Trimble Connect User Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to synchronise TSC7

• 1.  How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 01-16-2019 21:52

Hi,

I used to use Trimble Office Synchronizer for years. Now I am trying to wrap my head around TSC7.

I have TSC7 connected to the internet and logged into Trimble Connect.

I have a project set up and files uploaded into Trimble Connect.

I can see the project on TSC7 but not the files.

I am running on my desktop: Trimble Connect, Trimble Connect Sync, Trimble Sync Manager and Trimble Clarity Publisher.

Is there a way to make TSC7 work like TSC2 or TSC3? Just to click "sync" and synchronise data on the controller with the data on the master folder on the computer?

Regards,

Marian Plucinski

• 2.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 02-15-2019 07:02

I would like to know the same thing.

We just had it working with the TSC3's

Best regards,

Gerard-jan Bosse

• 3.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 03-21-2019 17:13

Hello,

I do not have experience of Trimble Office Synchronizer so will answer by stating what is possible. My answer is slanted towards Trimble Access solutions.

Trimble Access 2018 and on use the Trimble Sync Manger process. This uses Trimble Sync Manager in the office to create jobs ready for download and use in Trimble Access.

If you wish to make data files available to any controller connecting to the project without creating jobs it is possible to upload the files as project reference files using the Trimble Sync Manger desktop application.

It is possible to install Trimble Access 2017 on the TSC7. Trimble Access 2017 continues to use AccessSync which is closer to the file synchronization you describe. Trimble Connect Sync would be used in the office to synchronize the files.

Another option is to install Trimble Connect Sync on both the office PC and the TSC7 and map folders within a project.

All of the options above use the Trimble Connect cloud.

Regards

Chay

• 4.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 04-16-2019 19:01

Hi Chay,

I like the multiple approaches on this front.

Out of interest - is it possible to sync Trimble Access System Files like TCC was able to?

Thanks, Liam

• 5.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 10-23-2019 16:13

Hi Liam,

I've only just seen this question.

For Trimble AccessSync in Trimble Access 2017.x which is file based

For files downloaded from Connect to a controller:

1. Files that contain the word 'common' in the directory or file name are diverted to /Trimble Data/Common on the controller regardless of file extension.
    2. Files with these extensions:

'cdg' 'csd' 'csw' 'ddf' 'dat' 'fal' 'fcl' 'fxl' 'ggf' 'ini' 'ixl' 'jot' 'log' 'mcd' 'pgf' 'pjg' 'rtd' 'sgf' 'sss' 'sty' 'xsl' 

are downloaded to /Trimble Data/System files/ no matter what directory they came from.

1. .xml files are also downloaded to  /Trimble Data/System files/ unless they are LandXML files which we detect by looking for the following schema reference inside the XML file:

xmlns="http://www.landxml.org/schema/LandXML

1. All other files are downloaded to /Trimble Data/<user>/<project>/

For Trimble Access 2018 to current which is file and task based

If the file has an extension which identifies it as belonging to the \System Files\ directory, Trimble Sync Manager will direct it to be added as a project reference file. This can be done either during create job or in Project properties - Project reference files. Any files added will be automatically downloaded and synchronized with the controller. This is currently a one way sync. If the files are edited on a controller they would show a conflict and the user can select to keep what is on the controller or overwrite.

For Trimble ConnectSync which is file based

Synchronization can be specified for each project down to a folder level.

Here is a link on how to use it. Trimble Connect Sync - User Guide 

Regards

Chay

• 6.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 10-23-2019 14:35

G'day folks,

I would like the TSC7 synchroniser to work similarly to the TSC2 and TSC3 synchronisers.  I realise Trimble is at the forefront of progress, but this new synchroniser is cumbersome and very, very, very time consuming.  I need the synchroniser to download all new files from the controller at one hit and to delete AND archive all folders previously removed from the computer directory.  It was a great system that works well.  That way we can view and use the data as, and when, we want to, and not have to download each and every job singularly.

If I am mistaken and a true synchroniser is avalilable, my supplier has not been able to show me where it is.

Does anybody have any options, other than regressing to a previous version of Access.

Thanks,

Darryl

• 7.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 10-23-2019 15:01

Seconded

• 8.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 10-23-2019 17:12

Thanks Chay,

But I don't think you've answered the question.  Whilst you explained reasons why the program doesn't do what we need, can we get it adjusted so that it does do what we need?

Is Trimble Connect Sync the same program, or does it do what we need.  I read the link you provided but am still unconvinced that is what we're after.  And after reading the comments below it appears to be more time consuming.

