Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Siteworks development

• 1.  Siteworks development

Posted 03-22-2022 07:38
    Hello,
    I switched back to Trimble after using Leica for 2 years. When I last used Trimble I had a TSC3 with SCS900. I also tried the TSC7 before it was released with a Siteworks demo.
    Now me thinking after 3 years Siteworks after all its updates had reached a new world of functions and a user-friendly app. No, I was really disappointed and I'm finding more and more stuff that is not fixed.

I really don't like Leica Captivate but after using Siteworks for just some days I have to say that Captivate is far more user-friendly and have alot more customisation. I don't want to switch back because Leica has problems of their own.

I want to come in contact with the people developing the Sitworks app and share my ideas.

Regards, Sebastian

------------------------------
    Sebastian Lundin

• 2.  RE: Siteworks development

Posted 03-22-2022 17:31
    You can't compare Captivate and SCS900/Siteworks.  You'd have to compare iCON and SCS900/Siteworks. Simple to use interface and functions for heavy civil construction and mainly used by supervisors or leading hands, very often without any surveying experience.

Captivate is the engineering surveying software and you'd have to compare it with Trimble Access.

Ronny Schneider

• 3.  RE: Siteworks development

Posted 03-23-2022 12:22

Hello Ronny,

I had no idea about this, thank you for your answer. I will try Access 👍🏼

Kind regards, Sebastian

Sebastian Lundin

• 4.  RE: Siteworks development

Posted 17 days ago

Captivate and SCS900/Siteworks are vastly different. A better comparison would be between iCON and SCS900/Siteworks, which are both simple and suitable for construction supervisors.PM KISAN

Abc Sd

• 5.  RE: Siteworks development
    Best Answer

Posted 03-23-2022 08:20
    Hi Sebastian,

I understand your pain with SiteWorks, effectively it is a pretty version of SCS900 with all the same flaws and sluggish behaviours that used to drive me insane.

I must say I spent 5+ years using SCS900 in a TCS3 and loved it, at the time there was nothing better for setting out. The road staking workflow blew Leica out of the water (still does really). However for all the positives there is a bigger list of negatives (Traverse Workflow is horrific, Connections to TS and GPS are slow and clunky, surveying is limited, general performance is bad). I still use sitework from time to time on the TSC7 however I recently tried Trimble Access on the TSC7 and was blown away by how good it is for pretty much everything now. It certainly gives more options.

I found Access on a TSC3 great for surveying but bad for setting out, the Access 2018 version is miles ahead of the TSC3 version. It is a learning curve but if you have the hang of Captivate switching to access will be pretty smooth (it is much more logical). Access gives you many more options on site and so far the advantaged over SiteWorks for me are:

• Super Fast Auto-connect to TS, GPS (none of that slow progress bar of nonsense stuff)
    • Total stations come to life when using Access (auto search, programmable hotkeys, being able to adjust from the TSC7, measure arounds, quickly turn to point, next point, nearest point, ect)
    • Setting out is greatly improved over the TSC3 version. Once your in line stake mode you can quickly tap a new line to change the setting object. Must quicker than SiteWorks now.
    • Advanced feature coding (similar to Captivate but better), Zig Zap, Left to Right. Access gives you to tools to create really nice looking topos.
    • It is much more stable, It doesn't crash or randomly loose connection to the TS when your 200m away from it. If it does loose connection it allows you to reconnect without power cycling the TS (that use to drive me insane)
    • The ability to reference multiple jobs as background, background images, TTMs, ect.
    I could go on but suffice to say I'm 95% Access now, it is just better it pretty much ever area if you can cope with lots of options (no different to Captivate)!

If you can drive Captivate you should have no issues with Access. You can get a 30 Trial in the Trimble Installation Manager and see if it suits. Like I say the learning curve is a little steep (setting survey styles and GNSS connections) but once those are set up its a much better approach when working on multiple sites.

I would love Trimble to Improve SiteWorks however the quickest solution may be to drop it for the moment.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them merge in some way (like TBC has) at some point down the road.

Hope that was helpful!

Sam

Sam Williams

• 6.  RE: Siteworks development

Posted 03-23-2022 12:18
    Hello Sam,

Thank you your answer, this was very helpful. This is exactly what I felt the moment I tried it. A pretty version of SCS900.

I did start the 30-day trial so I will try it in the next days. I hope the workflow is more smooth 😅

Kind regards, Sebastian

Sebastian Lundin

• 7.  RE: Siteworks development

Posted 10 days ago

Hi Sebastian, 

How is your trial going with Access? 

Regards, 
    Marcelino 

marcelino rodriguez