Trimble Connect User Forum

View Only

Move Point Cloud

Julio Cesar Alonso Martinez's profile image
Julio Cesar Alonso Martinez posted 10-19-2021 03:45
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to move point clouds in trimble connect desktop.

Thanks very much,
Darshan Rajaram Kamat's profile image
Darshan Rajaram Kamat
Hi Julio,
Could you please clarify what do you mean by Move point clouds? 

Regards
Darshan Kamat

cc// @Jari Juntunen
Julio Cesar Alonso Martinez
Hi Darshan,

Yes, I try to clarificate. I have a cloud points file extensión *.e57 incorporated into the cloud point trimble connect and I don't see the botton to move this file like I can move files *.ifc

*.e57 File

ifc file

Regards,
Julio Alonso
Jari Juntunen's profile image
Jari Juntunen
Hello Julio,

Moving point clouds (also known as positioning / aligning) is currently not supported in Connect for Windows (desktop). The reason for this is that in the original identified point cloud workflow, the point clouds were always scanned in world coordinates to the correct place. So in the currently supported workflow the BIM models are moved/positioned to align with the point cloud while the point cloud stays in the original place.

Could you briefly describe your use case / workflow why you need to move/position the point cloud in Connect? This would be very helpful for us when thinking about possible future improvements.

Kind regards,
Jari
Hi Jari,

Thanks so much. In my case the point clouds wasn't t scanned in world coordinates because of being it in a space into a factory. I got a solution taking a same (0,0,0) coordinates in the differents models (tekla, revit and Recap).

Kind regards,
Julio Alonso,

Jari Juntunen's profile image
Jari Juntunen
Hello Julio,

Thank you for the feedback. We now understand the use case and the need to move the point clouds. I have recorded this as an improvement request in the backlog.

Best regards,
Jari
Mark Andrews's profile image
Mark Andrews

Hi there,

Has there been any update/progress with regards to this? I notice that you can move Point Clouds in Trimble Connect for Browser (Web). Are we any nearer being able to move Point Clouds within Trimble Connect for Windows (Desktop)?

Cheers,
Mark

Yves van Loon's profile image
Yves van Loon
We need this too, sometimes the position of the point cloud is just random.
In TStructures it is already possible to reposition the point cloud, it would be great if this could be developed the same way for TrimbleConnect.

Thanks,
Yves
Hi,

Thanks Mark,

But I only use cloud point from desktop, I don't know how I can see cloud points from TRIMBLE CONNECT WEB. Could you sent a link with the example.
Yves van Loon's profile image
Yves van Loon
Any news on this subject?