WorksManager

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Siteworks doesn't like linework by station/offset

• 1.  Siteworks doesn't like linework by station/offset

Posted 04-21-2023 07:35

When I create linestrings via the station-offset command and export the vcl to siteworks, siteworks does not recognize the file.  I'm able to download the file from works manager and it pops up just fine.  My question is if there is an easy way to switch the linestring between station offset to coordinate based?  My work around is to just trace the lines I've drawn and re-label them via copy/paste.  Not terrible, just looking to streamline.  

This issue comes up when creating pipe files.  Many times the only information I have is station/offset/elevation.  

------------------------------
    Anthony Smith

• 2.  RE: Siteworks doesn't like linework by station/offset

Posted 04-23-2023 23:34

I don't know if it works for station/offset but reversing the line direction sets the mode to coordinates when I've used deflection.

Matt

Matthew Pitt

• 3.  RE: Siteworks doesn't like linework by station/offset

Posted 04-24-2023 06:49

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't work on my end.  

Anthony Smith

• 4.  RE: Siteworks doesn't like linework by station/offset

Posted 04-24-2023 05:34
    Edited by Scott Threet 04-24-2023 05:36

This function too? Sheesh sometimes I wonder if the guys managing Siteworks even know what SCS did or Siteworks does. They certainly don't have the first idea of how business center works! I had posted a list of items that Siteworks stopped supporting: 

1. Underscore Underscore (__line name) allows you to enter a station of any linestring. Was supported by Siteworks, no longer supported by Siteworks.
      2. Linestrings elevated by the vertical plane was supported by Siteworks but is no longer supported. Meaning all curvilinear lines now are forced to be corded increasing file size and decreasing accuracy.
      3. There were more, I will go find the link to my original post. https://community.trimble.com/discussion/trimble-business-center-not-supported-by-trimble-siteworks-per-trimble-support-1?ReturnUrl=%2fcommunities%2fcommunity-homepage%2fdigestviewer%3fcommunitykey%3d05542456-e9ac-43c3-abc8-9e70405a464d
      4. And, now lines created by station and offset have to be converted prior to exporting.

[Scott] [Threet]
    [Flatiron]

• 5.  RE: Siteworks doesn't like linework by station/offset

Posted 05-01-2023 07:57
    @Scott Threet 
    There's no need to call into question the competence or experience of Trimble product managers here.  As "the (one and only) guy managing Siteworks and SCS900" I can assure you I know very well what SCS did and Siteworks does.  And while I'm not a TBC expert, as that it not my product to manage, I have a pretty good understanding of how TBC works and how it interacts with Siteworks.  If you have commentary or other issues you'd like to bring up regarding Siteworks please feel free to DM me or work through our excellent SITECH channel and support network to put in support cases, rather than publicly disparage me, the product, the Siteworks development and QA team, and by extension Trimble as a whole. 

I've been the PM of Siteworks and SCS900 for well over 7 years, and don't claim to know "everything" about the software, nor am I outside using it all day everyday in a production environment, or producing "constructible models" in TBC, but I interact with the multiple Trimble teams that are involved in all of the 3+ million lines of code in Siteworks and do my best to work as closely as possible with the TBC team who also manage many million more constantly evolving lines of code.  Both code bases are constantly changing and all of us at Trimble come to work each day and do the best we can with the teams and resources we have to make sure users such as yourself have the best experience possible. But in dealing with complex software and complex data formats interacting between separate software products we sometimes miss the mark, as it is impossible to check every single possible data type and functionality in every single release, especially given the pace of development of two completely different software programs managed and developed by two different teams in different locations around the world. I and the development and testing teams work hard at making Siteworks the best it can be and am extremely proud of what the entire Siteworks Team has accomplished as a product since its release.  It's not perfect by any means, but our continually growing worldwide user base of 10,000+ users still seem to find value in performing their construction surveying tasks with it, despite perhaps a few missing or lacking features. 

If you would like to get into our beta program and leverage your Siteworks, SCS900 and TBC experience to constructively contribute to testing and providing feedback to improve the software and help us investigate the items that might be missing between versions or lacking in the VCL etc. I invite to you to reach out to me for consideration for inclusion in that group. 

As for getting back to a more productive conversation here. . . Siteworks v1.50 released in November 2022 was updated to a more current version of the TBC VCL libraries and now is able to open the data that was referenced in the post you mention.  I don't have updates on the other items you mention now.  But I can unconditionally state with full confidence that progress is always being made to ensure compatibility between TBC and Siteworks with respect to the VCL data formats.  

If you'd like to post or share some of the other data that is seemingly incompatible I can take a look and see if our unreleased versions of Siteworks, which have even further updated the TBC VCL libraries fixes any of the issues you and others have found.  Otherwise I encourage you to work with your SITECH dealer to submit a support case with specific instances of items that you find are not present in Siteworks that were in SCS900, or other VCL specific items.  We can't possibly test every dataset with every possible permutation of every possible TBC function as it plays in Siteworks, and rely on customers working with their SITECH partners to let us know of issues, and also look at this and other public Trimble Community forums.  

Steve DiBenedetto

• 6.  RE: Siteworks doesn't like linework by station/offset

Posted 05-11-2023 17:14

I had a issue when I exported a project design.  Where one  of my layers of linestring did not come thru to Siteworks.  not sure why and i exported two other layers and they showed up on the dc.  I did a revision of the design by doing a convert linestring of the missing linestring and only exported that layer.  it showed up.  I just wonder why it didnt send that one layer.  and I exported those layers thru a DXF from my actual work project and imported into another TBC project to be sent to WM.

Francisco Guerrero