Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a known problem with TerraFlex handling UTM coordinates?

• 1.  Is there a known problem with TerraFlex handling UTM coordinates?

Posted 05-11-2023 16:06
    Is there a known problem with TerraFlex handling UTM coordinates? 

I set up a Project in TerraFlex. North America. UTM. Meters. Published to TDC 600. Collected point. Synced. Exported to CSV (Excel spreadsheet).  

XPosition and X are the same, but incorrect by 518,855 meters.

Thanks for any insight.

Michael Kennedy 

4005 Lochmere Court 

Lexington, KY 40509 

Phone: 859-230-0191 

kennedy@uky.edu 

https://geography.as.uky.edu/users/kennedy

• 2.  RE: Is there a known problem with TerraFlex handling UTM coordinates?

Posted 05-12-2023 02:46

Hi Michael

There are no known Issues currently around UTM handling so we would need more detail on this.

The community is probably not the best place to handle something like this so I would suggest you contact your local Trimble reseller to walk through your setup (Coordinate System definitions/ real-time setup including correction datums/ etc) and they can help troubleshoot.
    If a problem is uncovered then your reseller usually handles the escalation to Trimble to get any fixes implemented

------------------------------
    Tom Harrison

• 3.  RE: Is there a known problem with TerraFlex handling UTM coordinates?

Posted 05-12-2023 10:01

Dear Tom Harrison,

Many thanks for the quick reply. I will follow your advice. I'm also in touch with Trimble folks inviolved with the development of TerraFlex. (I'm copying Hamish McMillian on this email.).

The reason this is critical is that Alex Kennedy and I are revising my textbook

https://www.routledge.com/The-Global-Positioning-System-and-ArcGIS/Kennedy/p/book/9781138114630

so we clearly have to figure out if we're doing something wrong (and hence advising students to do something wrong) or if there is a bug in Connect/TerraFlex. I am also in close touch with the local Trimble folks so will run it by them (Eric & Nic) as well.

Cheers,

Michaeel Kennedy

Michael Kennedy 

4005 Lochmere Court 

Lexington, KY 40509 

kennedy@uky.edu 

geography.as.uky.edu/users/kennedy

• 4.  RE: Is there a known problem with TerraFlex handling UTM coordinates?

Posted 05-13-2023 13:24

OK. I have figured out what the problem is. Whether it is just a local bug or one with larger implications I have no way of knowing.

When I put in the address for the Workspace the map is correct. However the UTM Zone comes up as 17. The address is very much in Zone 16. I didn't notice this error when I ran the exercise.

When I change the Zone to 16 in a new project I get good coordinate numbers.

So I guess the issue that Trimble has to deal with is "Why does the software calculate the wrong UTM zone and proffer it to the user".

My co-author will be running this exercise in Berkeley CA. I will let you know whether his address shows the correct UTM zone or not.

Cheers,

Michael

<><><> 

Dear Tom Harrison,

Many thanks for the quick reply. I will follow your advice. I'm also in touch with Trimble folks inviolved with the development of TerraFlex. (I'm copying Hamish McMillian on this email.).

The reason this is critical is that Alex Kennedy and I are revising my textbook

https://www.routledge.com/The-Global-Positioning-System-and-ArcGIS/Kennedy/p/book/9781138114630

so we clearly have to figure out if we're doing something wrong (and hence advising students to do something wrong) or if there is a bug in Connect/TerraFlex. I am also in close touch with the local Trimble folks so will run it by them (Eric & Nic) as well.

Cheers,

Michael Kennedy

Michael Kennedy 

4005 Lochmere Court 

Lexington, KY 40509 

kennedy@uky.edu 

geography.as.uky.edu/users/kennedy

• 5.  RE: Is there a known problem with TerraFlex handling UTM coordinates?

Posted 05-15-2023 03:04

Hi Michael,

I have sent you an email with some additional questions about the issue you are seeing with the projected coordinates.

Thanks
    Hamish

Hamish MacMillan
    TerraFlex Product Manager