Trimble Connect User Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How does adding point cloud via URL work in Trimble Connect desktop? Where does point cloud need to be hosted?

• 1.  How does adding point cloud via URL work in Trimble Connect desktop? Where does point cloud need to be hosted?

Posted 03-07-2019 13:58

I saw a note in the release notes that mentions "URL support for streaming Potree point clouds." I haven't been able to locate any additional documentation on the workflow.

• 2.  Re: How does adding point cloud via URL work in Trimble Connect desktop? Where does point cloud need to be hosted?

Posted 03-11-2019 01:01

Hi Gustav,

You should check Potree.org's getting started: Potree 

That instructions relies on having Apache running, it can be installed using the XAMPP package.

After you have converted the point cloud using the potreeconverter, you should be able to mimic the functionality using Apache to be able to make it work with other web servers also.

Hopefully this helps.

Best regards,

Marko Myllymaa

• 3.  Re: How does adding point cloud via URL work in Trimble Connect desktop? Where does point cloud need to be hosted?

Posted 03-18-2019 16:15

Marko

Thank you for the info. I've downloaded and installed the recommended applications. I wasn't able to deploy successfully. The information on the potree.og website doesn't go in-depth. Is there anyone that you know of that has published a Potree point cloud to the web successfully I can talk to?

Regards,

Gustav

• 4.  Re: How does adding point cloud via URL work in Trimble Connect desktop? Where does point cloud need to be hosted?

Posted 03-20-2019 00:04

Hi Gustav,

If you follow exactly the instuctions on the potree.org site, you should have your web pages located in the folder:

C:\XAMPP\htdocs

It should no be necessary to install the XAMPP if you have the web server already set up.

Just run the converter, and take the output (what's in C:\xampp\htdocs\potree) and place that in correct place on your web server.

Does this help?

Best regards,

Marko Myllymaa

• 5.  Re: How does adding point cloud via URL work in Trimble Connect desktop? Where does point cloud need to be hosted?

Posted 11-25-2019 11:56

Hi Marko,

I managed to convert las-file as mentioned from potree. I can also open the html-file in browser and see the point-cloud.

what URL do I need to give as input in Trimble Connect?

In my browser I just type in:
    http://localhost/potree/pageName.html 

and it works fine.

Does it matter that my apache-server is not connected to internet?

Thanks for any help

Kind regards

Chris