Trimble Connect User Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Import from File to Attach KMZ File

• 1.  Import from File to Attach KMZ File

Posted 11-13-2020 16:46

Hello All.  I wanted to know if anyone has had any luck in Trimble Connect importing successfully a KMZ File as we could in Trimble Insphere on to the TerraFlex App.  

I used the original Verde Connect MicroStation file to create a KMZ with just the right-of-way level turned on.  All other levels were turned off.  Then did the following:

1. Signed in to Trimble Connect and opened My Connect project.
    2. Clicked + Add and selected Map workspace.
    3. Named Map workspace.
    4. Selected (+) and scrolled down to Import from file to attach KMZ file.  KMZ loaded but not in the correct location. 
    5. Signed in to Trimble TDC 100.  The KMZ file uploaded with a tmap extension.  What is tmap? Unfortunately, when I select file to launch it says Error Unsupported file format.

Any suggestions on what we are doing wrong.  We have tried everything with the end user.  If you know of another software solution that i can recommend to the client he is very frustrated that he was able to do this under insphere and now that is gone for him and he needs that platform as he does not utilize ArcGIS or other platforms. 

• 2.  RE: Import from File to Attach KMZ File

Posted 12-18-2020 10:17

Hi Evelyn,

I see this post was made before our switch over to the new Community space, so I wanted to get a response on here in case others find your post since the new platform switch.

The recent updates to Connect and the Map Viewer have greatly improved the import handling and troubleshooting of potential errors when importing of something like a KMZ.

A couple of comments to your process and clarification on the import of KMZ:

• When you create a Map Workspace inside of Tirmble Connect, that is stored on the Connect platform as a .tmap file. So a Map Workspace and a TMAP are one in the same.
    • When using a software like TerraFlex mobile, a Map Workspace (or TMAP) is equivalent to a TerraFlex Mobile project. If I have 3 Map Workspaces inside a single Connect Project, I will have three different TerraFlex projects available to me on TerraFlex Mobile.
    • When importing a KMZ into a Map Workspace using the 'Import from File' you are adding it as a Map Layer. Depending on the field application being used, you may have to take additional action for that layer to show up on the mobile device.
    • If the import fails, you will now be prompted with an ID that you can provide to support for further troubleshooting as to why the import failed.

------------------------------
    Lane Carter

• 3.  RE: Import from File to Attach KMZ File

Posted 05-24-2021 09:31
    Hello.  I wanted to know what additional action is needed so that the imported KMZ layer file is able to be viewed in TerraFlex on the mobile device.

Aaron Montoya

• 4.  RE: Import from File to Attach KMZ File

Posted 05-24-2021 13:30
    Edited by Lane Carter 05-24-2021 13:32
    Hi Aaron,

If you have already imported the KMZ file into a Map Workspace and it is visible as a layer within the Map Viewer, in order to have it show up as data you can update on TerraFlex Mobile:

1. You will need to create a form template from the layer you imported. Do this by hovering over the layer and clicking the 'Add' button. Edit the schema and attributes as necessary, then click 'Create'. You can made additional edits to the form template after its been created inside the form template editor.

2. After your form template is created, if you have existing features you need to update information on specifically, create a 'ToDo' or Task by selecting the features that need to be updated and click the ToDo button. Once a ToDo is created, it will show up as a 'Task' in TerraFlex Mobile under the project with the same title as your map workspace.

For additional help on these topics, you can visit the TerraFlex Help Portal topics:

1. Importing data to the Map Viewer
    2. Creating tasks for data maintenance

Lane Carter