Darryl

• 9.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 01-21-2020 14:53

A couple of months have passed now, and we still don't have an answer to the question.  How can we get a synchronising program that does exactly what the previous synchronising programs did, synchronise and archive?

Darryl

• 10.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 09-22-2020 12:59

Bump

• 11.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 09-24-2020 13:14

G'day again folks,

I'm not a regular user to this or any other forum, so I'm not sure what 'Bump' means.  It may be that this topic has now been sidelined.

This is very disappointing, as this issue has not been rectified, such that I no longer use a Trmble product to upload/download to the TSC7, and obviously Trimble are not going to help.

If someone has developed a system to complete the synchronising for Access like we used to have I'm all ears.  It can be done for SCS900 via a USB stick, but Access doesn't recognise a stick.

Thanks,

• 12.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 09-30-2020 06:11

Bump just basically brings it back to the top of the list on a forum.

The only way I've been able to deal with with syncing my TSC7s is using a Synology drive our IT department setup and using the Synology drive client. The problem I run into is that I don't have any control over what's being synced, and if something has been deleted I can't access it because IT won't give me admin rights to access the recycling bin on the Synology. 

• 13.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 09-30-2020 09:19

The TSC7 is a windows device and as such is subject to file structure. I don't use Access but it has to grab its data from somewhere...if you can figure out where that somewhere is, there should be no reason you cant upload from a thumb-drive. All Design data for me comes out of the C: regardless of using Siteworks or SCS900. 

• 14.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 09-30-2020 09:14

I personally utilize TCC file space for all the sync actions. It is too easy and I don't have to deal with constant windows issues. I don't know how much time I have waisted try to get sync manager to work on TSC3's. Then date and time needs to be accurate on the controller or the loss of data will most certainly occur. With TCC there is a cost associated per device but the benefits are worth it. Just need a device active, some inter-webs and design data as well as field data is basically immediately accessible. 

• 15.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 10-25-2020 20:22

@Darryl Gowlett@Liam Curran

#tsc7sync #synchronize #officesynchronizer

G'day I think that we may have the solution that you wish for.

We are surveyors in Western Australia that use TSC7's with the latest version of Access and utilize Office Synchronizer to backup and transfer data to and from the TSC7 controller.

This is how we do it:-

TSC7 Controller

As mentioned previously Access 2017 utilized Tablet Sync for synchronizing files from the project and system areas of Trimble Access on the TSC7 to the office computer.

1. Check that TabletSync V1.61 is loaded on TSC7, if not proceed to step 4.
    2. Check the settings of TabletSync and that in the installed applications the following is present:- "c:\ProgramData\Trimble\Trimble Data"
    3. If this is present the TSC7 is ready to use TabletSync, if this is not present proceed to step 4.
    4. If Trimble Access is not present as an installed application in the settings of TabletSync or TabletSync is not installed you will need to uninstall Trimble Access and re-install a 2017 Access Version. This can be done by using Trimble Installation Manager (TIM) and picking the previous version of access from the version dropdown at the top of TIM.
    5. Once completed check that items 1 and 2 are completed and then proceed to load latest Access Version via TIM.

Office Computer and IT Setup

When using office synchronizer to sync with the TSC7 via Wireless, you need to make sure the IP address and DNS entry for both the TSC7 and the computer are always the same.

1. On our system, we set a reservation for the IP addresses (static IP) in our DHCP server for both the computer and TSC7. IP address reservations are based on the MAC address of the wireless adapter on the TSC7 and the relevant network adapter on your office computer.
    2. We then add an entry in our DNS server for both the computer and the TSC7.

Example:
      Set a reservation – IP: 192.168.100.105 - Name: Example-PC1 MAC Address: 98:45:C7:D2:43:98:28
      Set a reservation – IP: 192.168.100.115 - Name: Example-TSC7 MAC Address: 80:C5:F2:24:83:E5:45

You may require an IT professional to assist with the network configuration described above as ours was done buy our IT consultant. I have done my best to describe the process and included screenshots below.

Office Synchronizer

Once you have the network configuration sorted you should be able to create a new device in Office Synchronizer named the same as your TSC7. You should then be able to open Office Synchronizer on your PC, open TabletSync on your TSC7 and connect. You may need to allow access through firewalls which your IT consultant should be able to assist with.

Office Synchronizer will now behave as it did with TSC3's with your TSC7 synchronizing files between the device and the office PC.

