Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

different GeoXH models; SBAS issues; TerraSync

• 1.  different GeoXH models; SBAS issues; TerraSync

Posted 01-16-2021 05:13
    Dear all,

Only recently I updated two of my three GeoXHs, a GeoXH 2008 and a GeoXH 6000, to TerraSync 5.86 (SE).
    The remaining device, another GeoXH 6000, runs TerraSync 5.41 (PE).

Browsing the TerraSync support page I found an updated SBAS.ini which I installed on all three devices.

Corrections for the GeoXHs 6000 normally come from the SAPOS network via mobile data.
    The GeoXH 2008 is connected to a Zephyr 2 antenna. Prior to collecting data I usually wait for SBAS corrections and a 2ft accuracy. Postprocessing will do the rest.

I set up all three mentioned devices with a good view of the PRNs 123 and 136 (EGNOS; since I am in Germany).

All three GNSS receivers were reset; only the above-mentioned PRNs were activated; the rest of the SBAS deactivated

Outcome:

- the GeoXH 6000 running TS 5.86 on GNSS firmware 4.02 was able to detect and track EGNOS
    - the other GeoXH 6000 with TS 5.41 and GNSS firmware 3.06 detected PRNs 123 and 136 but didn't make any use of them
    - the GeoXH 2008 (TS 5.86 and firmware 2.11) detected PRN 120, which is not even in the latest SBAS.ini, and hence couldn't make use of any corrections

Do you have any ideas what could cause this? Presently only one device is working correctly regarding SBAS; the GeoXH 2008 did so as well prior to updating TerraSync.

I am looking forward to your answers.

Regards

Henning

------------------------------
    Henning

• 2.  RE: different GeoXH models; SBAS issues; TerraSync
    Best Answer

Posted 01-22-2021 06:42
    Hi Henning

For the 6000 series this is largely a compatibility issue and to resolve this you need to update several software and firmware components (all of which are free with the exception of out of maintenance Terrasync software)

First you will need to update your Geo6000 units to the latest OS and GNSS firmware via the downloads page here
    • Install or update to 6.5.10 OS (latest for this model)
    • Install GNSS firmware v4.02.2 (latest and last for this model)
    • Please refer to the release notes for installation instructions and guidance
    You will then need to ensure you have a minimum of Terrasync v5.60 (this is for compatibility requirements with the updated GNSS firmware)
    • To download Terrasync v5.60 you need the downloads page here
    • To install Terrasync 5.60 you require a software maintenance expiry date is on or after 11 November 2013
    You will also need to update and install the SBAS.ini file also on the Terrasync downloads page

I would then suggest you do the following In Terrasync
    1. Start Terrasync and go to the SETUP > Real-time Settings > Integrated SBAS > Additional settings (spanner symbol)
    2. Tracking mode > select Custom > disable all SV's apart from EGNOS PRN 123 and 136

3. Override Health Heed warning
    4. Select OK
    5. Go back to the SETUP menu
    6. Connect and execute the receiver reset
    7. Leave the unit to track again in an area with a clear view of the sky over a 15min period - this should be enough time to update ephemeris and lock on to the SBAS correction signal
    8. I expect PRN136 will be the dominant satellite for your location so you may even want to disable PRN 123

The GeoExplorer 2008 series will likely not track this...

I anticipate the GeoXH2008 series GPS firmware will not be able to track the updated signals due to it's age. As you mention, PRN 120 is not even listed in the SBAS.ini nor is it operational If you look at the EGNOS Real-Time Status page
    To manage your expectations, the 2008 series is over 12 years old now and reached it's end of life in 2013. The unit is no longer sold, supported or serviced. My best suggestion is for you to reach out to your local Trimble reseller and upgrade your HW to something more modern and importantly supported.
    • You can use the dealer locator URL to find your nearest reseller: Where to Buy | Trimble Geospatial
    • Your reseller will also be able to offer any technical or service related advice as well as answer any sales questions you have If you want to look at upgrading

You can take a look at the updated product portfolio pages here GIS Data Collection & Integration | Trimble Geospatial to see what MGIS solutions we offer currently

Tom Harrison