Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Feature Request - Unconnected Subnets in a Project(multiple base stations and no ties between)

• 1.  Feature Request - Unconnected Subnets in a Project(multiple base stations and no ties between)

Posted 09-24-2022 07:50
    i would like to request that tbc be able to handle multiple adjustments in one project. i will outline bellow a couple types of projects where this would be valuable. each adjustment could be named similar to creating a surface and maybe even placed on a layer to be turned on and off and to be able to manipulate each individually and also fix one or be able to add data to it. secondary to this, having each data collector file on a layer and being able to turn each one on and off would be invaluable. these could be groups of their own in the project manager so that their points and ties can still be turned on and off as normal. or some sort of branch grouping. 

usually this applies to large projects where there can be lots of data. 

large sites where there is physical obstructions preventing ties. maybe a large river with a base station on each side but the project is on both sides. or very long corridors with limited helicopter access. we have had both of these occur. if you process a data set without ties in common from two base station setups then tbc returns an error. "can not compute multiple subnets in project". or something like this. 

large construction projects. what i have in mind here is a electrical tower installation project with many days worth of data. in this case, there is overlapping data where we topo each tower location, rough layout, set control, resect and check tower foundation, retopo construction…..
    in this case mostly we can make a new tbc project for each days work and it is relatively easy to keep organized. but when it comes to the resection work doing multiple towers from one data collector file things become way more tricky. i don t want all the data from topo work from previous days so would typically import a control point csv. but then each resection becomes its own subnet and needs its own tbc file. if there is rtk topo data on top of this from the same data collector file then all that needs to be wiped out or blended with each resection. 

another type project where this is a real pain is on projects with multiple base stations and crews return to the site doing total station work off of control from both base stations. here the datasets needs to be imported to both projects and total station work erased from each that is not relevant to the subnet. keeping track of all the data becomes way more work than it should be. 

i realize that merging projects and referencing projects might be a way around this, but i am not sure this gives full control of adjustments between projects and is only on the higher level tbc keys(last time i looked). maybe others have better approaches to these problems????? 
    thanks

------------------------------
    ian bissonnette

• 2.  RE: Feature Request - Unconnected Subnets in a Project(multiple base stations and no ties between)

Posted 09-26-2022 08:20
    Most likely the reason for this is in TBC there can only be one network for adjustment. Maybe one day they will implement multiple networks, just like you can probably have multiple traverse adjustments (though the network adjustment is better than traverse).

Robert Hoy

• 3.  RE: Feature Request - Unconnected Subnets in a Project(multiple base stations and no ties between)

Posted 09-27-2022 07:49
    This has been high on a lot of people's wish list for a while. I experimented once years ago, when the key-in feature was added, with keying in a bearing/distance value and giving it a really low weight (high error) to connect the subnets. I didn't test it out to see what impact it might have on the adjustment but I think it would work.

To do this, inverse between 2 of your base points (1 from each subnet) or points that you are going to use as constraints in the survey. Note the bearing, distance and direction (point order). In Adjust network, below the fixed coordinate section find 'Add Azimuth Constraint'. That pull-down will allow you to enter either an azimuth or horizontal distance. Enter the direction or distance as appropriate. Un-check the 'Fixed' box and hit it the '+' to expand it. Enter a crazy high 1 sigma error estimate. If recollection serves me well (it often doesn't) this should connect the subnets but I know I haven't tested how it impacts the work. I also don't know what impact it will have on your network adjustment statistics. I transitioned to a different role and now don't process field work (unless there is a problem to solve).

For the last 10 years nearly all of my work was using an RTN and it is easy to download static files to create a PPV to connect the subnets. In the future, if you are using local base RTK, switch to a PPK style and you will have static files that you can connect to a common CGPS/CORS site to connect the subnets.

Dave Olander

• 4.  RE: Feature Request - Unconnected Subnets in a Project(multiple base stations and no ties between)

Posted 09-28-2022 06:58
    thanks dave. my boss is a real smart lady and she was attempting the same path as you describe, creating a false “azimuth” between base locations. not sure if she got it working. i guess an easier solution in my mind is if you could create a 3d polyline between bases and tell tbc that this is an “observation” with quality based on the values of what ever service is used to get a position of the base.

we are in northern british columbia. and to my knowledge there is no network service that is in a reasonable distance that would give us a tie to that service. i m talking 400 plus km to the nearest city. but i have also no dug into this too much to see if it is an option.

thanks for the input.

• 5.  RE: Feature Request - Unconnected Subnets in a Project(multiple base stations and no ties between)

Posted 10-26-2022 13:48

I cooked up a work-around for some of the situations you bring up. Ideally, you will have an actual measurement between the various subnets. It can be easy to do with RTK or if you have a CGPS/CORS site in the area. Please take a look at the video linked below and use at your own risk!!! I can't stress enough how much I think this can only be applied between points that are fully constrained in the network (none of the resection occupations you describe).

https://youtu.be/-JdQuTUxVtc

Dave Olander

• 6.  RE: Feature Request - Unconnected Subnets in a Project(multiple base stations and no ties between)

Posted 10-27-2022 12:17
    Good morning Dave,
    I just watched your uploaded video and applaud your efforts my friend.   Good stuff and great job

Jarrod Black

• 7.  RE: Feature Request - Unconnected Subnets in a Project(multiple base stations and no ties between)

Posted 10-28-2022 16:36
    dave thanks for the video. yes, this is a work flow we were considering. if i have spare time this winter i can try to play around with it, with previous data sets we have, and run a comparison. still, it seems like tbc is powerful enough and could have the option to run multiple network adjustments. being able to adjust something and then lock that data set and then make a second adjustment could be a great tool and would solve the resect example i had given. also being able to turn on and off different data sets(as in layering) would also be incredible. 

Ian Bissonnette

HBH Land Surveying

3750 1st Avenue
    PO Box 536
    Smithers, BC
    V0J 2N0

• 8.  RE: Feature Request - Unconnected Subnets in a Project(multiple base stations and no ties between)

Posted 27 days ago

I also am frustrated when I see the message "There are unconnected sub-nets in the network." My work-around has been to create multiple copies of the TBC project and leaving a single network and deleting anything disconnected in each. 
    The fix I imagine would be to allow the user to select the objects and observations in one network and run an adjustment on only that data. Then do the same for another group of data, all in one project.
    Regarding your request for a layer for each DC file, if you go in the View Filter Manager, 2nd pull-down, you can choose which DC files are visible. I think this is as good as layer control would be, and allows for visibility control of the same types of objects depending on which file it came from. (which is how I use point groups in C3D)

Mike Spelts

• 9.  RE: Feature Request - Unconnected Subnets in a Project(multiple base stations and no ties between)

Posted 27 days ago

thanks mike, i never noticed that pull down for different data files. ya that works, would be a little easier if it was with all the other data lists, but i guess it has more power where it is with the other features in that pull down. thanks for the tip.
    having that pull down stay open would be nice to, or more likely having it show a list of what is viewing would be better than just the 'multiple'. but still works.