There is few steps to enable this to happen, however we feel it is well worth the effort with the synchronization process working as reliably as it did with our previous TSC3's.

Hopefully this can solve your issues and if you have queries please post here and I will endeavor to answer them.Server Setup IP configurationServer setup DNS configuration

TSC7 IP configurationTabletSync installed applicationsTabletSync ready to connectTabletSync connectedOffice Synchronizer Connected and Setup

• 16.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 10-25-2020 20:34

Hi Peter,

Wouldn't Trimble Connect Sync on the TSC7 with "Download only" and Trimble Connect Sync with "Local Transfer" on you data server be bit easier?

Admittedly, it requires internet connection. 

• 17.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 10-26-2020 02:23

Hi Marian,

Thanks for the quick feedback, I must admit I looked at Trimble Connect Sync back in March last year and at that time it  wouldn't let you two way sync. This is why we came up with the above solution. I must admit I am probably a bit late in replying to your original question.

It looks like they have since made major improvements to Trimble Connect Sync which warrants further investigation.

I will have a look into it.

Thanks again.

• 18.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 10-26-2020 15:10

Thanks for the highly detail post Peter.

Given your efforts, I'd be very interested to see you thoughts on the more modern Trimble Connect Sync.

Hopefully Trimble is taking note too - I would have thought that Tablet Sync / Office Office Synchronizer should be much more "Plug & Play" to be useful to most end users.

• 19.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 11-02-2020 19:30

@Liam Curran

Hi Marian,

I have had another look at Trimble Connect Sync.

I have found by creating a project in Trimble Connect and changing the location of the synchronized folder I am able to replicate the behavior of Office Synchronizer.

What I did was create a project in Trimble Connect called My TSC7 Backup. I then opened this project on the TSC7 in Trimble Connect Sync, hit advanced and then edited the sync schedule. It is here that I had the ability to change the folder location to C:\Programdata\Trimble\Trimble Data.

I then manually synced this project and had a copy of all of my access system and data files up on the Trimble Connect Server.

The Trimble Connect Sync also has conflict resolution and the options to do Bi-directional, Upload Only, Download only and Local Transfer. This appears to cover all bases and data can be backed up anywhere there is an internet connection.

This is different to creating projects in Trimble Connect and synchronizing each individual project. I am not sure if this is the method you were referring to but this is now my favored alternative for synchronizing Trimble Access data and system files.

• 20.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 11-02-2020 19:40

I prefer not to share contents of Trimble Data, as we have 6 TSC7 controllers on the job and I just want to synch design files, and not setting files between the controllers. Also, not all user have access to all Projects, hence one-project-as-a-time approach in my case.

• 21.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 11-03-2020 17:08

Hi Marian,

Understood thats how you operate.

We have 6 TSC7's as well all assigned to Surveyors, what I was really looking for was a fool proof way to backup data from the TSC7 even those job files that get created in Access by the surveyor in the field.

I understand that if you are on a large project where multiple surveyors are deployed then individual projects through Trimble Connect would be ideal as any design changes can be deployed to all devices instantaneously.

Our situation is a bit different as we have individual surveyors working on lots of different projects, sometimes more than 5 different projects in a day.  It is quite critical for us that surveyors can create projects and new jobs on the fly inside Access and that we can then seamlessly back up that data. This data does not usually get shared between devices.

I have also tried Trimble Sync Manager for this process but it appears to only sync to the cloud those projects that have originally been created in Sync Manager. There does not appear to be an option to create a new project in Access that gets synced back to the cloud.

• 22.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 11-05-2020 09:36

Hi Marian,

You are correct. You can create a project anywhere but wont be able to sync it with Trimble access until it is opened in "Sync Manager". I currently have 10 field crews using it every day, accessing their files and sending the job files back to the cloud at the wend of the day, with photos and notes attached. Whenever we get a new project we make it part of our procedures to create a sync manager project so all can access it when needed. If for some reason the crews need to create a project that is not already set up, we have a miscellaneous project created for each crew for that reason. If you want to get really fancy the field crews can install sync manager on their TSC7 or tablet and create the project there before opening in Access.

It took some time to get everyone on board and proficient with it, but eventually everybody got the hang of it and it works great.  

• 23.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 11-03-2020 19:21

Ok. So I tried it. But Holy Cow what a convoluted path. Let me see if I have the steps down.

