Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Downloading GEO 7X files with Trimble Data Transfer and Windows 10

• 1.  Downloading GEO 7X files with Trimble Data Transfer and Windows 10

Posted 05-26-2022 11:14
    Hi, 

When I plug the USB cable from GEO 7X GPS to my new Windows 10 computer, looks like the computer wont install the drivers or else. 

In Trimble data transfer, its shows as not "connected" .  No "letter" or "disk" or SD card showing in "my computer" root.

Working in Québec gov and our computer are locked (im not admin).   Even our IT dont seems to find the problem.  

Anyone as tips or procedure for Windows 10 to recognize the GPS ?  I would be glad to help IT. 

Works well with Windows 7 tough.

Thanks

------------------------------
    Daniel Plante

• 2.  RE: Downloading GEO 7X files with Trimble Data Transfer and Windows 10
    Best Answer

Posted 05-27-2022 02:47
    Hi Daniel

Here are a few support notes with some things to try in chronological order:
    If you can't get WMDC working using the tips above then we have the USB Switcher app for the Geo7x that enables data transfer without WMDC. In my opinion this is a better workflow than WMDC anyway

The context for these issues comes from Microsoft ceasing support for both WMDC and the WEHH OS. I've bulleted some links on this below for further reading

Tom Harrison

• 3.  RE: Downloading GEO 7X files with Trimble Data Transfer and Windows 10

Posted 05-27-2022 14:13
    Edited by Norman Smart 05-29-2022 16:09
    Hi Daniel

EDIT 30May2022:
    The sequence I describe originally doesn't appear to work anymore, Microsoft doesn't supply the GeoExplorer drivers.  I had a look at the Trimble Support Notes which Tom has links to in his reply, the November 2013 Support Note doesn't contain anything useful but the instructions in the August 2020 Support Note still work.  I tried on a TSC7 with Win10 v21H2 and a Dell laptop with Windows 11 v21H2.

NOTE:  The instructions in the Aug 2020 WINDOWS MOBILE DEVICE CENTER CONNECTION ISSUES Support Note require Admin access.

• I downloaded and ran the 64-bit drvupdate-amd64.exe installer as an Admin (I was a bit confused by the "AMD" in the name - both computers have Intel i5 or i7 processors, but the x86 updater doesn't work).  The TSC7 wanted to install the .NET Framework 3.5 update so I allowed this.
    • I downloaded and ran the PC application tool to update the registry
    • I restarted both devices then connected a Geo 7x to each computer.
    • I ran Windows Mobile Device Center on both computers
    • WMDC on the Windows 11 laptop connected to the Geo 7x, I could browse files
    • WMDC on the TSC7 would not connect to the Geo 7x
      • On the Geo 7x connected to TSC7, I opened Settings / Connections / USB to PC and turned off "Enable Advanced network functionality"
      • I restarted the TSC7 OS and ran WMDC again, and it connected to the Geo 7x, I could browse files
    • I remember some random behaviour in the past with "Enable Advanced network functionality" - try both settings, one of them usually works!

End of EDIT

In my experience (I used Geo 7x extensively in the past, still use it occasionally), the keys to getting Windows 10 to talk to Geo 7x are patience and an internet connection.  If you power up a Geo 7x (or Juno 3 or other Windows embedded device) and connect it to the computer via USB, then just leave it, Windows slowly downloads and installs whatever it needs including WMDC.  I recommend leaving the WEHH device and the computer connected overnight, alternatively you can connect them then just just carry on using Windows as normal and leave Windows and the Geo 7x to sort themselves out.

Once the installs are complete, you may need to run Windows Mobile Device Center manually instead of having it automatically pop open when you connect a Geo which it used to do.

I do have Admin rights on the computer but I don't think this is essential.  And I don't think I've done this for 6 months, I'll try to connect a Geo 7x to a computer with a fresh Windows 10 install on Monday, see whether leaving it all to Windows still works.

Norman Smart