Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How can I limit the template matching algorithm to one region (object) in eCognition? - I used a region variable (because it possible to update it by action) but the result is always an empty layer. Anybody else faced the similar issue? How can I fix it?

• 1.  How can I limit the template matching algorithm to one region (object) in eCognition? - I used a region variable (because it possible to update it by action) but the result is always an empty layer. Anybody else faced the similar issue? How can I fix it?

Posted 09-15-2020 14:29

When I limit the template matching algorithm to a smaller area on the map with a region variable the result is always an empty layer and class with zero founded object (tree - in this case). When I run the same for the whole area (without spatial limitation) it works without any issues. The region variable uses the UI selection values (by action) and it is possible to refresh it by selecting other regions.
    What can be the problem? Why the template matching does not run in the area defined by the region variable? - and most importantly how can I fix this issue?

• 2.  Re: How can I limit the template matching algorithm to one region (object) in eCognition? - I used a region variable (because it possible to update it by action) but the result is always an empty layer. Anybody else faced the similar issue? How can I fix

Posted 09-18-2020 00:01

Hello Levente,

This is a good question!

It seems that the 'template matching' algorithm supports only the 'pixel level' domain. With this limitation and your wish to restrict the algorithm on a area of interest (normally defined by an image object domain or region - what you tried already), we have to limit the 'pixel level' domain via a special 'map'. Please generate (based on your region variable) a new map (using 'copy map') algorithm and execute the 'template matching' process on the new map (defined via the domain of the process). Sound complicated, but it is easy. :-)

By the way, you can transfer the output layer between maps via 'transfer layer' algorithm.

Hope that helps,

If not, and please use the eCognition Community for such questions! (myself and my colleagues and other eCognition users helping each others here. You can find also demonstration projects (see Library in the Knowleadge base) and much more. Please be active here: eCognition | Knowledge Base 

See you at the eCognition Community,

Christian

• 3.  Re: How can I limit the template matching algorithm to one region (object) in eCognition? - I used a region variable (because it possible to update it by action) but the result is always an empty layer. Anybody else faced the similar issue? How can I fix

Posted 09-18-2020 05:57

Dear Christian,

Thank you for your detailed answer, it helps a lot. 
    All the best,
    Levente