Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Trimble Access Static File Bloat

• 1.  Trimble Access Static File Bloat

Posted 12-29-2021 09:53
    I'm establishing a workflow to use Trimble Access to configure a R12i to collect a static file intended for use in a NGS OPUS-Shared solution.  When logging to the R12i (Receiver) the file can only be collected as a .T04.  When logging to Trimble Access (controller) the file is recorded as a .T02.  I would like to program the R12i to record .T02 files on the Receiver because they are around 1/10 the size.  Is there a way to do this from Trimble Access?  .T04 files are so large they are nearly impossible to copy via bluetooth.

I do see that I'm able to configure the R12i to collect .T02 data from the web browser using it's WiFi connection, but I would like to do this from Trimble Access as I'm teaching others to use the software.

------------------------------
    Neil Winn
    US National Park Service

• 2.  RE: Trimble Access Static File Bloat
    Best Answer

Posted 12-30-2021 08:47
    Neil, 

Any mobile device or computer with wifi enabled and a web browser can hit the 192.168.142.1. Once you are connected to the webui, Under Data Logging just click on Default. You can make any changes that the NPS requires e.g. .t02 (see image below). You can even have NPS folks click on Enable. This will function like the old power up app using configuration tool box. Every time the unit is turned on, it will automatically start logging a static session. You are correct that there currently isn't any way of choosing to force log a T02 to the receiver when using a Fast Static GNSS Survey Style in Trimble Access. 

Mel Philbrook

• 3.  RE: Trimble Access Static File Bloat

Posted 01-03-2022 06:27
    Thanks Mel.  I made some instructions for our field staff using their web browser.  I'm more concerned with novice users who get educated on Trimble Access then need to transfer a file.  If a .T04 is necessary then it seems reasonable to me that Access should be able to switch to WiFi for data transfer similar to a SX10/12.  Or maybe allow for Rinex direct download given the receiver software has the ability to convert.

Anyway, thanks for the workaround.

Neil Winn

• 4.  RE: Trimble Access Static File Bloat

Posted 01-06-2022 08:40
    Hi Neil

FYI - this community covers the Trimble MGIS Data Collection Product portfolio (which doesn't Include Trimble Access unfortunately)
    @Mel Philbrook has given you a great response here (thanks Mel!) but for future TA and TBC related questions I would use the Trimble Business Centre community, the majority of the user base In that community will be TA users and so give you the best chance of a solution/ response

Tom Harrison

• 5.  RE: Trimble Access Static File Bloat

Posted 01-10-2022 14:15
    Edited by Norman Smart 01-10-2022 16:55
    Hi Neil

As general information (it won't help with your problem), the T04 format is not the cause of the file bloat you've noticed.

If you capture the same information in T02 and T04 files on an older receiver (i.e. without the Inertial features of R12i), the T04 file will generally be quite a bit smaller than the equivalent T02 file.  Apparently T04 from R12i by default contains some high-rate inertial data.

Norman Smart

• 6.  RE: Trimble Access Static File Bloat

Posted 01-10-2022 14:56
    Hi Neil,
    Just saw this post and gave a test on my end.  A 15 minute static file stored on the receiver head of an R12i took over 15 minutes to transfer via BT.  A T02 file from an R12 with same amount of epochs took 7 seconds.  As you discovered, and Mel (thanks) the WEB GUI would work, but this is not the way we want to teach our users.     WE have mountains of R12i's to train on in coming months and this is a show stopper.  We want our T* file to be stored inside the construct of a Job File.  A user could be using an integrated survey method for example, and we don't want folks stepping outside into the webgui (oh, and a password....) to set the base and pp later.

Trimble, if the WebGUI folks discovered this and figured out a solution, please ensure Access, maybe within a survey style, has the check box to "store as T02".  This bloating is likely the cause of all the ProPoint, IMU stuff the R12i can shove into a file, but were talking a static solution, one that we use EVERYDAY to store only GPS sat data for OPUS solutions since not all of us in the world have cell, internet, and a satellite that is above our heads!

Thanks for the attention to this matter.  Great catch Neil.

Joel Cusick

• 7.  RE: Trimble Access Static File Bloat

Posted 02-09-2023 15:23

Hi Neil. Just making sure you know that the v5.60 Firmware is now available, and the default format for data logging was changed to T04 to avoid the file bloat issue. Here's the FW release notes.

Brendon Edge
    Geospatial Support Manager
    Trimble New Zealand

• 8.  RE: Trimble Access Static File Bloat

Posted 02-10-2023 10:31

Yes, thanks Brendon.  Bloated static files are no more.  I tested this morning using the 6.2FW (specific to the R12i) is fixed.  See Trimble Survey GNSS Firmware Release Notes v5.60_6.20 February 2023

Joel Cusick