Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

The Value of an All-in-one Handheld - A geo8x

• 1.  The Value of an All-in-one Handheld - A geo8x

Posted 04-01-2021 15:50
    I hope this starts a discussion here on the merits of a All-in-one Geo replacement for the mapping community (GIS users).

Call me old school, but in the world of surveying, its a mark of honor - holding onto reliable, ruggedized field devices to get a job done, and processing /QC/QA and deliverables in workflows that know how to handle precision data.  This seems to me to be losing favor replacing what was all-in-one device to multiple component mapping.  When can we expect a Geo8x with Floodlight?

Don't get me wrong I know it takes time to develop, engineer these systems, and now compounding this is building something to communicate to a phone built by a company only wants you to keep for 2 years, or the underlying API's for a software you have to build for keep changing.  But there still is a value for an all-in-one- GPS centric ruggedized gps tool without 2 wires running to a laser and a receiver, or managing two devices (controller, receiver), each running a BT radio, each with unique batteries, each requiring maintenance warranties, updates etc, etc.....  This has not been fun, and actually inefficient from the user side.

Its all right to build something proprietary -   If it works, if its going to be supported, and if its built right the first time.

Having a foot both in the Survey side of Trimble and the Mapping Side, its day vs night in the advancements / Team size that Surveying gets (compare release/emphasis on Access/TBC) versus the release/team size/sheer complexity that the Mapping support side have to contend with. I don't see how Matt and team keep up.  It would make a surveyors head spin right of his shoulders!   

Trimble use to put a heck of a weight behind Mapping components and led the world, but now its like we, who number by a factor of 10 when comparing the GIS community vs Surveying, are not getting the recognition that we so deserve.  Not saying were better than Surveyors - we all need each other, but we far outnumber the surveying crowd in mass (Witness everyone knowing what a Covid Dashboard is).  

Are there others like me, or should I just shut up and pick up my controller, my GPS, my laser, 2 extra batteries and head into the bush?

Sincerely Joel

------------------------------
    Joel Cusick

• 2.  RE: The Value of an All-in-one Handheld - A geo8x
    Best Answer

Posted 04-07-2021 22:11
    Edited by Joel Cusick 04-10-2021 12:40
    Hi Joel,

Thanks for your post - I always enjoy reading your contributions, and your passion is inspiring for everyone in the Trimble Mapping & GIS team. You are right on many of your points - building custom professional GNSS products is hard and sometimes complicated work, and building software platforms for the workflows we need to support in the Mapping/GIS space are complicated too. We are fortunate to have such a skilled technology team here at Trimble. We are committed to continuing to bring new solutions for our Mapping & GIS customers, and I want to reassure you (and others) that we are always striving to bring new and innovative products to our customers. We are always working on something new - and while I don't share the specifics publicly until we are ready, I want to assure you that we are listening and do hear the calls for specific design patterns and product attributes. Stay tuned!

I encourage others readers to chime in here with their thoughts and ideas too.

Best regards,
    Gareth

Gareth Gibson

• 3.  RE: The Value of an All-in-one Handheld - A geo8x

Posted 04-12-2021 09:25
    Edited by Cliff Hoeffner 04-12-2021 17:19
    I would agree with Joel that customers do want a handheld type receiver.  I have (2) customer's that refuse to upgrade from their Geo6000s because they don't want a pole mounted solution.  They were about to pull the trigger on a TDC150 when Esri released Field Maps.  It's requirement to run Android 8 killed the deal.  I'm looking forward to see what you all come up with for the TDC150's replacement.

Cliff Hoeffner

• 4.  RE: The Value of an All-in-one Handheld - A geo8x

Posted 04-12-2021 09:58
    The main problem is Trimble lagging on Android OS    the TDC600 is Android 8.0.0 and we already are in version 11.0.0 release in most devices so programming the Trimble Mapping & GIS apps for version 8 already starts highly restricted.

Also using this Android 8.0.0 really hurts Trimble public bidding and private clients sales... the reviews always come with obsolete OS 

Trimble was always the pioneer in GNSS so it needs to get back in this quest and vision

Alexander Holsteinson

• 5.  RE: The Value of an All-in-one Handheld - A geo8x

Posted 04-15-2021 15:10
    Ditto from my user base...  all-in-one is a desired form factor still

I also echo Joel's sentiment about total number/size of "GIS" user base seemingly not getting a comparative Trimble effort (next to TBC).
    Our MGIS hardware does not get as much revenue per unit - but our user base is huge and growing. 
    The legacy 'silo' view of GIS vs Survey does not serve us or our clients well.

Gale Shea, GISP
    MGIS Rep, WI

• 6.  RE: The Value of an All-in-one Handheld - A geo8x

Posted 04-15-2021 15:59
    Gale,
    Well said.

Joel Cusick

• 7.  RE: The Value of an All-in-one Handheld - A geo8x

Posted 04-12-2021 11:55
    Joel the problem is that the accuracy gap between GIS and Survey is shrinking every day so for Trimble has become blurred product wise.

Trimble needs to reinvent its markets for its visionary products as it used to in 80s, 90s and 2000s

LiDAR handheld with integrated RTK GNSS is a must have today for Trimble

Alexander Holsteinson

• 8.  RE: The Value of an All-in-one Handheld - A geo8x

Posted 05-14-2021 09:31
    Just FYI -- I have had another small flurry of inquiries here in May for a possible new "all-in-one" handheld device.  (i.e. The "new GEO" replacement.)

Gale Shea, GISP
    MGIS Rep, WI

• 9.  RE: The Value of an All-in-one Handheld - A geo8x

Posted 06-20-2021 10:16
    As a GIS guy who dabbles on the survey side I would be happy, maybe others too if MGIS simply had the TSC5 running Terrasync.  Of course a few updates but man that would be killer.  Not asking for the moon here but what a combo that would make.  TSC5+TerrasynconAndroid+Positions imagine using a few utilities like DDF, differential correction when not in Real-time.  !

Joel Cusick

• 10.  RE: The Value of an All-in-one Handheld - A geo8x

Posted 06-20-2021 15:01
    Hi Joel,

An interesting thought, thanks. I'm keen to understand more about the TSC5 form factor. Do we think that the landscape form factor on a device like the TSC5 would be acceptable for GIS users, where more traditionally a form in portrait mode would be more familiar?

Thanks.

Mark Kellaway

• 11.  RE: The Value of an All-in-one Handheld - A geo8x

Posted 06-21-2021 14:55

Give the GIS community a screen, we can live with anything. 

• 12.  RE: The Value of an All-in-one Handheld - A geo8x

Posted 06-21-2021 21:12
    Thanks Joel!

Mark Kellaway

• 13.  RE: The Value of an All-in-one Handheld - A geo8x

Posted 08-02-2021 09:03
    Just another real-life request last week on this - And I quote the client :
    "Still disappointed Trimble does not have a unit similar to our current (Geo) unit with the hand held option.  It was a nice midrange – miduse – mid price unit.  Just had it out the other day for a little project.   Send this on to your development team to bring it back."

Gale Shea, GISP
    MGIS Rep, WI