Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Unable to achieve fixed solution in ArcGIS Field Maps

• 1.  Unable to achieve fixed solution in ArcGIS Field Maps

Posted 10-21-2021 20:17

I have tried to use my client's iPad Pro 11" (2nd Generation) with iOS: 14.8, with Trimble Mobile Manager version2.8.1.1050 & ESRI Field Maps version: 21.3.0 (Build 512). 

However, even we have reached RTK Fixed in TMM, going back to Field Maps still got accuracy of around 1m, and Fix mode is differential or even autonomous. We have tried with another iPad with IOS 14.6, and it works perfectly. The version of TMM &Field maps on the both iPAD were the same. The testing were done in the same place at similar time.
    The only different should be the IOS, iPAD version and log in account of ArcGIS. 

Not sure about the reason, Did anyone has got the same problem? 

Thank you.

------------------------------
    Vivian Lee

• 2.  RE: Unable to achieve fixed solution in ArcGIS Field Maps

Posted 10-25-2021 02:25
    Edited by Tom Harrison 10-25-2021 02:25
    Hi Vivan

Can you tell us what GNSS receiver you were using please (Including firmware)
    This will help the community provide help to this question

Tom Harrison

• 3.  RE: Unable to achieve fixed solution in ArcGIS Field Maps

Posted 10-25-2021 02:45
    Hi Tom,

I was using R12i antenna with FW v6.12 (core v5.52)
    Thank you.

Vivian Lee

• 4.  RE: Unable to achieve fixed solution in ArcGIS Field Maps

Posted 10-25-2021 03:39
    Hi Vivan

One thing you can quickly check whilst waiting for the community response is the iOS location settings, make sure this is enabled for TMM and FieldMaps in the same way on both devices and retry

Tom Harrison

• 5.  RE: Unable to achieve fixed solution in ArcGIS Field Maps

Posted 10-25-2021 21:07
    Hi Tom, 

The Location sharing and Precision Location were both turned on.
    thank you.

Vivian Lee

• 6.  RE: Unable to achieve fixed solution in ArcGIS Field Maps

Posted 10-27-2021 07:36
    I have found that the GNSS receiver and controlling software (TMM) sometimes need to sit a while (5 minutes, perhaps) with an open sky view to probably establish an adequate almanac. This is the case for a device that hasn't 'seen' GNSS signals for quite a while, has been moved a significant distance or is brand new. Everything should be setup as if you were going to perform data collection before doing this. It may be wise to turn off Auto-Lock in the Settings app while doing this.

TMM and Field Maps or Collector can be difficult to get working properly so don't feel bad. It isn't like the Geo7x where the thing is up and running every time in a few minutes. We spend a lot of time messing with things, trying to make the system work.

Paul Lohr

• 7.  RE: Unable to achieve fixed solution in ArcGIS Field Maps

Posted 10-28-2021 13:00
    Hi Vivian,

We have tried this with an almost identical configuration with no problems. Some things to check that may help narrow down the issue:
    • Do you see TMM flash to the front when opening the map in Field Maps? If not what about if you open another map?
    • It might be worth upgrading to the latest version of Field Maps: v21.3.1, and also to TMM v2.9
    • Were you prompted to select the "Trimble Mobile Manager" folder the first time you chose the R12 in Field Maps. If you have not been prompted then please try uninstalling and reinstalling TMM before running Field Maps again. When you are prompted to select the Field Maps folder be sure to select the Trimble Mobile Manager folder.
    Regards,

Mark Kellaway

• 8.  RE: Unable to achieve fixed solution in ArcGIS Field Maps

Posted 10-28-2021 19:10
    Hi Mark, 

Thank you for the reply.
    We have tested on our iPad and my iPhone as well, but only the client's iPad Pro got the issue. In fact I have tried to ask ESRI this question too and they told me to search for whether iPad Pro can be capable with TMM and Field Maps. However, I cannot find one. 
    Also, answers to your questions as below: 

• Do you see TMM flash to the front when opening the map in Field Maps? If not what about if you open another map?
      We have tried 2 maps as I remember. and yes, TMM has flashed out when I open Field Maps
    • It might be worth upgrading to the latest version of Field Maps: v21.3.1, and also to TMM v2.9
      I will try to ask them to upgrade the apps later
    • Were you prompted to select the "Trimble Mobile Manager" folder the first time you chose the R12 in Field Maps. If you have not been prompted then please try uninstalling and reinstalling TMM before running Field Maps again. When you are prompted to select the Field Maps folder be sure to select the Trimble Mobile Manager folder.
      Yes, when I first opened the Field Maps, I remember it requested me to link to the TMM correct folder
    Thank you.

Vivian Lee

• 9.  RE: Unable to achieve fixed solution in ArcGIS Field Maps

Posted 10-28-2021 19:16
    Hi Vivian,

I'll contact you directly by email.

Regards,

Mark Kellaway