Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Catalyst for IOS

• 1.  Catalyst for IOS

Posted 03-18-2020 13:04

Has anyone heard any updates on when the catalyst will be released for IOS? I knew it was suppose to be soon, but hadn't heard anything for sure. I am looking to buy very soon but would like to hold out for IOS as opposed to android. Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Catalyst for IOS

Posted 03-19-2020 08:06

The Product Team is continues to work hard on the future of all products, and of course Catalyst is included.

We're making progress, but no announcement or further release timeline is available currently.

• 3.  Re: Catalyst for IOS

Posted 03-19-2020 08:58

Hi Aaron,

Thanks so much for that question. I get that alot from my clients and would like, if you just have a few seconds, to inquire the specific reason IOS is preferred over Android?

My top answer so far from my clients is "We already own/made the investment in iPads" or simply "we are an IOS shop". Definitely great reasons, but still implies 'by choice'. I've only heard one person tell me "Our asset management system only runs on IOS". Is your field software of record IOS only?

Thanks for your time!

• 4.  Re: Catalyst for IOS

Posted 03-19-2020 10:15

Our field software is IOS or android.  I would say the big reason for us is the same as others, we have all IOS devices already, so buying android devices to go on top of it just doesn't make sense for us.  We are wanting to order about 15 of these, and everyone that would receive a catalyst already has an Iphone that is set up with our software. 

• 5.  Re: Catalyst for IOS

Posted 04-14-2020 11:36

Hello,  still trying to understand all of the Trimble software available.  Would catalyst for ios enable a software developer to have control on connecting Trimble GNSS receivers and accessing raw data like NMEA sentences?

• 6.  Re: Catalyst for IOS

Posted 04-15-2020 00:10

Hi David,

you mix two things here:

1. Catalyst is a positioning system - and a bit different compared to our traditional receivers as its a software defined GNSS receiver

2. Raw data like NMEA messages are available on all Trimble devices although they are not as useful as it may sound - especially on iOS. But any traditional receiver like an R2 or R10 can output NMEA.

While talking about iOS things get a bit complicated. So we don't have Catalyst for iOS.
    But what we do have are strategies to access raw data of a traditional receiver. I'll shoot you a mail on the topic as I belief it might be a bit too much for this platform. 

If I'm wrong I can still copy/ paste it here later (in case of demand). 

Regards

Nico