Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

R1 Use with ArcGIS Field Maps on iOS

Thread closed by the administrator, not accepting new replies.
  • 1.  R1 Use with ArcGIS Field Maps on iOS

Posted 03-19-2021 08:24
    Edited by dustin.dhuyvetter@fhr.com dustin.dhuyvetter@fhr.com 03-19-2021 08:38
    No replies, thread closed.

Our team has noticed that to use an R1 with Field Maps on iOS, you have to not only download the Trimble Mobile Manager app, but also create an account. We have a good number of field users who currently pair their R1s with Collector, and this change will be a disruption to our business as we switch to Field Maps.

Not only will our employees now have to download an additional app to use their R1s. Every time one of our field personnel gets logged out of this app and thus can't use their tools it will interrupt their work process, waste a minimum of a few minutes of their time, and likely result in them reaching out to our GIS team and taking up our time as well. We purchased these R1s under the assumption that they are standalone Bluetooth devices that don't require an account or additional software to use, and this development changes those terms. If the R1s simply required the Trimble Mobile Manager to be downloaded, but there wasn't a required account creation/sign-in process, it could be seen as an annoyance, as our employees won't likely use the app for much, but it would be tolerable as it wouldn't be a disruption long term.

• 2.  RE: R1 Use with ArcGIS Field Maps on iOS

Posted 03-19-2021 08:38
    I think I read somewhere that Trimble Mobile Manager only requires a sign in every 30 days. You might check into that. Even so, I hear what you are saying. Feel free to correct me on this.

Another option might be checking the Trimble GNSS Direct SDK documentation to see if there's a way around this, if you wrote an iOS application (or hired out the work). Not an easy or cheap path but there are enough issues in Collector / Field Maps and Trimble Mobile Manager that it has crossed my mind to at least check into it at some point.

I take it that if you wanted to use submeter accuracy WAAS corrected GNSS due to a no cell coverage area, you'd have to remember to sign in before leaving cell coverage area. Again, feel free to correct me.

------------------------------
    Paul Lohr

• 3.  RE: R1 Use with ArcGIS Field Maps on iOS

Posted 04-21-2021 07:30
    I don't see writing an iOS application as a preferable alternative. I'd simply like the R1 to work with Field Maps the same way it works with Collector and don't understand why an account needs to be created to use a bluetooth device.

dustin.dhuyvetter@fhr.com dustin.dhuyvetter@fhr.com

• 4.  RE: R1 Use with ArcGIS Field Maps on iOS

Posted 05-14-2021 09:27
    a sentiment voiced by many users (and in other threads in this community) - hope there is news here soon  :)

Gale Shea, GISP
    MGIS Rep, WI

• 5.  RE: R1 Use with ArcGIS Field Maps on iOS

Posted 08-20-2021 09:57
    Has Trimble elected to stick with the current Trimble Mobile Manager set-up? It's been five months since I posted this, and I haven't seen any real response to these concerns on this board.

dustin.dhuyvetter@fhr.com dustin.dhuyvetter@fhr.com

• 6.  RE: R1 Use with ArcGIS Field Maps on iOS

Posted 03-02-2022 13:32
    Hi Dustin and others, you will be interested in this update:
    Trimble Mobile Manager has been updated to version 2.9.5 and is now available on the Apple App store and Android Play store.

TMM 2.9.5 removes the need for users to login with a Trimble ID when connecting to R-series receivers, Spectra receivers or the TDC150. Users of Catalyst based receivers (DA2, DA1) will need to continue to login in as before.
    From a workflow perspective users will see that opening TMM will take them to the Home screen of the app. Users will only be asked to login if they connect to a receiver that requires it, either the Catalyst DA2 or DA1.

For users of ArcGIS Field Maps an update from Esri will be needed to take advantage of this new functionality. We are in close conversation with our colleagues at Esri to ensure that the TMM/Field Maps solution is aligned ASAP. We will update you as soon as we have more news on this.

I'd like to thank everyone, especially those who have provided feedback, for your patience as we have worked towards this solution.

Mark Kellaway