Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

TerraSync UTF-8

• 1.  TerraSync UTF-8

Posted 10-05-2021 07:22
    I'm sharing my projects with Russian speaking collegues. We are all working with the Geo7X and TerraSync, I'm in German language, the collegues in Russian. Now we would like to share exported shapefiles, but we are having problems seeing notes which were done in Russian on our desktop computer, there are just "???" - question marks. So does actually TerraSync support the UTF-8? Do I have a choice on how to export shapefiles via file manager? The attributes are actually in English, but notes are either done in Russian or German. Thanks for helpful remarks!

------------------------------
    Kristina Brottka

• 2.  RE: TerraSync UTF-8

Posted 10-07-2021 07:41
    Hi Kristina

If I understand the question here, the limitation lies with the *.dbf file format and not Terrasync as such.
    The *.dbf will have a DOS ASCII codification and so won't support some of these cyrillic characters.
    If you google round the topic there are some ways to convert a *.dbf to UTF-8 which may help here

For example, If ArcMap is the GIS package they had a work around via a text based *.cpg file where you could enter the encoding and If displaying the shapefile in ArcMAP this would correctly encode the *.dbf
    1. Create  txt file
    2. Name it the same as the shapefile with a *.cpg extension
    3. In the file write UTF-8
    4. Save
    5. Load the shapefile into ArcMAP
    There's a more sophisticated technical article How To: Read and write shapefile and dBASE files encoded in various code pages that talks you through an inbuilt conversion tool in later version of ArcGIS
    If you reach out to your local Trimble reseller or Trimble support directly I'm with the files we might be able to help.

Tom Harrison