Trimble Penmap

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Penmap crash - lost data

• 1.  Penmap crash - lost data

Posted 03-19-2023 11:19

Hello,

last week we were using Penmap on a TDC600 device in the rain. We were using it to collect ifeatures with GIS attributes, including photos. The screen became hard to use and eventually the app crashed a couple of times in a row. After restarting the device, I noticed a duplicate version of the project had appeared in the project list, with the suffix "bak". I checked that all points were still there in the bak version and we made some edits to the project in the .bak version, believing that the main project was possibly corrupted. I don't remember exactly what happened but the bak version disappeared from the project list. I opened the main project again and only half the points were there.
    Is there any way of recovering the lost data? The main thing we would like to recover is the GIS points file, we can live without the photos.

Can you advise what caused the catastrophic crash? There were a lot of  hi-res photos in the project, is it better to keep projects below a certain size?

Kindest regards,

Sarah

------------------------------
    Sarah Geijsels

• 2.  RE: Penmap crash - lost data

Posted 03-20-2023 02:31

Hello Sarah,

sorry to hear. It's hard to say what happened. I'll get in touch with you directly.

In general a bak-file is not a good option to work with. If something like this happens it's the best to get in touch with your local dealer to check what happened to the data and recover it.

The usage of high resolution images can be an issue if this causes memory issues on the device - there is no general limit.

Kind regards

Conny

Cornelia Schmitz