Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

TerraFlex displaying elevation

• 1.  TerraFlex displaying elevation

Posted 08-26-2022 08:52
    Is Positions in conjunction with TerraFlex the only way for users to capture elevation still? Has there been any update to this procedure? What can be done if a user doesn't have Esri products? Been searching and haven't found a straightforward answer. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Kara O'Neill

• 2.  RE: TerraFlex displaying elevation

Posted 08-28-2022 13:53
    I suggest you provide a bit more information about what you are trying to do. 
    For example: Are you using Android or iOS or Windows?  What GNSS receiver are you using?  What are you going to do with the positions you capture?

Norman Smart

• 3.  RE: TerraFlex displaying elevation

Posted 08-28-2022 19:02
    Positions is for post-processing (differential correction) of your TerraFlex or TerraSync field-collected data. You can collect accurate elevation data without but you would need a real-time correction source such as VRS or RTX. Like Norman said, there are a lot of details missing here such as receiver being used, accuracy the receiver is configured at (sub-meter, decimeter, CM), where you are working, if you have cellular in the field, etc.

Zach Edwards

• 4.  RE: TerraFlex displaying elevation

Posted 08-29-2022 04:44
    Thank and you're both right some context would have been ideal. So I have two devices, the 150cm and the DA2, hourly, which I want to figure out both using iOS and Android for the DA2. I have both TerraFlex and Esri products and sometimes I send people out with either/or depending on the situation. I do have a real-time subscription for a network so I can get corrections and I am not looking to do this offline. I have been watching the videos from Frontier Precision and still think I did something wrong in my setup because the readings just don't make sense. The field maps set up from the video did work, but again I think my transformation might be off, working with NAD 83 (2011). I want to continue using the 150 with TerraFlex as well vs. the old collector. The most successful I have been with readings that did make sense was Positions with TerraFlex, but before I renew that license I wanted to see if there were any other solutions with the 150. I just feel like I am running in circles and could use a little more direction. 

I uploaded my set ups with the user info whited out. 

Kara O'Neill

• 5.  RE: TerraFlex displaying elevation

Posted 08-29-2022 08:28
    I am assuming that Server URL, Port, and Mount Point Name all have proper settings and that they've been blanked out for security.

Isn't GNSS Source Reference Frame supposed to be set to that of the RTK corrections (rather than Auto)? I would think that should be set to NAD83 (2011). Then Epoch will show up under that setting. It should probably be set to 2010.0.

After making changes to settings in TMM on iOS devices, I have found that sometimes the ESRI app must be closed and re-opened for things to start working.

Paul Lohr

• 6.  RE: TerraFlex displaying elevation

Posted 08-30-2022 11:06
    Thanks, everyone for the responses. I figured a couple of things out. A few sources indicated using Auto vs using that Epoch Paul mentioned so I tried using the 2010.0 Epoch as Paul suggested. Then closed out and reopened and that helped... I doubled checked my transformations and that all seemed okay. The stupidest thing I managed to accomplish,  was not realizing that Field Maps worked in meters and had to convert both my pole height and the altitude on the backend with a conversion to feet. The readings I was seeing in TMM were spot on minus the pole height. I am finally getting what I expected and within the tolerance of what seems acceptable. Thanks again...   It was actually re-reading this post again that helped me realize the meters issue: https://community.trimble.com/blogs/matt-morris1/2020/11/18/orthometric-heights-with-trimble-gnss-esri-collector-part-1-of-4

Kara O'Neill

• 7.  RE: TerraFlex displaying elevation

Posted 08-30-2022 13:30
    Hi Kara (and Paul, Zach, etc.). Glad to hear you got it working. Just a quick note on the use of Auto for GNSS source reference frame (or GNSS output frame for that matter). In the majority of cases, Auto will always translate to the most commonly used (or "official") local datum @ reference epoch for the region in which the receiver is being used at that time. So for the entirety of the continental US, Auto will give you NAD 1983 (2011) epoch 2010.00.​..same as if you selected it from the list manually.

Matthew Morris