I believe this is an ESRI component. I had seen an ESRI community post about it a while ago but have not been able to locate it.

- Can you confirm in what region you are working? I'd like to see if you are getting VRSNow corrections or RTX....the internal datum handling for each is different.
    We work in offline mode due to unreliability of cell service in some locations we work so we are not utilizing VRSNow at this time.

- It might be worth a test in TMM to select 'NAD83(2011) (EPOCH:2010)' as the GNSS output frame instead of Auto. It should give you the same thing but just trying to rule out variables.
    I'll have my field crews change this settings.

To correct these shift issues, we basically have to remove the antenna from field maps and add it back in. The following steps are what we take to try and fix these issues once they are noticed.

1. Go to Profile Settings by clicking the icon at the top right when in the Map Menu of Field Maps.
    2. Under the location options select Provider.
    3. Switch the provider to the Integrated Antenna.
    4. Click the information button next to the DA2 antenna.
    5. In the next screen Remove Location Provider.
    6. Then click Add to add the antenna back as a location provider, make sure to set antenna height to 2 meters.
    7. This may require you to close field maps and reopen it.
    8. Check spatial location to a known feature.

If the above steps do not result in a fix, try the following. 

1. Remove the device from Field Maps again.
    2. Go to Blue Tooth Settings and Forget the Device.
    3. Disconnect the antenna from the Battery.
    4. Connect Battery back to antenna.
    5. Make sure Trimble Mobile Manager is connecting correctly. Accuracy should be less than 1 Foot.
    6. Close Trimble Mobile Manager.
    7. Open Field Maps.
    8. Add the antenna as a provider.
    9. Once you connect field maps to the antenna it should open TMM in the background and Field maps should display an accuracy of less than 1 Foot (11.9 inches).
    10. Check spatial location to a known feature.

Additionally, I had been getting ready to submit the following bug back around February 15th but this issue seemed to have been fixed. I am not sure if it is related or not.

Field Maps losing connection to Receivers.

Field Maps is randomly losing connection to Trimble DA2 receivers between days in the field. We have had several instances where one day GPS location is available. The next day the GPS location is unavailable. After trouble shooting, we figured out Field Maps was losing connection to the receiver despite Field Maps claiming it was connected to the receiver in the Provider settings. Field Maps still said GPS location unavailable even though they were connected.

We confirmed this because when we open Trimble Mobile Manager by itself and connect to the Position Source the blue Tooth connection is still established.

We know TMM is opened automatically when Field Maps is opened, however when Field Maps loses connection to the receiver, it is not opening TMM. We figured out that you had to switch to the integrated provider, Remove the connected receiver from the Provider settings and add it back in. This causes you to reestablish connection to the TMM folder on the device.

Carson Garver

• 8.  RE: DA2 and iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted 04-12-2023 09:21

@Matthew Morris 
    After some further digging, we determined the user who was having the issue was not using the correct location profile in Field Maps. They were using the Default Profile because they switched to a different login and did not set up the correct profile. This may have caused the current issue, but I am pretty sure when we had it occur at other sites, the location profile had been set correctly. Unfortunately, until the issue occurs again, and I can confirm the user is utilizing the correct settings, the issue seems to be on pause. 

Carson Garver

• 9.  RE: DA2 and iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted 04-12-2023 14:13

Hi Carson,

Good news that you may have figured out the issue, hopefully you won't see it again but if you do don't hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,

Mark Kellaway