Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

TDC600 and Trimble VRSnow

• 1.  TDC600 and Trimble VRSnow

Posted 03-02-2022 03:07
    I bought a TDC 600 from Korec Ireland they were told it would work with my existing vrsnow setup , I am currently using a Geo 6000 it works well but it is a windows mobile set up and the camera is not great.
    I like the TDC as as the screen is larger , camera is better and I can add apps to it, I can use Trimble catelist but it adds a lot of bulk to the set up and it costs double the price of my vrs subscription.
    Trimble sell vrs as surveying setup, Korec have tried all sorts of work arounds but it seems to be a hardware issue.
    I may have to return it but is there anyone else who has this issue or is there any way to get vrs to connect ,
    Thanks

------------------------------
    David Donlon

• 2.  RE: TDC600 and Trimble VRSnow
    Best Answer

Posted 03-03-2022 18:59
    Hi David

What sort of accuracy are you looking for, and what application are you trying to use?

According to the datasheet, the TDC600 has an internal u-blox M8-T GNSS receiver - this only supports SBAS and DGPS / DGNSS corrections (technically, it supports RTCM2.x DGNSS, not RTCM2.x RTK or RTCM3.x or CMR or CMRx, etc.)  It's not my area, so I don't know whether VRSNow still has any DGPS / DGNSS correction streams.  M8-T will only ever correct GPS satellites.  And even using SBAS or DGPS / DGNSS corrections, you will not get better than about 2M accuracy with an M8-T.  I'm also not up-to-date with Trimble software, so I'm not sure what applications would be able to feed a correction stream to the M8-T on a TDC600.

If you want accuracy equivalent to Geo6000XH (decimeter-level) or even Geo6000XT (sub-meter), you will need to use an external GNSS receiver with the TDC600.

Norman Smart

• 3.  RE: TDC600 and Trimble VRSnow

Posted 03-04-2022 02:58
    I am using the VRS now which gets me down to 10cm accuracy , I use K-Mobile from Korec on my Geo6000 (using windows mobile) and it is on the TDC600 (Andriod). I have been told by Korec its a hardware issue which tallies with what you have said.
    Years ago I did try post processing as an option , I will ask if this is an option now.

Thanks for the reply

David Donlon

• 4.  RE: TDC600 and Trimble VRSnow

Posted 03-06-2022 13:33
    Unfortunately I don't know anything about the Korec software so I can just describe the Trimble applications I've used.

In Trimble TerraSync / Pathfinder Office days, Trimble post-processing did support some (Windows and Windows Mobile / WEHH) Trimble data collectors using M8-T.  Trimble TerraFlex allows post-processing and it runs on Android but I have not used this feature, I don't know if it supports M8-T on TDC600 or only external Trimble receivers.  In any case, the Pathfinder Office post-processed accuracy for M8-T was about the same as you could achieve in real time - realistically around 2M in open-sky conditions - that doesn't sound useful if you are looking for 10cm.

Norman Smart

• 5.  RE: TDC600 and Trimble VRSnow

Posted 03-06-2022 14:09
    I concur with Norman's summary.

TDC600's internal GPS receiver is better than a typical smart phone, but not the same class of receiver as the GeoExplorer which has a dedicated GNSS receiver and a large antenna, specifically designed for high-accuracy work. The use of a correction service helps - but only if the GNSS receiver you are using it with is also capable of reaching the higher performance you require.

In terms of using TDC600 with Catalyst, the latest version of the hardware (the DA2 receiver) provides accuracy down to 1cm and is compatible with the TDC600 and most other Android or iOS devices. There is a new accessory for the DA2 which allows it to be used in a handheld configuration. More details here: https://geospatial.trimble.com/accessory/catalyst-handle

If you are considering using Catalyst with DA2 in the UK or Ireland, you do not need a separate subscription to the local VRS Now service - the decimetre-level (10 cm) subscription to Catalyst - known as "Catalyst 10" is available as either a monthly or yearly service, and includes access to all required corrections to as part of the subscription cost. The UK and Ireland is fully covered by the Trimble VRS Now (TVN) network, and will automatically use that in this region. In the even that you are not able to connect to the internet in the field, Catalyst is also able to use Trimble RTX, which is a satellite-delivered correction format to achieve the same level of precision. The behaviour of Catalyst is that it will fall-back automatically to use the best available correction service.

Gareth Gibson