Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Thread closed by the administrator, not accepting new replies.
  • 1.  Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-04-2023 13:57
    No replies, thread closed.
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone has found a work around or if Trimble will be coming out with the feature of being able to throw/ offset points like they did with the older units. The New DA2 and Terraflex software does not allow this currently and it has become a problem for field work for us.

------------------------------
    Casey Quade

• 2.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-05-2023 04:47
    Hi Casey

Terraflex does support remote measurements. I've provided some resources below.
    If this doesn't cover what you need, please let us know your specific workflow (especially If it relates to an older SW or HW solution we had) and we will see what options we have for you

Resources:

Tom Harrison

• 3.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-05-2023 06:12
    Do you know if this will be a feature that will be offered down the road? I was told when we bought the units that we would be able to do everything that the old units did.

Casey Quade

• 4.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-05-2023 07:09
    Hi Casey

Terraflex does support offset measurements, If you take a look at the links I gave in the previous post this should explain things. If you are using a DA2 and presumably an Android or iOS device, you will also need one of the supported LTI Tru Pulse Laser Rangefinders, It's not Integrated like the Geo7x was for example (If this is what you are referring to?)

Are there some other options you need so we can better understand this? Or more information you can provide on what your previous HW/SW solution was and what's missing?

Tom Harrison

• 5.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-05-2023 07:28
    Yes with the Geo7x we could just offset a point on the unit, and did not have to purchase a laser for it. I was told that nothing would change with the new units and we would still be able to do everything with the new units as we have done with the old units. The reason this feature was critical for us is if we had to take a stream point on a vertical slope and could not access we could offset the point by X amount of feet and not have to scale the slope. We use that feature quite often and when being told we would be able to do the same with these new units without any other purchases (Laser) and now that is not the case it is quite upsetting.

Casey Quade

• 6.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-05-2023 09:11
    Hi Casey

It sounds like you should get back in touch with your local Trimble reseller to clarify these points and to also see If they have any remote measurement solutions to offer you

Tom Harrison

• 7.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-05-2023 13:53
    I second Casey's comment -  this feature came in really handy in PFO and we sure would appreciate being able to do this in Terraflex and/or TC.

Joel Maynard

• 8.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-06-2023 04:31
    Hi Joel

I just want to clarify here that Terraflex does support offset workflows - take a look at the post highlighted as best answer.

Tom Harrison

• 9.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-06-2023 06:15
    Edited by Casey Quade 01-06-2023 06:26
    Without a laser?

• 10.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-06-2023 06:26
    Edited by Casey Quade 01-06-2023 06:25
    without a laser

Casey Quade

• 11.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-09-2023 13:39
    Tom,
    Which of the recommendations is the "best answer".  I do not see highlighting.
    Bill

Bill Staggs

• 12.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-10-2023 06:26
    Hi Tom,  we need to be able to offset points manually in TerraFlex without the use of a laser range finder like we used to.  Although I appreciate the functionality and increased precision, its a costly solution for those that don't need this ability frequently.  

It sure would be nice if Trimble could add manual offsets AND the ability to view final collected coordinates in the field to the next update of Terraflex...

Joel Maynard

• 13.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-10-2023 07:51
    Agreed. Both Manuel Offsets and coordinates shown (x, y, z) after features have been collected are sorely needed!

Zach Edwards

• 14.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-10-2023 08:16
    This is how TerraSync handles a workflow when a point is being averaged (or not), and a user selects 1 of 5 Offset methods in the field.   This requires no external laser.   This capacity is one of the key components of TerraSync that has been lost in TerraFlex workflows.    

Joel Cusick

• 15.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-11-2023 09:13

Thanks for clarifying this and for the input from all of you.
    Terraflex doesn't support offset measurements without a laser rangefinder you are correct.
    I'll pass this thread over to the product management team to see If we can get a response on this

If you hit the follow option on this topic you'll be notified when this is updated

Tom Harrison

• 16.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 01-25-2023 14:02
    Hi Tom, 

I appreciate you looking into this topic. I am also a user that often used TerraSync's offset measurement without a laser rangefinder and am missing that ability in TerraFlex.

