Trimble Connect User Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to share Point Clouds whit other users

• 1.  How to share Point Clouds whit other users

Posted 11-05-2019 14:50
      |   view attached

Hi to all,

I'm trying to share one point cloud with other users, I'm adding the cloud in the desktop viewer and after few minutes I'm able to see it with my IFC model.

The problem is for other people in the project, even if they see the pointcloud in the list, they cannot see it and the eye is grey.

Also the file is only 1KB

Is there a way for them to see the cloud in their viewer?

Regards

• 2.  Re: How to share Point Clouds whit other users

Posted 12-06-2019 02:43

Hi

Same behavior here. Some Clouds we have uploaded in a early project stage, are working flawless. Sharing with others has not been a problem. But since Tuesday, sharing pointclouds is not possible anymore. We can upload the clouds as LAS, you will see the entry in the project browser as shown above. But you can not make it visible. We contacted the support here in Switzerland, no reaction so far. Is there a storage space limit per project? Or any other limitations?

Best regards

Fadri

• 3.  Re: How to share Point Clouds whit other users

Posted 01-24-2020 14:22

Hi Andoni

Have you got a solution for this problem? Wondering if you get rid of it.

I have never got an answer from the support about this problem.

Best regards

Fadri

• 4.  Re: How to share Point Clouds whit other users

Posted 01-29-2020 07:16

No

We just use navisworks to check ifc models with pointclouds, but only inside our local network.

Regards

Andoni

• 5.  Re: How to share Point Clouds whit other users

Posted 03-05-2020 12:39

I think I was able to view point clouds that were uploaded to TC by selecting ONLY the point cloud file (.las or .laz at least) and then the orange view button. After this the point cloud was added to the point cloud list as any other point cloud and works when viewing multiple models as well.

I haven't tried the newest versions. I believe viewing an uploaded cload is a single time event, ie. If the point cloud file changes the point cloud in the users model view will not update automatically.

• 6.  Re: How to share Point Clouds whit other users

Posted 03-12-2020 23:48

Hi

I was also struggling over this. Here is the answer from TC support:

The uploaded pointcloud files from the workstation won't work on the different machine at this stage as the app only created link to the file path from the workstation machine. The project team members need to have a raw pointcloud data (i.e. DB, JS, LAS, LAZ, XYZ, TDX, TZF, E57 etc.) and have to upload files manually from their machine to view the pointclouds in 3D viewer.

• 7.  Re: How to share Point Clouds whit other users

Posted 03-13-2020 00:33

So, What is the purpose of importing via url?

• 8.  Re: How to share Point Clouds whit other users

Posted 03-13-2020 00:43

If you are running a potree Server, you can link the url from those Pointclouds to your project.

TC Support:

There is another way to add pointclouds to the project by using Add URL, however, you have to setup the server for streaming portrees and allow users to get access of point clouds through your company network or web's server as another workaround. Let me know if you keen to explore this option and I will share the details with you if required.

• 9.  Re: How to share Point Clouds whit other users

Posted 03-13-2020 00:59

Yes it interests me a lot to have more information:

- How to generate the potree file?
    - Can the potree file be stored in a Trimble Connect folder?

Thank you

• 10.  Re: How to share Point Clouds whit other users

Posted 03-13-2020 08:34

Hi,

it is possible to share information about Potree i TC desktop or web or mobile?

Many thaks

Pavel Vlasak

https://www.linkedin.com/in/pavel-vlas%C3%A1k-75b63552/ 

vlapa01@gmail.com

• 11.  Re: How to share Point Clouds whit other users

• 12.  RE: Re: How to share Point Clouds whit other users

Posted 10-01-2021 02:41
    If the pointcloud files are in Microsoft sharepoint, can you make them visible for everyone accessing the TC model? Should they be visible, since the sharepoint url should be the same for every user if they have access rights to sharepoint.

------------------------------
    Tomi Jokiranta

• 13.  RE: Re: How to share Point Clouds whit other users

Posted 10-02-2021 04:10
    I just gave that a try, doesn't seem to work. Would be really nice though. 

I'd also be interested if there is a way to have the cloud on a Webserver that requires authentication and still use it in Trimble connect web. That'd great.

Tobias Steinhardt

• 14.  RE: Re: How to share Point Clouds whit other users

Posted 10-02-2021 14:54
    Edited by Tero Laine 10-02-2021 16:49
    There are apparent reservations at Trimble about this topic and it has been difficult to get water proof instructions how to upload a cloud to webserver and get a URL which can be used inside Tekla Structures and Trimble Connect by anyone, or keep it restricted. I am not sure what is the reason for this ...is streaming point cloud deemed worse for users than always having to load cloud locally, and therefore not promoted by Trimble?
    The most information about this has been here on forum from user to user, have you come across any information by Trimble?

Best Regards,
    T Laine

• 15.  RE: Re: How to share Point Clouds whit other users

Posted 10-03-2021 22:56
    One problem with local point clouds is that computer's drive gets full. Perhaps next we'll try network drive and see if that works. It would be quite an enhancement if the point clouds would be visible for everyone accessing the connect model without downloading the files to one's own computer.

• 16.  RE: How to share Point Clouds whit other users

Posted 10-05-2021 01:32
    Hi, i had the beta Version where you could upload pointclouds after import in tc desktop. It seems like it`s not working anymore.
    Anyway, i found a workaround:
    • Import pointcloud in tc Desktop
    • look for the .db file that is generated by connect
    • upload it into the "pointcloud" folder
    Now everybody with the desktop version see`s the cloud and can activate it over the pointcloud tab on the right

Sven Jung