Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Geo7x Handheld Won't Power On Until I Remove and Reinstall The Battery

• 1.  Geo7x Handheld Won't Power On Until I Remove and Reinstall The Battery

Posted 03-21-2024 11:37

I have a 7x handheld. It will not power on until I remove the battery and then reinstall it. Then it will power on after pressing the Power button. It will work fine once you get it on but after turning it off again you have to remove and reinstall the battery again. I have swapped batteries. I tried a different charger. When i have a battery in the unit and the battery is plugged to a charger, the orange light, bottom left of the unit, comes on. I have drained a battery some and tried the battery in the unit to make sure the charger is not somehow overcharging the battery and a safety feature is not preventing the unit from powering on.

Thanks for anyones help.

------------------------------
    David Hames

• 2.  RE: Geo7x Handheld Won't Power On Until I Remove and Reinstall The Battery

Posted 03-25-2024 13:49

I don't remember ever seeing this problem with Geo 7x, and I've done a lot of work with Geo 7x (but not recently).

One of the guys who knows Windows Embedded suggests that it could be getting stuck somewhere while shutting down or when resuming from shut down, starting up after shutting down is not quite the same as starting after the battery has been removed.

Re-loading the OS would probably fix the problem - OS 6.7.18 is available on the Trimble MCS downloads page - but then you'd have to reload all your applications which might be challenging!

Norman Smart

• 3.  RE: Geo7x Handheld Won't Power On Until I Remove and Reinstall The Battery

Posted 03-26-2024 05:19

The condition I described was how it was brought to me. At the moment, it will not even power on. Every now and then I can get it on. It does not matter which battery or charger I am using. If I can get it to power back on I can try your suggestion. Thanks for taking to the time to share. 

David Hames

• 4.  RE: Geo7x Handheld Won't Power On Until I Remove and Reinstall The Battery

Posted 03-27-2024 12:26

Failing to power on sounds like there's some hardware problem with the unit.  Try an OS reload if you can, but I don't have much hope that it will fix the behaviour.

Norman Smart

• 5.  RE: Geo7x Handheld Won't Power On Until I Remove and Reinstall The Battery

Posted 03-26-2024 06:04

I will try reinstalling the OS. I just got the unit to come back on. I had to remove the battery for an unknown extended period of time before I could put the battery in and turn the unit on again. 

David Hames