1. Create the project in Trimble Sync or Connect.

2. Add all reference files for the project in the main directory.

3. Open Trimble Connect Sync

4. Change the sync location of the project form the default to where is should be

5. Open the sync location in Explorer and copy the folder structure you want in to it

6. Sync the project in Trimble Connect Sync, ensuring it is set to Bi-Directional

7. The folders should now be available for use on the TSC7.

However, this appears to only be usable on the TSC7. These folders are not visible to Trimble Sync. So to create the project with a set folder structure, the project needs to be manually added onto the TSC7. Why can't it just be a part of either Trimble Connect or Trimble Sync? Why do we have to go through so many steps just to have a project folder structure created only to have it not even be accessible in the one program (Trimble Sync) that is supposed to be used with Trimble Access 2020?

The only upside, is if you make a TEMPLATE project, you can create the folders in there and use it repeatedly. Except in Trimble Sync. Where having a folder structure is a great way to organize the survey data. Trimble Connect just seems to throw all the survey data in a single ToDo list, with no regard to the folders used on the data collector.

• 24.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 11-04-2020 00:05

Open a new project in Trimble Connect or Trimble Sync Manager. And then in Trimble Sync Manager under Properties-->Reference you put all your reference files. They will pop up under Configuration file in Trimble Connect.

If you want data from the field download it from Trimble Sync Manager.

If you want them synchronized to some local folder I would recommend One Drive. We have more then 30 controllers used like this and there is no problem for now.

• 25.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 11-05-2020 10:53

I don't have an issue with creating the projects and using them on the TSC7. The issue I have is creating a standardized folder structure which can be used form project to project. The folder structure should be a feature that can be built into the project settings in Trimble Sync and then uploaded to the data collectors when the project is initiated. The folder structure as seen in Trimble Connect is not visible to Trimble Sync. The only two ways to have a folder structure in Trimble Sync is to either have it created on the TSC7 and it gets populated as each job is uploaded, or to manually create it with a job file from within T. Sync.

I have a thread here which shows what I am talking about.

• 26.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 11-03-2020 10:24

Hi Marian,

I use trimble connect with a TSC7 daily. It is very convenient and easy to use. I even take pictures with my cell phone using the Trimble connect app and attach it to my job file or "To DO". "To DO" is what your job file is called once it is sent to connect. In order for the TSC7 to talk with Connect and be able to share files you must create the connection between the two by opening the project or creating a new project using Trimble sync manager. https://downloads.trimblegeospatial.com/TrimbleSyncManager/TrimbleSyncManagerInstaller-x64.exe?accessToken=30381b2e425d3… 

• 27.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 11-03-2020 10:28

PS: Don't get mixed up between  "Trimble connect sync" and "Trimble sync manager". They are two different programs. 

"Trimble connect sync" links your projects directly to your hard drive.

"Trimble sync manager" connects Trimble access to the connect cloud. "Trimble sync Manager" is what you are looking for in order to share files directly with Trimble access.

• 28.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 11-06-2020 01:01

Hello

I was confused by this when I first started using the TSC7.

By far the easiest and quickest way to move data between the TSC7 and a PC (no matter if you are using access or sitework) is to installed Dropbox, Onedrive, Google Drive or some other free cloud based platform.

Change the file directory location of access to place it in Dropbox.

Now you can easily upload files to the TSC7 from the PC and files you create on the TSC7 will instantly appear on the PC. You surveys will be back at the office before you lead the field! This approach has the added advantage of constantly backing up you data so if you drop the logger you data is safe!

It requires and internet connection obviously (if your using VRS you will have this anyway or you can create a hotspot from your phone) but I find this method extremely convenient and much quickly than connect.

If you read the Siteworks manual this is an approach Trimble suggest.

Hope that helps!

• 29.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 11-09-2020 10:21

The argument to use Trimble Sync with the TSC7 though, is that it directly connects the field data to TBC. It also allows status updates to be applied to the field data so you can easily manage and track the files. Using a third party file transfer program, you need to manually keep track of which files have been downloaded and added into the project. Using T. Sync, you can easily push updated project files to the survey crew without the added steps of altering the save location of each project on each TSC7.

Trimble Connect is not very good at managing the field data from what I see. Trimble Sync is a fair bit better I find.

• 30.  Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 11-24-2020 01:34

Hi Sam,

Very interested in this.

Would you be able to expand a little bit more about changing the file directory location of access to place it in Dropbox.

• 31.  RE: Re: How to synchronise TSC7

Posted 05-13-2021 10:02
    Sam, how do you change the directory in trimble access?

------------------------------
    matt fleischman
    ------------------------------