Sarah Hirsch

• 17.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.
    Best Answer

Posted 01-29-2023 14:17

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the discussion and feedback on offsets. 
    For those who are/were using offsets in TerraSync and manually entering the Distance and/or Bearing values - can you describe what method you were using to measure those values? And also what your expectations are for the positional accuracy of those features? i.e. if your GNSS accuracy was 10cm/4in and you manually measure and enter the offset value, how accurate would you expect the offset feature position to be

Thanks,

Hamish

Hamish MacMillan

• 18.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 02-02-2023 09:11
    Hello, how I use to do this is I would click offset then distance bearing. I would then fill out the bearing with a compass and put in the distance. This was done without the laser and as far as accuracy goes, I would expect the new and improved version to have the same if not better accuracy. 

Anyone else want to chime in as well?

Casey Quade

• 19.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 02-02-2023 09:19
    As Casey mentioned, we would click offset -> distance and bearing. We would also use a compass and input a measured distance. 

Because we are using a compass and measured distance, I would assume that the accuracy may slightly decrease due to human error with the entries, but that was true before so I wouldn't have any issues with that same discrepancy in TerraFlex. Maybe just have a note in your manual that states the accuracy of the point will depend on the accuracy of the input measurement/bearing.

Sarah Hirsch

• 20.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 02-07-2023 13:21
    Any update on this? or do you need more information from us? Thanks​

Casey Quade

• 21.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 02-17-2023 12:12

do we have an update @Hamish MacMillan and @Tom Harrison ?

Casey Quade

• 22.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 02-27-2023 07:49

Any update?  @Hamish MacMillan @Tom Harrison 

Casey Quade

• 23.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 03-14-2023 06:51

Still waiting to hear an answer from all of you. Any update?

Casey Quade

• 24.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 03-19-2023 20:36

Hi Casey,

Apologies for the delay in my response.

Thanks for your input above, while we have not yet made a decision to support manual entry of point offset values it is helpful to understand your workflow and accuracy expectations. 

As an alternative I am interested in whether you would consider digitizing a point on the map?

Thanks,

Hamish MacMillan
    TerraFlex Product Manager

• 25.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 04-05-2023 05:42

Still no response, I will try and send here since it has been 16 days since I have last heard and sent a follow up

No I need to offset, I have already ran into multiple problems without having this feature. I have had to haul the old unit and go back out to site to do this. So for the new units not to have this feature is an embarrassment. I have wasted time and money because this feature is not on your "new and improved units". This needs to fixed ASAP. There are multiple people on here that are having the same problem. I was promised the same and new features and now have to bring the old and new unit into the field with me because your new units cannot do the same thing as the old one. 

Casey Quade

• 26.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 04-05-2023 05:49

Just to lend some weight here, what Casey is asking for is a feature that my group is looking for as well. We are currently digitizing the points as a workaround because we don't have our old units anymore, but this solution isn't very helpful when we are actually interested in obtaining sub-meter accuracy. This is a glaring flaw with this "new and improved" software.

Sarah

Sarah Hirsch

• 27.  RE: Offsetting points / Throwing points.

Posted 04-05-2023 20:17
    Edited by Mark Kellaway 04-05-2023 20:18

Hi Sarah, Casey et al,

First of all Casey apologies that you didn't get a response to your last message, that wasn't intentional and I do understand the frustration you are feeling. The manual offsetting capability is on our roadmap, however I don't want to mislead you into thinking it is imminent, we cannot indicate a delivery time. 
    If either of you would like to discuss this further please feel free to reach out to me directly. In the meantime, and I understand this is not ideal, the digitisation option is the only workaround if a laser rangefinder can't be used.

Best regards,

Mark Kellaway