Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Salvaging a "corrupt" SSF file?

• 1.  Salvaging a "corrupt" SSF file?

Posted 03-29-2024 06:00

Hello,

I collected a ~12Mb data file using TerraSync on a Trimble Geo7x and imported to an .ssf file using PathFinder Office.  Despite the size of the files, I am unable to see any positions or features, either with the raw data files on the controller or with the .ssf file in PathFinder Office.  I have tried using the "Check SSF" utility in PFO, but without any luck.  TBC won't have the ability to read .ssf files again until v. 2024.00.  Any chance of salvaging the data?

------------------------------
    Dennis Skidds, NPS

• 2.  RE: Salvaging a "corrupt" SSF file?

Posted 03-30-2024 07:48

I would recommend submitting this to your dealer to get over to Trimble through a formal support ticket. They are usually able to repair or salvage part, if not all of the file. They will need the entire Rover file (.obs, cfg, etc.). 

Zach Edwards

• 3.  RE: Salvaging a "corrupt" SSF file?

Posted 30 days ago

Hi Zach.  Trimble Support also suggested this, but my dealer informed me that they no longer have the ability to work with the rover or .ssf files since the retirement of TS and PFO in fall 2022.  I know they used to have other tools that could tease these files apart, and I was hoping that someone at Trimble still had a copy knocking around.

• 4.  RE: Salvaging a "corrupt" SSF file?

Posted 30 days ago
    dennis, 
    I tried repairing your file, looked like an issue with time getting hammered.  You have the raw data  (7 files) and the SSF and you said you couldn't see the features on the Geo so the surgery.  The TS version was current, and I think this will need a deeper surgery on the Ssf records itself.  

Send email to 
    geospatial_support@trimble.com.   this reaches mgis and Geospatial teams at Trimble including Ryan Scott.  Hope your park doesn't have to map the shoreline again. I could see in time view your data spanned a long time but the file did not close upon itself properly.   

It's pretty rare Terrasync can't auto repair itself.  Good luck. 

• 5.  RE: Salvaging a "corrupt" SSF file?

Posted 30 days ago

Thanks for trying, Joel.  We didn't have any luck on our end either on the device or in PFO.  Seems to be beyond the tools we have on hand, so hoping someone at Trimble might be able to help.

• 6.  RE: Salvaging a "corrupt" SSF file?

Posted 26 days ago

Hi @Dennis Skidds

Tom here from Trimble - did you get any help in the end on this?

I'll direct message you with instructions and up a case to work on this. We should be able to repair them for you (if they are repairable)

Tom Harrison