Trimble Connect User Forum

View Only

Corrupt Account?

Keith Ciociola's profile image
Keith Ciociola posted 01-23-2022 06:56
Details of my issue are outlined here: There was a problem downloading this file. It may have been deleted from Trimble Connect
SketchUp Community remove preview
There was a problem downloading this file. It may have been deleted from Trimble Connect
I see that others have had this issue in the past and within the last two weeks, it's become a big one for me. Solutions seem to range from "just wait" to "clear your cache" to "change your project locale". I've tried all these things and thought I had it nailed last night when I changed my project ownership setting.
View this on SketchUp Community >

Basically, I can't open models that I've worked on recently. Trimble Connect is telling me that:

1. the files I'm looking at in Trimble Connect have been deleted (when clearly they have not been), or that
  2. they're not Sketchup Models (which clearly they are because I was just working on them) or that
  3. I don't have permission to access them (which is clearly not true for the same as reason number 2)

I had been working on a model for 2+ hours last night when I got those last two errors in succession.

I have not hit account storage limits, as detailed in the forum post linked above.

UPDATE: I should note that as of this morning, Trimble Connect Viewer is not able to open previous versions of the model from Version History.

I'm using free versions of Sketchup and Trimble Connect - have been for years and all of a sudden in the last month or so, the number of issues has been increasing. Is there anyone to contact about this and is there any possible resolution? I have a handful of models, but they represent work over several years and I'd hate to lose it all.

Darshan Rajaram Kamat's profile image
Darshan Rajaram Kamat
Hi Keith,
Could you please send the following details to our Support Team (connect-support@trimble.com) - 
1. Connect Project name and Region (Europe / North America / Asia) 
2. Any sample file ID or name that you are facing issue
3. Your userID or email address used to access Trimble Connect

I tried loading the file shared in the Sketchup support channel. It loaded fine.

At a glance it looks like this is a file / project specific issue. However, our team will have to investigate it. 

Regards
Darshan Kamat
Dave Maplewood's profile image
Dave Maplewood
I am having the exact same problem. No way to find any solution. Did you have any success with solving this issue?
Keith Ciociola's profile image
Keith Ciociola
Ultimately, support had to intervene. I sent them copies of model files that had issues and some without issues. They determined that the data files had been corrupted, but were able to recover them. The one file I was concerned with was simple enough that I could recreate it fairly quickly. In the meantime, they recovered the file and sent it back to me. They also determined that it was "an issue on their side" and were going to release a fix. This was back in February 2022, so I assume it's long since been addressed. There was nothing I could do on my end.

Looking back through the email conversations I had with support, it wasn't clear if it was a Trimble Connect issue or a SketchUp issue. I was bounced back and forth between support teams, but ultimately, It appears to be the Trimble support team that solved the issue. Because of all of this, I've been a little "gun shy" and haven't used SketchUp much. The free version seemed much more stable when it was a desktop app. My confidence and trust in the web app have been eroded since this happened to me and I'm concerned about modeling anything complex.

Your best bet may be to contact support and reference this thread. They may be able to help you. Best of luck!
Dave Maplewood's profile image
Dave Maplewood
Thank you for taking the time to write back. Really appreciate it. Glad your problems were solved. There was a breakthrough on this problem yesterday when I thought I would try to log into the SketchUp web-app on my old computer where I did most of my drawings, and very strangely that did work and the models loaded. This makes no sense since everything is web-based here, both the app and the cloud storage, but I instantly downloaded all my designs to local storage. On this computer I was also able to work on the designs, save them, rename them, etc like nothing had ever happened. Strange at best. But at least I got my data which was my goal.

I must agree that I will not be using the web-app and cloud storage again. Hard to overcome trust issues with storage once you've been spooked like that.

Worst of all was the lack of replies from Sketchup/Trimble support. I got an auto-reply to all of my emails saying that support is only provided to users with pro subscription. I get it, no such thing as a free lunch, but when the free version (which is the gateway to paid versions) takes your data hostage - it kind of warrants a support effort. But maybe everything is fine with support If you have a larger subscription - who knows. Sketchup is a great tool so I hope my confidence in it returns.