Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Can't receive correction info using internal GNSS on Nomad 5

• 1.  Can't receive correction info using internal GNSS on Nomad 5

Posted 12-01-2021 10:56
    I guess the first question is: is the Nomad 5 even capable of receiving differential correction info from SBAS, using only the internal receiver?

I'm using the GNSS Status app and have set the primary correction source as NTRIP, and the secondary source as SBAS. When using NTRIP, the GNSS Status app shows a connection receiving data, but it doesn't seem to affect the accuracy at all. I can never get below 3 meters. If the correction source is set to only use SBAS, the Nomad 5 doesn't appear to even track the SBAS satellites (in the Status page of the GNSS Status app, under the "Satellites by System" section, the 'In Use' and 'Tracked' columns always remain at zero for SBAS).

If I pair the Nomad 5 with a R1, I can receive correction info from both NTRIP and SBAS no problem, but I was hoping to use SBAS without a secondary receiver paired over Bluetooth. Is this possible?

The Nomad 5 I'm using is running Android 9, and the NEO-M8T receiver firmware version is 3.01. I also work for the Department of the Interior, so I don't know if there are some enterprise IT settings throwing a wrench in things. Any help is appreciated!

------------------------------
    Michael Shelley

• 2.  RE: Can't receive correction info using internal GNSS on Nomad 5
    Best Answer

Posted 12-02-2021 12:59
    Hi Michael

Nomad 5 uses a u-blox M8-T GNSS receiver internally, and u-blox can certainly use SBAS.  The u-blox is not very selective about what corrections it used - u-blox is happy to use SBAS corrections even if you are not in the geographic zone they are designed for, while R1 will only use in-zone corrections - so if R1 uses SBAS I would expect u-blox to use SBAS as well.  It's possible that the SBAS system for your region is not enabled - to check this, run the Internal GNSS application which is built in to the OS, this lets you individually enable WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS, SDCM, GAGAN, and AUSNZ.

One more thing about SBAS is that the satellites are Geostationary over the equator, so you need a good view to the South (assuming "Department of the Interior" is US Department of the Interior) - the Nomad 5 has an external antenna port so you can plug in a patch antenna and carry that in the stylish Trimble antenna cap (if that's still available) or on a backpack.

Now to the question of NTRIP corrections.  The M8-T will use NTRIP corrections, but it is limited in what types it will use - it will only use RTCM 2.x DGPS or DGNSS corrections, and it will only use GPS  satellites in the corrected position.  Nowadays most corrections are probably RTCM 3.x or CMR / CMRx because that's what surveyors and construction want for higher-accuracy RTK solutions - R1 will use these and give a DGNSS solution but u-blox will not use these.  Have a look for NTRIP streams which are described as RTCM2 and / or DGPS or DGNSS, you should have more success with those.

Norman Smart

• 3.  RE: Can't receive correction info using internal GNSS on Nomad 5

Posted 12-02-2021 16:04
    Hi Norman, 

Thanks for the response. Can you provide any screenshots or more detailed info on how to check the settings for SBAS in the GNSS Status app? I can't find the option to individually enable WAAS, EGNOS, etc.

Michael Shelley

• 4.  RE: Can't receive correction info using internal GNSS on Nomad 5

Posted 12-02-2021 16:11
    Hi Michael

It's not in the GNSS Status app.  There's an "Internal GNSS" app that's part of the Nomad 5 OS (my OS is Android 9, Build 20200331-0239).

Norman Smart